Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That wouldn't really be a problem as there are certain churches that aren't quite as hostile toward gays and lesbians.
That's another huge complaint I have with the pro-gay marriage side.

They have successfully convinced people that churches who don't support gay marriage are automatically hostile towards gays and lesbians.

And that just reaks of a spoiled-brat mentality that 'if you don't agree with everything I want, then you obviously hate me and Im going to come after you."

They don't want dialogue, they don't want to come to an understanding. No, they only want to rattle off a list of demands, everyone else be damned.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I'm not crazy about interracial marriages because it puts the children
Now I am slowly losing that respect for you. This is just crap as I come from a multi racial family and also know plenty of bi-racial children. The only thing they complain about are people like you who say they have it hard which then makes it hard.

I need to stop with this topic.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, you simply expect Person A to tolerate Person B, even though Person B preaches how awful Person A is.
When during or after the prop 8 campaign has the yes campaign 'preached how awful' gays are?

Ahem. They never did.

That's another lie by the No-on-8 side that their followers have swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That wouldn't really be a problem as there are certain churches that aren't quite as hostile toward gays and lesbians.
Episcopalians and Lutherans allow gay marriage of both lay people and clergy and have been roundly criticized by fellow so-called Christians as being against God!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bull. There was a time when the vast majority of Americans wanted a segregated society and voted accordingly, that is, until the Supreme Court ruled that discrimination is wrong and ended a hundred years of Jim Crow, et al.

So, are you saying that your family fought to keep Jim Crow? Are you saying the majority should always rule, even if what the majority wants is a severe violation of the U. S. Constitution such as denying people their civil rights?

There's a reason we have courts, and a Supreme Court, that does what's right, not what all forms of bigots want.
Re-read what I said about this being a republic. If you need a lesson regarding what it means, I'll be happy to provide it.

I was alive and conscious during those bad old times you referenced and found them apalling. It was incomprehensible to me as a youngster in Alabama to be told I couldn't play with black children because it would "cause problems." It was a lesson I never forgot and I most certainly haven't been a proponent for discrimination.

It's likely that this will eventually go to the Supreme Court as well it should to decide the issue once and for all instead of all this piece-mealing. On balance, however, is the issue of state's rights. None of this is as simplistic as you and others are trying to make it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
I find it ironic that Catholics who agree with their bishops against gay marriage even if it applies to their own children then turn on the church in anger when those same bishops condemn Arizona's immigrant law. Can't have it both ways. And I am a Catholic.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's another huge complaint I have with the pro-gay marriage side.

They have successfully convinced people that churches who don't support gay marriage are automatically hostile towards gays and lesbians.

And that just reaks of a spoiled-brat mentality that 'if you don't agree with everything I want, then you obviously hate me and Im going to come after you."

They don't want dialogue, they don't want to come to an understanding. No, they only want to rattle off a list of demands, everyone else be damned.
Never thought I'd see the day you and I would get into it but today's the day lol

There are churches that are hostile toward gays and lesbians. No way you can convince me otherwise since I've been to such churches. There's a Pentecostal church here in San Diego that's exactly that. I've been to other protestant churches that are the same way. Why do you think so many blacks voted for prop 8? Most blacks are protestant and many (though not all) of those churches openly criticized the gay lifestyle. If you're not on the receiving end, it's easy to miss how this may be hostile. However, when an institution that of any kind, church or otherwise basically tells you that you are not entitled to the same treatment as those whom they deem "acceptable", that's hostile.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Tough to argue with the judge's ruling. They pretty much nailed it cold.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
When during or after the prop 8 campaign has the yes campaign 'preached how awful' gays are?

Ahem. They never did.

That's another lie by the No-on-8 side that their followers have swallowed hook, line and sinker.
That is not true at all. There were churches here in San Diego that did exactly that.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Episcopalians and Lutherans allow gay marriage of both lay people and clergy and have been roundly criticized by fellow so-called Christians as being against God!
I don't even care if a church performs gay marriage. Go right ahead.

But I do see a huge battle emerging where churches who do not perform gay marriages are going to have to explain themselves as if they are preaching something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California