Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
This whole thread should be in the Politics and Controversy thread and not in the CALIFORNIA thread as it relates to the entire nation. Oh wait there already is one in P&C. You opened up this can of worms when you related Laura's comments as par for the course for most racists being Republican.

I think most would agree that Democrats are just as likely to be racist as Republicans. Bill Maher is a sock puppet whose comments are idiotic at best.

I agree this thread needs to be merged with the one in P/C or closed.
It's not in that forum for reasons discussed in the past. When a persons views don't line up with certain views in the politics forum, those members and or their posts magically disappear. Also, everything in Ca. is political at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Why can't Rush Limbaugh quit? That would be the best day ever
Tell me about it!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
every time a black star uses the n word he gets reprimanded. everytime a white star uses the N word he gets canned.
when i was a kid in new orleans if a black man said something wrong they treated him really bad, they hurt him. now its reversed. . the idea was to make it better not switch places. i have a dream.
LOL, Huck. We got a LOOONG way to go in this country before whites and blacks have "switched places"!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's not in that forum for reasons discussed in the past. When a persons views don't line up with certain views in the politics forum, those members and or their posts magically disappear. Also, everything in Ca. is political at some point.
are you speaking of mod abuse?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
LOL, Huck. We got a LOOONG way to go in this country before whites and blacks have "switched places"!
neither is it justice that which is happening. payback is a bottomless pit that knows no justice-- only lust for revenge endlessly searching. you think it does not hurt to lose your career? you dont think tiger woods is in pain? black or white does not matter. you think poor whites dont suffer and are kicked around in K12 just like black kids used to be treated in new orleans? think again.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Amazing! After all the horrible things she's done... after photos of her gaping (ugly word) were plastered all over the internet (she posed nekkid for a sugar-daddy....I mean, for a boyfriend)...after all the unconscionable things she's said, over decades.... After all the horrible things she's said about Gay people.

I'm certain she used the word within an allowable context. She's not stupid (well, she wasn't smart enough to become a real doctor, but...) And it's not as if certain other people do not use the word, regularly, with impunity. That they can say it, but she cannot (because she is not of a certain race), is discrimination, based on race.

Maybe there's a special island, where she can go, to be with other lovely specimens, like Don Imus, who built their careers on homophobia, but got shot out of the sky over racial comments. Maybe it can be next to the Island for Closeted homosexual Gay-bashers . Maybe they can be given guns so they can go to war with each other...

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Most Hispanics have a closet racist policy against Blacks and they are rabid Democrats. The reason Hispanics get away with it in public is because they use the Latin form of the word Negro and speak only spanish when degrading Black people. I hear a litany of racial slurs about black people all day long on the construction site from Latinos.
Mayate. Hands down, the most popular derogatory term for blacks used by California Sur's "people", as he refers to Mexicans and other assorted Latinos. I hear it on a daily basis.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,173,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah that board already has a thread on this and I agree. The right wing far outweighs the left wing on that board and they just bash each other left and right

Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's one way to look at it, but liberals don't have to do anything but watch racists destroy themselves. Remember Michael Richards [character on Jerry Seinfeld show] racial rant that cost him his career? Mel Gibson's foul mouth has made him a pariah in Hollywood.
Yes and yet, black rappers and comedians can bark out the n word ad nauseum. It's a word, either everyone can can it, or nobody can use it. You can't only be offended by the n word when it is spoken by certain people and allow people to get a pass, for that too would be racist.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:50 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Well, I must say I for one am sad to see her go, although she has been past her prime for a few years now. I loved listening to her for the same reason people have mentioned -- I thoroughly enjoy hearing people with issues get ripped apart on radio.

I certainly don't agree with many things she says, but I love it because I get the feeling she's actually speaking her mind. (Not like, say, Rush Limbaugh, who just spews a lot of nonsense.) And she's funny about it too. (And just so someone doesn't try replying with something like "and by 'funny' you really mean 'mean to stupid people' -- I'll admit, yes, that's exactly what I mean. True entertainment.)

In this case she did use poor judgement, since a) the caller wasn't really that stupid, and b) it wasn't about who can use the n-word to begin with, She just went off on that tangent, and while she's right about the double standard, that was irrelevant because correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the caller was of the camp that wouldn't approve of anyone using it.

I was disappointed in her because she usually knows better. Up until this point, L.S. has pulled off the balancing act perfectly; she knows, and says, exactly what she can get away with, no more, no less. This time she went over the top.

Even though her show's past its prime, though, I think this is poor timing on her part to end it now, because if she wasn't forced to resign, then everyone's going to think she was -- but if she really was forced to resign, she's annoying for not just admitting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California