Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,692 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from Chicago, love the city life (Chicago & New York) but HATE the cold and traffic. I lived in Raleigh, NC for 5 years, then Charleston, SC for 3 and loved them both. I am just ready for something different. I am a 27 yr old recently divorce mom of a 2 yr. old little boy. I work from home and I make a nice salary so the job market is not an issue. I don't however want to spend all of my income on my living expenses. I'm looking for good schools, things to do, a bit of the city life near water. I like running on the beach, concerts, music, culture, good food, being out past 10pm and of course a super Walmart(lol). I have looked at San Diego, Riverside, Corona and LA. I don't want to live in LA, but would like to be able to get there within an hour to an hour in a half. If anyone knows where I can find all that I'm looking for please respond. (links to any suggested area/city is GREATLY appreciated) I'm open to look anywhere in California where it does not snow or get stupid down south hot. Also renting is ok but I would rather buy. Rent buget 1100 a month for a 2 bedroom.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM

92 posts, read 189,861 times
You are asking a lot for very little $ for CA. Any coastal cities are going to be expensive. There are pockets of crime everywhere in CA now--even on the coast. Central and Northern beaches tend to be much, much colder than southern beaches. Riverside and Corona are now going to be quite a drive to the beach due to horrid traffic. San Diego might be a good bet for you but I would be surprised at a nice rental for $1100 that is not in a bad part of town. I'd look at Craigslist to see if you can find a decent rental for that price and then come back on here and ask about specific neighborhoods.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,692 times
Default @ mydogstinks

Thank you for your suggestion. What is the rent for a 2 bedroom in a good area in SD and would SF be better?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:53 PM

92 posts, read 189,861 times
No, it would not. In fact, SF may be even more expensive. I think your best bet is to look at rentals on Craigslist for a while to get an idea on what rent is--but again, it all depends on neighborhood. So gather info that way and then come back here and ask more specific questions and that might help you in your search.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
hi there. We are opposite... i'm considering to move to chicago! Now, i live in Upland, CA. I went to school in riverside and i have family in LA. Upland/ontario/rancho is a perfect location that's kind of the middle. You can go to riverside around 25 min (university area) and around 40-55 min to LA. I live with my mother in a one bedroom apartment ($875per month). Now, about the beach, the inland empire is basically the desert so, newport, long beach, venice will all be a drive in either direction. Basically won't be a 15 min drive. Traffic is always bad on the 10 freeway but u'll get used to it. "nightlife, concert, etc..." based on my experience are all better in LA and there more options. The weather is great of course but you can get isolated. You drive, drive, everywhere. People here are mostly to themselves and it's hard to socialize. to top that the job market is preety bad. Racially, it's pretty diverse and the hispanic population tops the list then the rest is pretty much the same. Anyways, hope it helps. If you could, can you please tell me your experience living in chicago? i really want to move, i'm 24 and ready for a change. I graduated college and want to start fresh. I want to do things over again. What i love is just green trees, affordable rent with yard, diverse neighborhood, etc... anything you have to say will help. thanks again and i hope i helped.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Either increase your budget, decrease the size of the place you are looking for or plan to live further inland where it gets hotter, smoggier, and crime may be an issue.

The weather in LA County can vary as much as 40 degrees with many micro climates. For example the coast can have some fog and be in the upper 60s while the Inland Empire can be 100+. Also San Bernardino has some of the worst smog in the nation. So if you have any allergy issues or are prone to ashma it may not be the best choice.

I think Ventura County might be a good option.

Closer to LA I'd say the South Bay beaches like Torrance or Redondo would be great:

Maybe parts of Long Beach, but be careful for cheaper rentals there. LB has some ghetto neighborhoods as well as really nice ones like Belmont Shore.

A bit inland for more affordability (but not too far inland) take a look at places like Los Alamitos, Cypress, Brea, etc...

For good schools take a look at this map and scrolll in to the areas of potential interest:

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-15-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 12,200 times
Hi, I am in the opposite situation...moving to Chicago from California. I have two children and we are moving because it is too expensive here. Sure there is great weather and gorgeous beaches, mountains, etc. but it is very hard to live here, IMHO. You can not rent anything in a nice area for 1100 a month. Plus you will need a car, gas is expensive and traffic is horrible.

I have lived in Chicago and while the winters are cold and the summers are hot it is an amazing city. Plenty to do and a car is not necessary. We are a 1 car family now and it's almost impossible to get my 11 year old to school. The schools are not very good at all and as someone mentioned earlier, everyone keeps to themselves, it is not as friendly as Chicago at all. I regret leaving! IMHO, don't do it!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Either increase your budget, decrease the size of the place you are looking for or plan to live further inland where it gets hotter, smoggier, and crime may be an issue.

The weather in LA County can vary as much as 40 degrees with many micro climates. For example the coast can have some fog and be in the upper 60s while the Inland Empire can be 100+. Also San Bernardino has some of the worst smog in the nation. So if you have any allergy issues or are prone to ashma it may not be the best choice.

I think Ventura County might be a good option.

Closer to LA I'd say the South Bay beaches like Torrance or Redondo would be great:

Maybe parts of Long Beach, but be careful for cheaper rentals there. LB has some ghetto neighborhoods as well as really nice ones like Belmont Shore.

A bit inland for more affordability (but not too far inland) take a look at places like Los Alamitos, Cypress, Brea, etc...

For good schools take a look at this map and scrolll in to the areas of potential interest:

California School Performance Maps

Derek

We live in Cypress, the schools are horrible and the area is blah. Long Beach is nice (Belmont Shore) But you can't rent something in that area for under 1700 + utilities. Traffic is bad and the schools aren't great either. It's LA Unified and not good at all. We have our daughter in Los Alamitos school district which is much better than Cypress or Long Beach but the rent is high there too. 1600+ for a very small 2 bedroom. It is unbelievably expensive here. My DH works for the a TV station in Hollywood and his salary is still not enough to support us. My business went under and I have not found work. It's hard, think again before relocating right now. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:15 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless View Post
Hi, I am in the opposite situation...moving to Chicago from California. I have two children and we are moving because it is too expensive here. Sure there is great weather and gorgeous beaches, mountains, etc. but it is very hard to live here, IMHO. You can not rent anything in a nice area for 1100 a month. Plus you will need a car, gas is expensive and traffic is horrible.

I have lived in Chicago and while the winters are cold and the summers are hot it is an amazing city. Plenty to do and a car is not necessary. We are a 1 car family now and it's almost impossible to get my 11 year old to school. The schools are not very good at all and as someone mentioned earlier, everyone keeps to themselves, it is not as friendly as Chicago at all. I regret leaving! IMHO, don't do it!
Well, I agree at least in part. Although the OP is in a little different position, or at least it seems as she said jobs/salary are not an issue. If that was really the case then to make it work would require spending more for rent/housing to be in one of the better school districts and nicer, more family friendly areas. Either that or live in a smaller 1BR place. I don't think the OP realizes the cost of living in the nicer parts of CA, especially those closer to the coast.

However on a tighter budget the Carolinas may be a better fit. Especially since she lived in Raleigh and Charleston and loved them both. But I can uinderstand why some would not like Chicago. It's definately not for everyone. You have to be ok with long cold Winters and life in the midwest.

Derek

Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 PM

True, we have a friend that moved from Cali to NC and rents a huge 3 bedroom for $650. But as far as "things to do" Chicago is the best from most places I have lived by far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California