Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I had made plans with friends before and um, they never work out, for me at least. Just make sure you can survive on your own with or without your friend. And yes, four years is quite some time, things change like um, friends getting married after you signed a lease. I'll stop there, still a little bitter from it, hahaha.
LOL! Same here. When I was 16 my best friend and I planned to move to New York once we hit 18 or 19. But, at age 18 I got married (stupidly) and by 19 I was a mother and the only thing I was dreaming about by then was having enough money to buy diapers and baby formula

Make plans and dream by all means, but don't put too much expectation on a friend to join you.

Last edited by Cyanna; 08-11-2010 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: CORRECTION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I think one of the major mistakes people make when moving to California is that they want it ALL and they want it NOW! However, most people don't come here with enough money to aquire that immediate dream, they become discouraged and they end up hating the place.

Keep your focus on the MAIN desire...just getting here and having a decent place to live. You might desire to live in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with a two car garage and a swimming pool. If you are happy to downsize that dream for a while settle instead for a two or three bedroom apartment with a swimming pool and save money for that house in the future. Anything can be accomplished with a bit of temporary sacrifice.
This.

Come to CA realizing that it's one of the most expensive places you can choose to live, that many people want to live here and that creates a competitive environment. Forget about "the laid back CA lifestyle" and think about the dog-eat-dog lifestyle.

Also realize that if you can't live in an area that's cheap/safe/clean/on the coast- as most people can't- you may be living in an area which has a better climate than many parts of the US but may otherwise be less safe/clean than what you have now. You might find yourself living with people who ethnically and culturally aren't like you, who don't like you and who may not be willing to speak English to accommodate you.

You can be happy in CA but only if you come here with realistic expectations about what you can get for your $$$.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity801 View Post
I just moved from Wisconsin to Philadelphia for a job promotion a few months ago. I have decided that I want to move to California with my friend, who lives in Illinois, in about 4 and a half years. I want to live by the coast and have the warmest possible climate, so would San Diego be the best choice?

I'm planning on saving about 90k in these 4 and a half years and just quitting and moving there. I've tried to get a job there in a past long distance and it just doesn't work, so I think maybe I'll just find a recruiter and get a temp job first and move there and once I am there find a permanent job.

Also, there is no way I am going to be talked out of moving so it isn't worth bothering. The climate is the worth all of the extra expenses, in my opinion. I know a lot of California natives don't think it is that bad, but it does suck. Thats why you hear of so many people moving out of California, but moving right back like a year later.

I'm going to have a Master's degree in IT security by then and hopefully some Cisco certifications. Which city has the best job prospects for IT?

Thanks in advance!
David
4 years is a lifetime in todays world. What you think you want or will want could change a million times by now and so could your friends or friends. One of you may get married, or decide there are other places to live.

As for the best places for employment, of course the larger the area, the better the job choices. Right now the choices would be limited regardless of what degree you have. 4 years form now, there could be a thousand jobs. yes, San Diego would probably be a good place to start.

Nita

Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
This.

Come to CA realizing that it's one of the most expensive places you can choose to live, that many people want to live here and that creates a competitive environment. Forget about "the laid back CA lifestyle" and think about the dog-eat-dog lifestyle.

Also realize that if you can't live in an area that's cheap/safe/clean/on the coast- as most people can't- you may be living in an area which has a better climate than many parts of the US but may otherwise be less safe/clean than what you have now. You might find yourself living with people who ethnically and culturally aren't like you, who don't like you and who may not be willing to speak English to accommodate you.

You can be happy in CA but only if you come here with realistic expectations about what you can get for your $$$.
All excellent points, and very accurate. I rate this as one of the best pieces of advice posted.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
1. Don't make plans that are dependent on anyone but yourself or your spouse. If your friend comes through, that's just gravy.

2. Don't give yourself artificial time limits. If you get a good job offer next week, take it! If 4 years go by and you're still not ready, don't force it until you are.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
1. Save as much money as possible. Remember that living in California means paying high state income taxes, high property taxes, possible HOA fees, and maybe even Mello-Roos (a special local assessment).
2. Do not count on future living arrangements with either friends or relatives. People get married, move away for another job, fall out with others, or just want to live alone.
3. Be flexible regarding housing, and remember that living in a townhouse or condo is not the end of the world. People do it all the time in Manhattan.
4. Do not move until you have a good job offer in California.
5. Rent first for about six months to a year before buying a home, so that you have a feel for the different communities. A number of apartment complexes offer three, six, nine or one-year leases. Of course, the shorter the lease, the more you will pay per month.
6. Be mindful of the fact that although $500,000 or so might buy you a big house in your home state, you are no longer in your home state. You left for a reason.
7. Develop patience.
8. Accept California for what it is; the good and the bad, since nirvana does not exist.
9.Carve out your own life and take advantage of the wonderful weather, the ocean, parks, mountains and beautiful scenery.
10.Stay away from bitter people who can only drag you down by constantly harping about the downsides to California living.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity801 View Post
I just moved from Wisconsin to Philadelphia for a job promotion a few months ago. I have decided that I want to move to California with my friend, who lives in Illinois, in about 4 and a half years. I want to live by the coast and have the warmest possible climate, so would San Diego be the best choice?
Actually I believe that the warmest possible climate would be LA. About 5-degrees warmer then San Diego. Though I'm pretty sure any will be warm enough for you. Considering where you are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California