Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 AM

240 posts, read 475,116 times

Advertisements

It seems like every section of California is broken up into sub forums and if your going to break them up in so many sub forums why leave out a huge chunk of California out of it? About 6.5 million people live in the central valley and Fresno is the 5th largest city in California and to not have it represented under one of the sub forums is doing the people on these forums a disservice. Yes I know you can just post stuff about Fresno or the central valley in the general CA forum, but the same can be said about the other cities who have their own sub forums (Ventura, San Bernardino, etc). The argument that not many people post anything about Fresno (or the central valley for that matter) to warrant its own sub forum is kind of a catch 22--of course a city/region will have more posts about it if it has its own sub forum dedicated to it, and the truth can be said about the opposite. To the people who says we don't need anymore sub forums in CA and to just post in the general section , I AGREE with you . But I am going by the fact that right now since we have CA divided into so many of these sub forums, it does not make sense to leave out such a major region such as Fresno and the Central Valley.

/end of rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Add a poll, see who's interested. I think this involves contacting a mod, one of them, not quite sure which.

Yeah I've seen dead sub-forums, tumbleweeds-blowing-through kind of dead. I'm all for a Central Valley sub-forum.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Works for me. Sacramento can't represent the whole valley.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
I've long thought that the San Joaquin Valley should be grouped into a sub-forum, say from Bakersfield up to to the Delta area or Tracy or so.

California is a big geographic state and the San Joaquin Valley stretches for 250 miles and contains roughly 4 million people. That is larger than most states (heck Fresno County alone is larger than Connecticut).

Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times

Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,468 times
Sacramento is the valley.

Last edited by pistola916; 08-30-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Yep, we need a Central Coast and Central Valley forum. From an admin forum one of the admins said the decision to add new sub forums is based on one thing - the number of threads in the state forum. So if someone wants to see a sub forum respond to and create more threads about a particular region.

See //www.city-data.com/forum/about...r-forum-3.html

That's one reason I have been posting and responding to more threads about the Central Coast recently. However I think there are already enough questions/posts in general to justify both a Central Coast and Central Valley sub forums. There are certainly enough people. Although millions of people are not enough reason to create a sub forum alone.

Derek

Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
I live in the Central Valley (Tulare) and would not only love a dedicated section as well, but would probably increase my time spent contributing on CD were such a section to be created.

I should also point out...for what it's worth....I run a forum myself, but dedicated to a more specific niche target audience. It runs on the same VBulletin platform as CD. And I'm here to tell you now that anyone who has Admin rights can have the new subsection set up and running in under five minutes. Under three if they really know what they are doing. Usergroup permissions can be tied to a parent category and therefore need not even be additionally set up. Considering the size and scope of this site, the amount of additional bandwidth consumed would be negligible to nonexistent.

So why not? Just about every other part of the State has a section. As noted above, there is both a lot of miles and a lot of people along the Hwy 99 corridor from Bakersfield to Stockton (Sacratomato already has its own section, so I'll end the 'Valley' there, even though geologically and geograpically, Sac is in the same 'region' as Merced, Fresno, Visalia, and Bakersfield.).

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
Bakersfield and Fresno are probably far enough apart that it won't happen, but I think a San Joaquin Valley forum would be a good idea. The Sacramento forum gets a lot of people in from other areas of the Sacramento Valley.

At the very least, a Fresno-Visalia forum should be added.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Do what we did to get the Ventura County Forum. We kept pushing for it and then added threads in the Los Angeles and main California forums. I say create your own sub forum by increasing the number of threads that you start. Provide items that people would want to see in your area. For me the Ventura County forum is a baby that many of us are trying to raise. It is kind of fun to be a part of the beggining of that sub forum and help get it going. Several of us are doing our parts to keep it interesting. Also remember to support each others threads and make it interesting. If someone starts a new thread comment on it and add to the discussion. Maybe even do a search to see what other threads apply and see if new info can be added to bring those threads back to life. Let the administrators know what is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California