Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The neighbor wants something for nothing & his old chicks for free.
Sounds like Dire Straits lyrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
I wonder if I'll get to experience the big one before I leave California but then again I'm in the Central (literally) Valley; perhaps a 3 or a 4 from San Andreas?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 AM

212 posts, read 475,916 times
Quote:
The state of ca (horrid legislature) has signed into law, & approved by the govenor, (benedict arnold) october 11,2009 making it mandatory for all mobile home parks to have a earthquake plan in effect by september 1, 2010.

Last night the street captain came a knocking on my door & told me to be at the meeting next week. He didnt ask me he told me. I told him if a earthquake hits im looking out for #1 & my 5 cats. Its survival of the fittest & thats just the way it is.
I may check on my senior neighbors next door but they have plenty of friends from their congregation to help them. Another neighbor is 83 but she told me she shoots cats with her bb gun cause they poop in her yard. Needless to say she wont get any help from me. Its a dog eat dog world & where were these people when i needed them most ? One lady in the park hired someone else for work instead of me & i do a better job plus i live here.

The street capt isnt too happy cause he says im the youngest on the street & i could be a good asset. I said "NOPE" & closed the door. I have been a "loner" for yrs & some people just cant deal with that. BOO HOO! Worry about yourself & stay the hell out of my business.

The street cpt visits c-d & knows me by my old user name (eagle7). I didnt tell him i changed it but he knows im a big time steelers fan. I already know what to do & i have a 3 day supply of water & food stored away incl flashlight, batteries, radio, cat litter & food, etc.

Great post! Keep it up.

Whether partially 'tongue in cheek' or not, the strength of independence and self-reliance is refreshing...

...although, I suspect placed in the situation you would not fail to help your neighbors (maybe after the kittens though).

Oh, as to a decent 'quake, I hope we have one, but I doubt the Central Valley will feel much. When the Embacadero fell during the Loma Prieta, I barely felt it in the Valley, and none of my relatives in either valley did. It's funny, the worst quake I ever felt was in New England. The valley just has too much mud absorbing the shocks.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
Oh, as to a decent 'quake, I hope we have one, but I doubt the Central Valley will feel much. When the Embacadero fell during the Loma Prieta, I barely felt it in the Valley, and none of my relatives in either valley did. It's funny, the worst quake I ever felt was in New England. The valley just has too much mud absorbing the shocks.
I thought soft soil was bad because it moves around a lot and if the water table is high enough, loses it strength during a big earthquake. Maybe you just haven't been close enough to a really big one yet.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Well, I did some research.

ShakeOut - Central Valley (South) area (http://www.shakeout.org/centralsouth/ - broken link)

Although the cities on the 5 aren't nearly as populated as the cities on the 99 so, Central Valley is still safe, relatively.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I dont see how any area of ca wont be affected when the big one hits. I dont mind helping my neighbors but not until i have helped myself & my cats. In the past i have helped people but when i needed help it was a different story. My father & step mother live nearby & they treat me poorly.

My step mom has been "well to do" all her life & she looks down on the less fortunate incl me. The only reason she donates to charity is for the tax right off. Charity dont start in the home for her unless you're her spoiled kid. UGH!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:29 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
People keep saying it won't affect this town or that town. It will affect my town but not as much as LA and the IE. How about the fact that there will be no water, electricity, or phone for weeks or months.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
The state of ca (horrid legislature) has signed into law, & approved by the govenor, (benedict arnold) october 11,2009 making it mandatory for all mobile home parks to have a earthquake plan in effect by september 1, 2010.

Last night the street captain came a knocking on my door & told me to be at the meeting next week. He didnt ask me he told me. I told him if a earthquake hits im looking out for #1 & my 5 cats. Its survival of the fittest & thats just the way it is.
I may check on my senior neighbors next door but they have plenty of friends from their congregation to help them. Another neighbor is 83 but she told me she shoots cats with her bb gun cause they poop in her yard. Needless to say she wont get any help from me. Its a dog eat dog world & where were these people when i needed them most ? One lady in the park hired someone else for work instead of me & i do a better job plus i live here.

The street capt isnt too happy cause he says im the youngest on the street & i could be a good asset. I said "NOPE" & closed the door. I have been a "loner" for yrs & some people just cant deal with that. BOO HOO! Worry about yourself & stay the hell out of my business.

The street cpt visits c-d & knows me by my old user name (eagle7). I didnt tell him i changed it but he knows im a big time steelers fan. I already know what to do & i have a 3 day supply of water & food stored away incl flashlight, batteries, radio, cat litter & food, etc.
I am not understanding this AT ALL. Mobile homes have SHOCK ABSORBERS as part of their manufacturing process since they are designed to be delivered via highway. They are one of the safest things to be in during an earthquake. LOL I have been in one and it feels like the washing machine is running it's spin cycle.

These idiot politicians, as usual, have no idea what they are talking about. You need to have earthquake plans in effect for 10 story parking garages and office buildings made out of concrete and steel, not mobile homes, for chrissakes. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times

YouTube - Preparedness Now (2008 version)

Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not understanding this AT ALL. Mobile homes have SHOCK ABSORBERS as part of their manufacturing process since they are designed to be delivered via highway. They are one of the safest things to be in during an earthquake. LOL I have been in one and it feels like the washing machine is running it's spin cycle.

These idiot politicians, as usual, have no idea what they are talking about. You need to have earthquake plans in effect for 10 story parking garages and office buildings made out of concrete and steel, not mobile homes, for chrissakes. LOL

20yrsinBranson
What do you expect from the ca legislature & govenor ? I guess they have nothing else better to do but make stupid ass laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California