Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM

224 posts, read 604,661 times

Advertisements

Simple question, I always noticed that the people from Southern California were much more outgoing,upbeat and in your face. This is nothing scientific obviously, but just an observation I have made over 25+ years in Cali. What do you think? Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,256,502 times
Hm, I think that's too hard to say, because LA is different from OC which is different from SD, and even in the Bay Area, there are so many areas with such different people in them, that it just depends on who you talk to and where. It might be easier to compare hip urban neighborhoods vs. suburbs vs. the country vs. gated communities, etc. I think you'll find people are the same everywhere, depending more on their particular demographic than whether they happen to be in LA or in the Bay Area. But I did recently read that LA ranks lowest among all U.S. cities for friendliness.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
I'll be honest with you. I find Southern California to be much more laid back and relaxed. I find it to be more fun and entertaining than the serious wave my money and politics in your face Bay Area. Just my opinion.

San Diego and L.A are said to be a like by many people. The truth is SD is like the smaller cleaner safer brother of LA. I have always considered The OC to be in LA because there really isn't a destinction between these two areas as there is between SD and LA. The beach culture was derived in Southern California so I think this has a lot to do with the laid back vibe of this part of the state.

You will also find that Southern California is nice and friendly and that has a lot to do with being laid back. Yeah Hollywood is the typical rude, stuck up etc but that's a small part of a big part of the sate. All of L.A. and SoCal aren't like that stereotype. My experience with the Bay Area is that people there do tend to believe they are number one for everything and are the best. Don't let residents up there fool you into thinking this isn't true.

People from the East Coast often think SF is laid back but that is because SF is a lot like the East Coast, really fast paced, rich, yuppified etc. so the East Coasters are already used to that lifestyle and are comfortable therefore it feels "laid back" to them

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-20-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
As tstieber said, it's a bit more complex. SD,OC and LA are all similar but somewhat distinct from one another, SD being the most distinct of those three.

The Bay Area is more complicated; the outer suburban areas are somewhat more "California like" in culture than SF, Oakland and Berkeley which are more like the PNW, especially the latter two. SF kind of is but is also in a world of it's own to some degree.

Many people from east coast cities consider the Bay Area laid back. If that's the case then SD is fast asleep lol

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,501,981 times
The bay area definitely feels different, no doubt about it. I prefer Southern California cities by far... the geek culture up there is just too overpowering.

....Liberals, bleh weather, cramped... I just don't like it up there at all.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The bay area definitely feels different, no doubt about it. I prefer Southern California cities by far... the geek culture up there is just too overpowering. Being an engineer, I'm a bit of a nerd too, but there is no way in hell I'd want to live in an area packed to the brim with geeks and nerds!

Liberals, bleh weather, cramped... I just don't like it up there.
haha to each his own. I can't wait to one day get out of the SoCal hell lol

Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
I agree with Ryanst530. I would go crazy if I had to live in Northern California. It's just too blah. lol. Too crowded in the Bay Area, too liberal. (I am democrat but not liberal to the extent everyone up there is) I don't like how it's all about the money up there and I don't like the weather either and I find the whole area boring. Maybe if I was like into the arts or trees I'd like it up there but I just don't like it at all. It would be hell for me.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

224 posts, read 604,661 times
I have never felt cramped at all in the Bay Area. San Francisco proper? Yes, cramped for sure. Geek culture? Not sure what you mean, yes the ratio of highly intelligent professionals to average joes is high but geek culture?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Those of us who have family in both southern and northern California and travel between both areas of the state probably have a better feel for the state. Honestly, there is very little difference in my opinion. It is more an urban versus rural thing. Since my relatives live in various Central valley towns I could say that those areas are a bit more reserve overall. People tend to do all the normal things but are less flashy and perhaps less sophisticated than the coastal cities of California. It is impossible to draw any distinction between San Diego and Los Angeles and all the cities in between since the lifestyle is basically urban lay-back more or less. Maybe more outside oriented than the Bay Area but hardly much difference between the Bay Area and Los Angeles\ San Diego in terms of things to do and attitudes. San Francisco is a bit different than Stockton just like LA is slightly different than Pomona or San Diego versus Palm Springs. It really comes down to personal experience because overall California is a fairly exciting state and people who live here are fairly outgoing and friendly; at least that has been my experience and I have visited just about everywhere in California.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I have never felt cramped at all in the Bay Area. San Francisco proper? Yes, cramped for sure. Geek culture? Not sure what you mean, yes the ratio of highly intelligent professionals to average joes is high but geek culture?
intelligent=geek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California