Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,490,914 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal...my husband's British mother and sister are coming to visit with us for a month in November, their first visit to the United States. Mum is 80 years old, so Disneyland and Magic Mountain are not options for entertainment, LOL!

So, if you were entertaining visitors from another country, what would YOU want them to experience of California. Throw your ideas out there, from choices in food to different types of leisure and entertainment. Tip, my guests do not like garlic or spicy food, so I'm feeling a bit limited in the food category of new experiences for them

So far we plan to take them to Santa Monica, Ventura Harbor, the Conejo Valley Botanical Gardens and a few sites local to Simi Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,479,848 times
Head through the Sepulveda Pass about 4:00.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:44 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,032,967 times
I'm into sailing, but am a bit puzzled by the Ventura Harbor option. Why there? Take them up to Santa Barbara and have some seafood at Brophy Brothers. Eat outside on the balcony overlooking SB harbor, as it's noisy as hell inside.
If they're up for it, there's nothing like one's first view of Yosemite Valley.
You can also head south and hit some beach towns along the way: Seal Beach, Laguna Beach, Dana Point, Carlsbad, and Del Mar. They make some really incredible scones at Pacifica Breeze in Del Mar. They're shaped like scones you'd find at most coffeehouses, but taste like English scones.
There are plenty other ideas out there. Maybe they could research a bit and tell you what they're curious to visit. Then we can shoot the crap out of those ideas for ya. (I mean, give you further advice).

Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 PM

137 posts, read 328,417 times
So, I take it you will be in southern California? If you head north, the redwoods would be a good choice, the coast, San Francisco, wine country.....as far as food, Mexican food doesn't have to be spicey and it is very California...also good ol' pizza, California style. Wine country cuisine is delicious and would probably work.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,490,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'm into sailing, but am a bit puzzled by the Ventura Harbor option. Why there?
Because they love to look at boats and its a nice walk around the shops and the harbor

Quote:
Maybe they could research a bit and tell you what they're curious to visit. Then we can shoot the crap out of those ideas for ya. (I mean, give you further advice).
Shoot away, LOL! They both love nature, gardens, walking, that sort of thing.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Are they interested in the movies and Hollywood?

I believe they still have the Graveline tour which drives you around the Hollywood area and points out various landmarks and gives you old Hollywood History. That way 80yr old mum doesn't have to be walking too much if she is not up to it.

When we had out of town visitors who had never been to CA we took them to a taping of a show. Since it is not till November you have plenty of time to get tickets. It was years ago but we took some friends to see a taping of a show with Cloris Leachman in it. During the break Ms. Leachman came over and chatted with us as we were in the first row. They were beyond thrilled.

We went to Bonnie Hunt back in March and it was enjoyable, the only downside was it did require standing in line(about an hour) before getting into the building, and another 45 minutes or so sitting on wooden benches before being allowed in. That might be too much for an elderly person.

Since they're British they might want to see the Queen Mary.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,638,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Here's the deal...my husband's British mother and sister are coming to visit with us for a month in November, their first visit to the United States. Mum is 80 years old, so Disneyland and Magic Mountain are not options for entertainment, LOL!,,,,,.
They have heard of Disneyland for over 50 years why not take them. A lot more to do than just roller coasters. We took my wife's grandfather and he was in his early nineties. They rent wheelchairs and electric wheelchairs at the entrance.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Because they love to look at boats and its a nice walk around the shops and the harbor

How about the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in San Marino(near Pasadena). Check out their website.

You also have Descanso Gardens in La Canada( north of Glendale).

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,032,967 times
Quote:
There's also Quail Botanical Gardens (renamed San Diego Botanical Gardens) in Encinitas and the Botanic Gardens in Santa Barbara. Both are worth a visit. The first Tuesday of the month used to be the "free day" for Quail, but I haven't been in a while and not sure they kept that policy.
Walking from Hendry's Beach (Arroyo Burro Beach) in Santa Barbara in either direction makes for a nice excursion.
The Sequoias are pretty spectacular, and sort of "on the way" to Yosemite. There are the inland variety of redwoods there as well.
They would probably enjoy the J. Paul Getty Center and Hearst Castle in San Simeon. San Luis Obispo is an aesthetically pleasing town on the way up to the castle. They could do the garden tour while they're up there.
I'm a recent convert to Gold Country towns, and some of these could be visited on a Yosemite trip.
California is blessed with a variety of climes, architecture, and styles to please anybody.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,985,158 times
Quote:
Tip, my guests do not like garlic or spicy food,
There goes my brilliant suggestion down the dumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California