Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I lived outside Fresno (long ago) ... and in San Fransisco ... but mainly in Seattle (and San Juan Islands) for many years ... I continue to travel to California several times a year to enjoy what I love there, mostly along the coast, but also through Shasta Lake and Redding ... usually 101 one way and I-5 the other. All that said, if you have enjoyed Seattle and its lifestyle, you are likely going to find the Bay Area at least reasonably enjoyable -- perhaps highly so

Redding will be H-O-T like nothing you've known up north -- but beautiful, and the heat is dry (so almost fun for me as long as below mid-90's). Pretty nice town, without the overwhelming issues of Big City living.

Fresno? If there is much of anything you Like about Seattle, you will likely not find Fresno your cup of Starbucks. It was long ago for me -- though my return 'drive-thru's haven't invited me to stop again, either.

If your gut reaction to the L.A. area is not good, why not trust your instincts? Money is convenient, but hardly a substitute for happiness and comfort.

As for the unfriendly "stay in Seattle" comments contributed here by some, I have to chuckle ... with the NW known for its anti-California rants, turn-about is fun to read ... heh ... Lord knows it would be mean of you to bring spores of NW mold in the crevices of your galoshes down to the Land of Milk and Honey
Nullgeo, I just read your post, after writing my post. great minds think alike. We managed to say the same thing, only differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
If you have a bad feeling about L.A explore it first! You might surprise yourself. I personally love L.A more than SF. You might too.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
Default Question

Im a 20yr old student studying in the Uk and am thinking of going to Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry in Redding, California as a postgraduate degree. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what student life in Redding is like? I don't have that much money to spare and so am eager to learn what the Cost of Living is like? Also, are there many foreigners in Redding as I love international cities

Thank you!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 32,222 times
Quote:
I lived outside Fresno (long ago) ... and in San Fransisco ... but mainly in Seattle (and San Juan Islands) for many years ... I continue to travel to California several times a year to enjoy what I love there, mostly along the coast, but also through Shasta Lake and Redding ... usually 101 one way and I-5 the other. All that said, if you have enjoyed Seattle and its lifestyle, you are likely going to find the Bay Area at least reasonably enjoyable -- perhaps highly so

Redding will be H-O-T like nothing you've known up north -- but beautiful, and the heat is dry (so almost fun for me as long as below mid-90's). Pretty nice town, without the overwhelming issues of Big City living.

Fresno? If there is much of anything you Like about Seattle, you will likely not find Fresno your cup of Starbucks. It was long ago for me -- though my return 'drive-thru's haven't invited me to stop again, either.

If your gut reaction to the L.A. area is not good, why not trust your instincts? Money is convenient, but hardly a substitute for happiness and comfort.

As for the unfriendly "stay in Seattle" comments contributed here by some, I have to chuckle ... with the NW known for its anti-California rants, turn-about is fun to read ... heh ... Lord knows it would be mean of you to bring spores of NW mold in the crevices of your galoshes down to the Land of Milk and Honey
Quote:
Ah ... addendum time, given tstieber's comment:
Redding and Seattle are very dissimilar -- agreed! But I do not agree with the simple characterization that Redding is a "horrendously hot, dusty town in the valley with just basic infrastructure" ... it gets incredibly hot for several months a year, also true ... but much of the time, the weather there is really very nice -- why it attracts a lot of retirees. "Dusty town"? I don't experience it that way. "In the valley"? Well, sort of, but really it is the transition from the mountains to the valley ... thus as one travels south to Red Bluff one gets a dramatic change to valley scenery (!) compared to the north of town where it is simply 'knock your socks off' beautiful mountains, forests and lakes. And finally, "just basic infra-structure"? ... Redding has everything a red, white, and blue American consumer could ask for -- short of extensive nightlife glitz. It's a lot more than basic.

I'm not pitching the place ... but fair is fair. That's a beautiful area with much recreation to recommend it, and plenty good family activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMkushi View Post
Im a 20yr old student studying in the Uk and am thinking of going to Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry in Redding, California as a postgraduate degree. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what student life in Redding is like? I don't have that much money to spare and so am eager to learn what the Cost of Living is like? Also, are there many foreigners in Redding as I love international cities

Thank you!
Read the posts above... also if you want more information conciser making a thread along the lines of.. "how if life in redding, is it expensive?" ect..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California