U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Central Coast forum or separate ajoining coastal county forums
Central Coast forum 16 84.21%
separate coastal counties forum 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM

514 posts, read 630,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess we'll just ignore all the sub-forums you've posted in.
by all means.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:37 PM

7,477 posts, read 15,302,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'm in favor of Central California having it's own sub-forum and splitting it into central valley and central coast. All though, the Central Coast is really touristy so more people ask about us.
Yes, I think there is a need for both the Central Valley and Central Coast sub forums.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Ok,

If an admin just does a search on the Central Coast he/she is not going to find much because this really is the umbrella area for many larger, mid and smaller sized cities within this region.

So I think the best way to demonstrate the activity is with the numbers along with the corresponding city/area name. I used the advanced CD search for these in the title only of the threads. This really tells the story of the Central Coast better.

Santa Cruz 143
Santa Barbara 142
Monterey 116
San Luis Obispo 74
Carmel 54
Santa Maria 33
Central Coast 30
Paso Robles 21
Atascadero 19
Lompoc 18
Salinas 14
Goleta 14
Santa Margarita 13
Morro Bay 10
Pismo 10
Aptos 10
Watsonville 8
Big Sur 7
Orcutt 7
Vandenberg 7
Scotts Valley 6
Carpinteria 6
Los Osos 5
Solvang 4
King City 3
-------------------------
Total Thread Count: 774

Notice both the larger cities and then all of the mid size and smaller cities represented within this region. Apart they get lost in the larger state forum. But together they fit right into this larger geographic area known as the Central Coast.

Derek

Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM

4,915 posts, read 12,203,169 times
I think we just need a forum for central california. You have so many questions for San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Salinas, Santa Maria, and the smaller communities in the Central Coast. Then you have Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield, Hanford, Madera, and other smaller communities for Central Valley questions.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 AM

7,412 posts, read 9,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ornia-map.html

I want to be the first poster for the Marijuana Coast.

*credit goes to MimzyMusic for first posting this map.
That's an interesting map of California but I take exception to the identities of 2 regions and one is not "Marijuana Coast" for the North Coast counties because that is probably a legitimate title in my opinion. But the destination of far Northeast California as the "Semi Arid North" seems strange since it includes the northern Sierra Nevada mts, the Siskiyou mts, Mt Lassen, Shasta; all lush forest land. There are sections that are somewhat arid\ high desert but that's just a small portion. Also "No Man's Land" for the eastern Sierra\ Death Valley\ Owens Valley\ Mono Lake seems unfair since it is one of the most spectacular areas of California.

I think Central California should have its own forum that includes the Central Coast from Santa Cruz to northern Santa Barbara counties but also the San Joaquin valley and Sierra mountain counties of Mono, Inyo and Calaveras.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's an interesting map of California but I take exception to the identities of 2 regions and one is not "Marijuana Coast" for the North Coast counties because that is probably a legitimate title in my opinion. But the destination of far Northeast California as the "Semi Arid North" seems strange since it includes the northern Sierra Nevada mts, the Siskiyou mts, Mt Lassen, Shasta; all lush forest land. There are sections that are somewhat arid\ high desert but that's just a small portion. Also "No Man's Land" for the eastern Sierra\ Death Valley\ Owens Valley\ Mono Lake seems unfair since it is one of the most spectacular areas of California.

I think Central California should have its own forum that includes the Central Coast from Santa Cruz to northern Santa Barbara counties but also the San Joaquin valley and Sierra mountain counties of Mono, Inyo and Calaveras.
I have an update from an admin on this from the Admin Zone. Basically the admin said they don't like combining areas after The Inland Empire was created. And that he/she would look into a Central Coast forum. But so far nothing has happened, even though I demonstrated there are plenty of existing threads to justify it's creation. The concern may be that it would be to hard to manage? Though I'm not exactly sure since nothing has happened and I only recieved the one rather short response. It almost seems like making excuses to not have to do any additional work.

You can see the thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/about...-subforum.html.

Please provide input in the Admin Zone also. It seems like they started and ended with Ventura County, which while nice to have leaves a lot of the rest of the state still unaddressed/undone. I think the bulk of the work is probably gathering up old threads and then adding them to the new forum. That is part of the reason I created that list above to help however does it with a list of the cities to search for. But at this point I wouldn't care if the old threads were left out. Just get the dang sub forums that need to be created started. Then let us, the contributors, take it from there. Geesh, how hard can it be?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-15-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Derek

What exactly are the counties\ regions you would like included in the Central Coast sub-forum? My suggestion would be Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties as well as northern Santa Barbara county to include Santa Maria. Not sure if the Santa Ynez valley should be included. Good luck because the Central Coast is unique.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Derek

What exactly are the counties\ regions you would like included in the Central Coast sub-forum? My suggestion would be Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties as well as northern Santa Barbara county to include Santa Maria. Not sure if the Santa Ynez valley should be included. Good luck because the Central Coast is unique.
Yes, that list is fine. I was thinking the same ones originally. Although I did not include San Benito which could be included as well. It's the smallest county with only two incorporated cities. But it would be good for them to have some representation in the sub forums as well.

Derek

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, that list is fine. I was thinking the same ones originally. Although I did not include San Benito which could be included as well. It's the smallest county with only two incorporated cities. But it would be good for them to have some representation in the sub forums as well.

Derek
San Benito county is land-locked but not in the Central Valley and only 20-30 miles from the ocean around San Juan Bautista. It is a small farm county, sort of poor and not heavily populated. Hollister is the largest town. But it is also a beautiful county that parallels Monterey county and includes the Pinnacles National Park. Have you ever been to Pinnacles? There are some great caves. I don't know of any C-D posters from San Benito county but I think it should be included in the Central Coast.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
San Benito county is land-locked but not in the Central Valley and only 20-30 miles from the ocean around San Juan Bautista. It is a small farm county, sort of poor and not heavily populated. Hollister is the largest town. But it is also a beautiful county that parallels Monterey county and includes the Pinnacles National Park. Have you ever been to Pinnacles? There are some great caves. I don't know of any C-D posters from San Benito county but I think it should be included in the Central Coast.
Never been the Pinnacles. But I hear it's a pretty fun place to camp, etc...

We have spent some time in the hills around Pacheco Pass which is really beautiful up there though. Although I think is close to it's border.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California