U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 937 times

Advertisements

Hi all, longtime lurker but I thought I'd register to ask a question.

My husband and I live in Northern California, but I hate the area we're in. I'd love to move somewhere else... unfortunately, my "somewhere else" includes places worldwide, while my husband doesn't want to leave CA. Well, ok, I suppose I can live with that... but we agreed it means I get to pick where (don't worry, he gets veto power ).

It's a long way off, as we're only in our early twenties and still have a fair amount of debt to pay off, but it looks as though in about 4-5 years we should have a significant down payment saved and be ready to find a place of our own.

Unfortunately, I'm both a planner and a dreamer. I want to start looking now! I'm trying to get an idea of where I'd like to live in this state. Hence the post. See, I sort of had a question!

We agree that we'd like a little bit of land (1-5 acres, though 10, if affordable, would be nice). I like cities, he doesn't, but we both want somewhere we can get a good internet connection. 2-3 hours from Sac would be nice, but is by no means necessary. I prefer ocean or mountains (or both!), lots and lots of trees (pines > oaks), and cooler weather. He likes the Mediterranean weather, but acclimates well. We plan for kids (1-4), but we're both handy enough to build/improve a house if the situation calls for it. So house-size (or even a house-- lots are perfectly ok by me) isn't an issue.

As much as I love visiting my SoCal family, I'm not sure I could stand living there.

Oh, and Butte County is preemtively eliminated, because I already live here and utterly loathe the place (except for maybe Paradise/Magalia).

So, after that long and rambling post... is there anywhere you think we should look at? (Internet, decide my life for me! )

ETA: As far as income, it's minimal right now, but he's looking to go into either social work, or water treatment. I'm still undecided (but have some sideline potential-income hobbies, and would kind of like to be a sahm in the long run.)

ETA again because the husband just looked over my shoulder and pointed out that he refuses to live in Humboldt due to the pot.

Last edited by arsenic_and_lace; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: I keep forgetting stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 AM

6,664 posts, read 29,556,184 times
Look at Nevada County like Grass Valley or Nevada City. Both are only 45 miles from Sacramento. Great music scene. Affordable land, light snow.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 AM

15,612 posts, read 39,627,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic_and_lace View Post
Hi all, longtime lurker but I thought I'd register to ask a question.

My husband and I live in Northern California, but I hate the area we're in. I'd love to move somewhere else... unfortunately, my "somewhere else" includes places worldwide, while my husband doesn't want to leave CA. Well, ok, I suppose I can live with that... but we agreed it means I get to pick where (don't worry, he gets veto power ).

It's a long way off, as we're only in our early twenties and still have a fair amount of debt to pay off, but it looks as though in about 4-5 years we should have a significant down payment saved and be ready to find a place of our own.

Unfortunately, I'm both a planner and a dreamer. I want to start looking now! I'm trying to get an idea of where I'd like to live in this state. Hence the post. See, I sort of had a question!

We agree that we'd like a little bit of land (1-5 acres, though 10, if affordable, would be nice). I like cities, he doesn't, but we both want somewhere we can get a good internet connection. 2-3 hours from Sac would be nice, but is by no means necessary. I prefer ocean or mountains (or both!), lots and lots of trees (pines > oaks), and cooler weather. He likes the Mediterranean weather, but acclimates well. We plan for kids (1-4), but we're both handy enough to build/improve a house if the situation calls for it. So house-size (or even a house-- lots are perfectly ok by me) isn't an issue.

As much as I love visiting my SoCal family, I'm not sure I could stand living there.

Oh, and Butte County is preemtively eliminated, because I already live here and utterly loathe the place (except for maybe Paradise/Magalia).

So, after that long and rambling post... is there anywhere you think we should look at? (Internet, decide my life for me! )

ETA: As far as income, it's minimal right now, but he's looking to go into either social work, or water treatment. I'm still undecided (but have some sideline potential-income hobbies, and would kind of like to be a sahm in the long run.)

ETA again because the husband just looked over my shoulder and pointed out that he refuses to live in Humboldt due to the pot.
Why? Is the pot in Humboldt not premium???

Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 AM

36,105 posts, read 39,826,244 times
You will discover that you will live where you find work. And learn to like it.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,805,560 times
Tell your husband not to settle for the limited perspective he will have if he lives his whole life in one state. I RETURNED to California but the time I spent out of state was very important. Living your whole life in one place is like stopping school after sixth grade, IMHO. There's a whole big world out there. Best of luck to you both.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM

963 posts, read 2,909,353 times
I hope your income levels match your dreams. There are places that meet your wants, Santa Cruz, SLO, Marin County...but when you want what everyone else wants, you need to have the economic clout to compete with them. If your combined income is much below a quarter-million, internet dreaming is about as far as it's going to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California