Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

One important fact about Texas property taxes that many do not know (or forget) is that our property taxes are 100% local. There is no such thing as a state property tax in Texas. It is un-constitutional.

My property taxes are about 1.9% of appraised value (in theory its market value). Those taxes fund my local school district, the county government, utilities, and a few other miscellaneous functions. If I lived in the city of Austin I would pay more (closer to 2.5%).

I don't like paying my property tax bill any more than anyone else. But I dislike it less because I know where the money is going - and can vote to influence how it is spent near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One important fact about Texas property taxes that many do not know (or forget) is that our property taxes are 100% local. There is no such thing as a state property tax in Texas. It is un-constitutional.

My property taxes are about 1.9% of appraised value (in theory its market value). Those taxes fund my local school district, the county government, utilities, and a few other miscellaneous functions. If I lived in the city of Austin I would pay more (closer to 2.5%).

I don't like paying my property tax bill any more than anyone else. But I dislike it less because I know where the money is going - and can vote to influence how it is spent near me.
California used to operate like that... the Serrano Decision took local tax money for schools out of many districts...

The electorate responded by limiting taxes without voter approval.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
California used to operate like that... the Serrano Decision took local tax money for schools out of many districts...

The electorate responded by limiting taxes without voter approval.
Whose idea was it to fund schools with property taxes, anyways? This appears to be common in many places in the US.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Whose idea was it to fund schools with property taxes, anyways? This appears to be common in many places in the US.
I don't know... perhaps because good schools translate into more desirable real estate?

The State taking money from local school districts to redistribute to others... often many hundreds of miles away, is what changed education forever in California...

My father taught in a Public High School... it was his belief that schools should be locally funded...

It is far easier to make the case locally when the people footing the bill can see the tangible results... and this was the case prior to Serrano.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:

Property taxes in California stay within the county they are collected in, so they are very much local here too.

http://ucce-plumas-sierra.ucdavis.edu/files/44909.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Quote:
But in the case of California the low property taxes did play a big role in jacking up prices. Texas' high property taxes, and the high property taxes in some Eastern states as well, prevented a bubble from developing, which worked out to their favor.
So, you are trying to say people are willing to pay $200,000 more for a house in California than in some other location to save about $8000 in taxes?

There wouldn't be any financial benefit to paying that much more for real estate for lower property taxes unless someone intended to stay in the house for 20+. That is really an exception today.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Another CA-basing thread. We didn't have too many? Well, RenaudFR needed to have one too. It made him/her/it feel better.

If it weren't for CA-bashing, what would people bash? I'm sure they'd find something because a life without bashing.. is pointless.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Yeah, too much money flows through Sacramento and as a result all the parasites swarm over it.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Property taxes in California stay within the county they are collected in, so they are very much local here too.

http://ucce-plumas-sierra.ucdavis.edu/files/44909.pdf (broken link)
I just learned something. Very nice document though it seems a bit dated on the current total rates - no?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM

783 posts, read 814,912 times
Quote:
Who knows but it was a bad idea especialy in California becouse we seen the effects of property tax caps on schoolfunding in the state ever since prop13 was implemented Californias ones renowed educations system has greatly deteriorated along side other local governements services.
Instead funding for local government has been more and more centralized away from local government funding towards state governments bailout funding of local governments who thanks to prop13 restrictions are not able to to collect enough of tax revenues to fund them self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California