Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,497,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Last week a local radio talk host, Dr Laura Schellinger on KFWB went out in orbit and used a racial slur repeated [saying the "n" word several times]. Dr Laura is syndicated and heard across the nation. Her program is basically giving people psychological advice. But after her huge mistake, the local radio station came under considerable pressure to do something even though Dr. Laura apologize repeatedly. This evening on Larry King's show\ CNN, Dr. Laura announced that she is resigning. Racism can be very costly; it probably is no surprise that Dr Laura is a Republican.

Yeah, look at that... Thats one less "evil" republican on the air telling people the other side of the story. You "open-minded", "free speech" and "everything goes" liberals must be ecstatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,356,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Yeah, look at that... Thats one less "evil" republican on the air telling people the other side of the story. You "open-minded", "free speech" and "everything goes" liberals must be ecstatic.
That's one way to look at it, but liberals don't have to do anything but watch racists destroy themselves. Remember Michael Richards [character on Jerry Seinfeld show] racial rant that cost him his career? Mel Gibson's foul mouth has made him a pariah in Hollywood.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,497,519 times
Quote:
That's one way to look at it, but liberals don't have to do anything but watch racists destroy themselves. Remember Michael Richards [character on Jerry Seinfeld show] racial rant that cost him his career? Mel Gibson's foul mouth has made him a pariah in Hollywood.
What's your point?

Heck, if you want to take that road... you being a liberal offends me just as much as the hispanic guy at the gas station being called a beaner.

Everyone is offended by something. Society as a whole needs to get over it and grow a pair. Quit telling people to be tolerant while you sit there and complain about the right wing radio show hosts, wishing and hoping for them to stop airing their beliefs.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,154,390 times
Quote:
Don't forget Don Imus's racial statement

Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
What's your point?

Heck, if you want to take that road... you being a liberal offends me just as much as the hispanic guy at the gas station being called a beaner.

Everyone is offended by something. Society as a whole needs to get over it and grow a pair. Quit telling people to be tolerant while you sit there and complain about the right wing radio show hosts, wishing and hoping for them to stop airing their beliefs.
If Dr Laura did not know how offensive the "n" is; repeating it 11 times on public radio then she is dumb and lost her radio program as a result. Go ahead and scream profanities or racial slurs on your job and see how long you keep it. This is not rocket science. Republicans are not the only ones who do stupid things but when it comes to racism their stupidity often gets the best of them. Now Dr Laura will no longer be heard; no loss.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,062,084 times
Quote:
Dr. Laura is a staunch Republican; racism is just below the surface and now she has to pay for her true feelings. Too bad but it was a good decision to take her off the air.
So you agree with me that it is time for Democrat Harry Reid to resign now or for Nevada to vote him out. He has let his belief in stereotypes and true feelings about different ethnic groups come through too many times and its time for him to pay for them too.

As Ruben Navarrette put it so eloquently about the recent Hispanic comment, Reid's "patronizing remarks sound as if they came from the overseer of a hacienda."
Ruben Navarrette: Harry Reid's `support' of Hispanics only skin deep - SGVTribune.com

You can't play favorites with the Democrats and let them off the hook when it comes to racism. If you want to point it out with one party you have to point it out when someone in the other party does it too.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,154,390 times
Quote:
Thanks for the historic background. I know Dr, Laura was dropped by KFI and it probably had to do with her loss of listeners; bottom line is how many people are willing to listen to her. Radio stations generate revenue from sponsors based on number of listeners. Dr. Laura moved to KFWB, a station that used to be all-news several months ago. According to news accounts last week, Dr. Laura realized she made a huge mistake right after she repeated the "n" word eleven times in a row. I think she had a melt down on the air. Now she claims her right to free speech is being compromised because of the outrage and KFWB's insistence that she apologize. I think they gave her the choice to resign or be fired.

If Dr. Laura had repeated the "f" word 11 times in as a minute, she would also be fired since public radio is not allowed to use vulgar street language. Dr. Laura is a staunch Republican; racism is just below the surface and now she has to pay for her true feelings. Too bad but it was a good decision to take her off the air.
Yeah I agree. I can't stand her. She is such a phony. She is on the same level as Rush Limbaugh in my opinion. Both of them just spew nonsense. It makes me wonder why people even listen to either of them. It's obvious Dr. Laura isn't a real doctor so why do people take her advice like she is? I think what she said has some truth to it. There is an annoying double standard with the "N" word but I do think she went overboard using the "N" word 11 times. She should have known better. You get in trouble for using any offensive word and using any vulgar language like the "F" word. I think she just had a meltdown but I still think she is a moron who doesn't know anything she is talking about and is clealy in it for the money just like Rush and the rest of them.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
So you agree with me that it is time for Democrat Harry Reid to resign now or for Nevada to vote him out. He has let his belief in stereotypes and true feelings about different ethnic groups come through too many times and its time for him to pay for them too.

As Ruben Navarrette put it so eloquently about the recent Hispanic comment, Reid's "patronizing remarks sound as if they came from the overseer of a hacienda."
Ruben Navarrette: Harry Reid's `support' of Hispanics only skin deep - SGVTribune.com

You can't play favorites with the Democrats and let them off the hook when it comes to racism. If you want to point it out with one party you have to point it out when someone in the other party does it too.
No argument about Reid. I've never understood why Democrats have allowed such an inarticulate and shady politician to be the leader of the Senate. The LA Times ran an extensive series of articles on Reid; the people of Nevada should be ashamed that he is still in office. Too bad the Republicans are running a totally out in orbit Tea Party candidate against Reid because he should be not be a U.S senator in my opinion.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,169,730 times
I've never quite understood why folks would call Dr Laura, I used to listen to her show sometimes when driving during my job back in the mid-90's (it was one of the few programs you could pick up in rural areas). I know she would really rip on a lot of her callers, pretty much driving them to tears during many of the calls. Never understood why some of those folks called, unless they had a need to be humiliated on the public airwaves.

That being said, the posters on this thread who equate Republicans to racists are just showing themselves in a very poor light. I remember a couple of decades ago when liberals would discuss how open minded and tolerant they are, and how they couldn't understand how others could be so narrow minded.

They must not own mirrors...

Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,862,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Missed it. How did she say it?
Here's the link. You be the judge.

YouTube - Dr Laura Racist Remarks? Uses N Word 11 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California