Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You complain about the state of the state.
and you are right of center politically. 33 56.90%
and you are left of center politically 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM

514 posts, read 686,699 times

Advertisements

We can take this back to the point of my original question.

Throughout this poll, conservatives have led the complaint department.

I think that other posters have globalized my point.

Conservatives complain more than liberals, what they complain about is not nearly so important as why they complain more, and so vociferously.

That I have to leave to the shrinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
"Man spends his life in reasoning on the past, in complaining of the present, in fearing future." Antoine Rivarol

But are we all just merely complaining? Granted, some of the posts can be brushed away as complaints, while others should be viewed instead as either opinions or concerns, and not just complaints.

So, how do we differentiate between:

Airing Complaints?

Sharing of Opinions?

Voicing a concern?

No, I am not "taking the p**s, I am honestly curious about how others would differentiate between the three above listed questions.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
We can take this back to the point of my original question.

Throughout this poll, conservatives have led the complaint department.

I think that other posters have globalized my point.

Conservatives complain more than liberals, what they complain about is not nearly so important as why they complain more, and so vociferously.

That I have to leave to the shrinks.
but conservatives don't use 5ht grade insults the way liberals do, such as name calling.

Nita

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Let's get something straight.

Conservatives complain all the time because they don't get their way all the time.

The complain so much, they need to have talk shows and write books about it.

Witness Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter.

Conservatives who are so filled with rancor that they need to broadcast it, and the stupid masses just eat it up.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM

514 posts, read 686,699 times
Quote:
but conservatives don't use 5ht grade insults the way liberals do, such as name calling.
Huh, google images of tea bagger rally signs and get back to us on that.

Then take a morning, and listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,303 times
Seems to me that on general, liberals attempt to undermine conservative viewpoints by painting conservatives as ignorant and slow though discussion that attempts to make the liberals seem intelligent and well learned. However, conservatives attempt to undermine liberal viewpoints by being verbally louder, trying to paint liberals as fringe thinkers who have no touch with reality. Either way it's all like mean lunchroom Jr. High conversations. Bullying just takes different forms on each side, and it's still uncivil. This is why I rearely listen to any form of talk radio these days. The amount of venom spewed by both conservatives and liberals just saddens me, and such rhetoric doesn't help anyone solve the very real pressing problems that our nation currently faces.

I appreciate California because it encompasses so many different types of people who love their state. However, the way politics are done these days tends to be so partisan that the process grinds things to a halt before gaining any traction for true lasting change. However, I am optimistic that California will eventually lead the way in reconciling conflicting viewpoints to move things forward in a positive manner and that starts with cutting out uncivil rhetoric.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM

783 posts, read 814,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
On this board, there are those who complain bitterly about the state, whether it is the government, business climate, unions, illegals, whatever.

I, and others I imagine wonder about this.
High income and sales taxes that stifles Californias competitivnes is one thing to complain about but that is the result of artificialy low property taxes that then are needed to be compensated for by sky high income and sales tax
The highest in the nation.
California is in need of a major tax reform especially when it comes to property taxation income and sales taxes need to be decreased while property taxation need to be increased as compensation for reduced income and sales tax.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
"Man spends his life in reasoning on the past, in complaining of the present, in fearing future." Antoine Rivarol

But are we all just merely complaining? Granted, some of the posts can be brushed away as complaints, while others should be viewed instead as either opinions or concerns, and not just complaints.

So, how do we differentiate between:

Airing Complaints?

Sharing of Opinions?

Voicing a concern?

No, I am not "taking the p**s, I am honestly curious about how others would differentiate between the three above listed questions.
The differentiation appears to be split down partisan lines with moderates stubbornly clinging to the center and rejected by the two polar opposites.

Voicing concerns is seen as airing complaints by the accusers who can't grasp the concept that someone might really care about, in this case, the state, especially if they have moved elsewhere, or wish to.

Sharing of opinions is met with derision and disdain as if no one but a card-carrying, never-voted-any-other-way member of a prescribed political party has a right to one.

Airing complaints is immediate fodder for the apologists on both far sides of the aisle resulting in cries of racism, ageism, sexism and a host of other social ills from the carefully indoctrinated, unable to think for themselves, incapable of original thought "practitioners" of either extreme'

The halves demean the have nots and the have nots often envy the halves as if a person's worth is only reflected in their bank accounts. Snobbery is not limited to the wealthy nor envy to the poor.

It is for many of the reason stated above and the described incivility that the country, on the whole, is foundering and particularly California where the extremes seem most clearly visible and deeply entrenched.

Tribalism is not a thing of the past which explains why like seeks out like and develops conclaves in which they're most comfortable being it in business or their homes. Yet to express a liking for ones "own kind" is, to some, a sure sign of civic decay and lack of toleration hearkening back to the mantra of the "enlightened" of the mid-60s, "Some of my best friends are (fill in the blank).

WHEW! We now return you to your regularly scheduled and deeply ingrained programming!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 45,879 times
I just moved back to Northern California after a year in Vermont and 5 years in Texas and I'll tell you, it will have to be something pretty bad to get me to ever leave California again. California has her problems but as I have seen over 20+ years of living here, people seem to work them out.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blf53 View Post
I just moved back to Northern California after a year in Vermont and 5 years in Texas and I'll tell you, it will have to be something pretty bad to get me to ever leave California again. California has her problems but as I have seen over 20+ years of living here, people seem to work them out.
Would that the Legislature would cooperate in that endeavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California