Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:46 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times

Advertisements

I can't belive anyone would consider voting yes on this. You hear the propaganda sob story, save our parks! Screw that, we get taxed more than anyone in the nation, and yes this is a tax, don't let the word "fee" fool you. Not everyone goes to state parks, but everyone has to pay the $18? I know it's only $18 dollars, but everything is getting more expensive, IT ADDS UP. NO on 21, tell the state to get their act together and find out how to fix the problem themselves, that's what they are paid to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
The fiscal issues aside, I think it would be a mistake to stop charging entrance, day and use fees in the state parks. People tend to assign more value to things that come with a price. While the fees may be collected via vehicle registration, that will be less noticeable than a fee paid at the gate. I think that people who can simply drive into and use the parks will not accord them the same level of care they do now. Also, those who couldn't afford them before and who are probably somewhat less sophisticated than those who could will now have access.

Oh boy! Free admission! Lets all go! Parks will become more crowded, more trash will be left and less care will be taken with the flora and fauna.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 21,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Ok, let us set the stage. California has state parks, lots of them, 278 of them, covering thousands of acres from the coast to the mountains, visited by over 80 million people a years.
These parks are chronically underfunded, with a backlog of infrastructure work needed of over a billion dollars.
Last year 150 of these parks were shut down part time or suffered deep service reductions.

These parks are our treasure.

How about a way to fund the parks, and keep them free admission?

Sounds great eh?

Prop 21 creates an 18 dollar fee attached to each vehicle registered in the state, this will give us Californians free access to each and every park year round, and provide money to fix the infrastructure.

18 bucks, that isn't much more than the daily entrance fee currently charged at many of the parks, and is half the fee for one night camping.

Now, you will say, 18 bucks more in fees and taxes, no way. And if you never visit a park I can understand your point of view, but few of us actually, never visit a state park.

Now, I own four vehicles, so I get to cough up an extra 72 bucks a year. If I visit the parks, that is worth it to me. If I never visit the parks, my 72 bucks helps make it possible for others to visit, so I can consider it part of my dues to our society, works for me, how about for you?
Hi Highnlite, It's a good plan for those who have the income. I'm on SSI. Vehicle fees were already increased and I barely came up with the money to pay this years fees. If it rises again I most likely won't be able to pay. I am disabled and can barely walk. I've had both hips replaced and now it's my knees giving out. I can't walk a half a block. How could I get to a store, the closes being a mile away, without a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California