Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

767 posts, read 1,739,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It seems that this thread has degenerated into a slinging match about the weather in different places in California. Can we get back on topic?
Yeah, really. The topic of this thread and what was debated- the weather- are totally different.

I wanted to know more about, if not who's more reserved, the differences between two even if those differences are subtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,775,354 times
I've only visited the LA/OC area twice and SF/Napa area once. However, while working in customer service I have worked with a large sum of people from both regions. The answer to the question is YES, Bay Area residents tend to be more reserved than their LA (and SoCal) counterparts.

I wouldn't call either area "rude" overall as there are a lot of nice and polite people. However, there is more of the openly friendly, laid back vibe sort of thing going on in SoCal. For instance, on one flight to LAX, I sat next to a couple (immigrants, man from Ireland and woman from I think Belize) who were returning from Belize. I talked w/ the man for an hour about urban planning (common interest), pinpointing towns and sights in metro LA flying into LAX and about his vacation. Very interesting. The wife basically threw a 100-calorie chip bag in my lap and told me to eat them, she didn't want them; I asked her first to make sure she didn't want them and she nicely insisted.

In customer service, I have had several enjoyable conversations w/ LA/OC/IE residents. They were, believe it or not, among my friendliest customers along with people from Texas, Seattle, Iowa, and much of upstate New York. Not always, of course, as you have the flashy douchebag guy/big goofy sunglass girl crowd from Beverly Hills, West LA and West Hollywood, but I got along with most SoCal folks.

By contrast, the only truly rude people I've ever met in and/or from California have been from the Bay Area. I have a co-worker from the Bay Area who is a sweetheart and has many fine qualities and I've still met nice folks from SF and Napa. It just has more of an impatient, hurried east coast dense city vibe like you would expect to find in NYC, DC, Boston, Baltimore, and even Cincinnati and Atlanta.

Both areas are very nice and I could see myself living in certain neighborhoods or cities in either region. Aggregately speaking, though, in terms of geographic diversity, arts, different neighborhood "feels", political diversity, climate, and (most important to me) people, I much prefer SoCal.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,266,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Simple question, I always noticed that the people from Southern California were much more outgoing,upbeat and in your face. This is nothing scientific obviously, but just an observation I have made over 25+ years in Cali. What do you think? Cheers
I'll play along. Yes, I would have to agree. The Bay Area seems to be "crusty" or something. I've tried to figure out why it's that way but have not been able. Is it because of Stanford, Berkeley, UCSF, Silicon Valley, BART, the BA's layout? I don't know but I do know that there are smart people everywhere. In contrast to crusty, as an Angeleno, speaking broadly and using myself as an example...I could have 2 Ph.Ds and 3 Masters degrees but you would never know and I wouldn't let you know because that doesn't define me. In the BA, it seems to be their duty to let you know that they are progressive or liberal or whatever whatever--status seems to be a source of pride and a badge of honor. I do, however, respect that area's recent cultural contributions to state and country. So whatever they're doing, more power to them!

Far as LA's laid back attitude, there are just more people here and so we're not surprised by much if anything. With 300+ days of sunshine, it's hard not to be upbeat.

Last edited by Jay100; 09-05-2010 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California