Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoosedn View Post
It would be great to be able to go to any park free, but it should be obvious to anyone that parks are low on the priority list when it comes to getting a share of tax dollars.

Looking at the Department of Parks and Recreation's proposed 2010-11 budget here, Governor's Budget - Natural Resources, it gets about $500 million out of $113 billion in state funds, or about 0.4% of the state's funds. Yeah, so either the parks charge their users or a whole bunch of them get shut down. So while I'm not happy to dole out $10 to park inside Torrey Pines State Park, at least I know that my money is helping them stay open (unless some politician is pilfering their funds ).
yes, and you can park near torrey pines-not just along the 101, but at teh golf course by TP lodge [it's free parking], or just under the bridge, by the restaurants adjacent to the lower parking lot. LOADS of street parking there, near the condo complex. We always find parking there, easy in and out, and walk thru the parking lot, marvelling at how empty it is....on our way to the beach.

It's right next to the lot, for god sake. It's not like you are being forced to hike an extra mile. Sure, there are some parks that do not have road parking...but I just don't see this whole issue as something to complain about.

Better to discuss ways to create income sources for CA and new job sources.
Honestly, do you pay that much in taxes, to support a state of 35 million and huge infrastucture? I'm more interested in the prison industry, social service network and other issues, than I am about state park fees. But, hey, whatever people feel empowered to get incensed about, go for it!!! Write your representative.

In SD, they have closed many bathrooms in city parks, too...including the one at the mission bay visitor's center. which is really a head scratcher. The main visitor center along the 5, with an information center, and the toilets are closed?

SD city governance honestly makes the state look like the most well run machine, I swear.

Last edited by lrmsd; 08-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 07:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,217 times
I used to work for state the park dept, they will not spend your money wisely

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It looks like everything in OC is $15 while the rest of the state's parks are mostly $10 or under. I guess the state figures we're all made of money here and won't mind bending over.
Stop your complaining, its pathetic. As stated several times before, get yourself a beach pass. Go more than 8 times a year and it'll pay for itself. Hell, with the way you constantly complain about extremely trivial issues, sounds like you have too much time on your hands. Give you more motivation to get out of the house and complain outdoors.

I purchased mine because I LOVE the beach. I've already used it 6 times since June. I bring 4 people and they invite friends, its a grand old time.

Going to a movie cost around 10 dollars now and thats only for 2 hours. I usually stay at the beach for 4-6 hours...very cheap entertainment.

maybe not cheap enough...

Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
We want it all and want it for free. The rest of the country pays. And now we pay too. Guess what, most people would be glad to pay it if it meant it was maintained, cleaner, and not overrun by bums.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I DONT trust the state to use the money wisely. Ca has ALOT of crooks in the legislature & many state agencys.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I DONT trust the state to use the money wisely. Ca has ALOT of crooks in the legislature & many state agencys.
you can say the same exact thing in at least 30 states.

All levels of government are wasting a ton of money and no one notices until we start paying more taxes and/or get less benefits.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
you can say the same exact thing in at least 30 states.

All levels of government are wasting a ton of money and no one notices until we start paying more taxes and/or get less benefits.
Yep...you're right. look at the federal govt. They are the worse.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM

957 posts, read 758,083 times
Personally, I too am opposed to paying $15 for a day pass to the state park. I would prefer more of our tax dollars go toward maintaining the parks.
In that the legislature has cut funding to state parks in an attempt to balance the budget w/o tax increases, the state parks are under funded. It costs money to maintain a park. It takes a 2/3 vote by both chambers to raise taxes.
I'm in favor of paying an additional fee on my vehicle in order to fund parks, and in turn will be allowed day use of any state park.
OTOH, if state parks continue to lose funding and are forced to shut down, they will more than likely be sold off to developers who would then build on them.
At that time, you can kiss the state parks goodbye.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 78,906 times
Is this really worth complaining about?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Park outside and ride/hike in. Once the price goes up like it has now, don't expect it to go back down once the economy gets better.

If the cost is worth it to you, then by all means fork out the dough. If it doesn't seem worth it, don't pay. They'll figure out what people are willing to pay pretty quickly.
They will just close the parks. Anything that doesn't bring in the cha-ching will get shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California