Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 AM

2,855 posts, read 6,455,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I am all for it.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 AM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What makes San Luis Obispo different and stick out from Monterey, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz? I know San Luis Obispo is known for it's university being academically better than others.
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo better academically than UC Santa Barbara or UC Santa Cruz? Not a chance. Cal Poly is a state school; it doesn't hold a candle to any of the UC schools, including UC Riverside. (The city of SLO is prettier than Riverside, though.)

And SLO attracts a completely different type of person than Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz or Monterey.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,200,683 times
We just did a driving trip down the 101 last month and hadn't been there in years. SLO is a really cute town, but I think NOT being on the coast makes it less attractive for tourists than SB or Monterey. SLO reminds me a lot of Santa Cruz as far as the vibe. The landscape and scenery are beautiful around there. I noticed a lot more tropical vegetation around there, giving it a bit of a SoCal feel, but it was much colder than in the Bay Area when we were there! Oddly, when we drove 10 minutes towards Avila Beach and Shell Beach, it started warming up significantly over SLO, where it was cool and windy. So why would it be cooler in SLO than right on the coast? I happened to love those beach areas, which reminded me a lot of San Clemente in OC, but more affordable.

I also though Paso Robles was super cute. The whole Central Coast area is like a romantic Steinbeckian image of all the best California has to offer. It's also cheaper to live than more urban areas, albeit isolated. I think it would be a fantastic area to retire in.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM

30,852 posts, read 36,738,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
We just did a driving trip down the 101 last month and hadn't been there in years. SLO is a really cute town, but I think NOT being on the coast makes it less attractive for tourists than SB or Monterey. SLO reminds me a lot of Santa Cruz as far as the vibe. The landscape and scenery are beautiful around there. I noticed a lot more tropical vegetation around there, giving it a bit of a SoCal feel, but it was much colder than in the Bay Area when we were there! Oddly, when we drove 10 minutes towards Avila Beach and Shell Beach, it started warming up significantly over SLO, where it was cool and windy. So why would it be cooler in SLO than right on the coast? I happened to love those beach areas, which reminded me a lot of San Clemente in OC, but more affordable.

I also though Paso Robles was super cute. The whole Central Coast area is like a romantic Steinbeckian image of all the best California has to offer. It's also cheaper to live than more urban areas, albeit isolated. I think it would be a fantastic area to retire in.
I think what you experienced in terms of weather in SLO is the exception rather than the norm. SLO is normally a few degrees warmer than the Bay Area in winter (with a fewer rainy days) and roughly equivalent to places like Mountain View or Fremont in the summer (with slightly larger swings in temperature between day and night in SLO).

You summed it up well when you said it was a great place to retrire. Although it may be cheaper than other coastal areas of CA, the COL is not cheap for those who actually have to work and earn a living there.

Paso Robles is cute, but the weather is different, chilly in winter, especially at night. Hot during the summer (hot days but cool nights). Much more extreme than SLO weather wise.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 PM

514 posts, read 681,992 times
Quote:
Cal Poly is a state school; it doesn't hold a candle to any of the UC schools, including UC Riverside.
so the UC's are not state schools? whoda thunk.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo better academically than UC Santa Barbara or UC Santa Cruz? Not a chance. Cal Poly is a state school; it doesn't hold a candle to any of the UC schools, including UC Riverside. (The city of SLO is prettier than Riverside, though.)

And SLO attracts a completely different type of person than Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz or Monterey.
I always heard that people went to Cal Poli for an education and UCSB or UCSC to party. I could be wrong but that is what I always heard.

All kidding aside, Cal Poli SLO has an amazing Enginerring Department

As Highnlite alluded, The State of California has 2 University systems, The University of California at Pick a city and the Cal State University of Pick a city. Both have differant requirements to get in, and as you seem to be alluding to the fact that it may be more competitive to get into the U C system then the CSU system. Still both systems are state schools.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 08-30-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times
Cal Poly has a larger undergrad program than UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. We are harder to get into than the other schools and we have more accredited programs. And Santa Cruz's college is smaller. SLO I think is as touristy.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM

514 posts, read 681,992 times
Getting into Cal Poly. This year there were 40,000 applicants for the Freshman Class, Cal Poly accepted 3500 of the best, sounds rigorous to me.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:51 PM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Cal Poly has a larger undergrad program than UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. We are harder to get into than the other schools
....maybe than other schools in the California state system, e.g. Cal State L.A., Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly Pomona, etc.

The requirements for admission to Cal state schools are not as rigorous as those for the University of California system, e.g. UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, etc.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
....maybe than other schools in the California state system, e.g. Cal State L.A., Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly Pomona, etc.

The requirements for admission to Cal state schools are not as rigorous as those for the University of California system, e.g. UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, etc.
I am pretty sure that Cal Poly's engineering program is harder to get into than UC Santa Cruz, UC Riverside, and UC Merced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California