Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

People who moan about **** they can do abso-frikken-lutely nothing about = Sisyphus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 PM

514 posts, read 686,964 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite
Anchorage is great, because it is so close to Alaska.

My son was up there in March a few years ago for the Nordic Junior Olympics, in March, the highs were about 20 each day, very mild?

Um...Anchorage is in Alaska, not just close to it.
This is too funny, I had no idea that there would be someone who did not get the Joke, obviously someone who knows little about either Anchorage nor Alaska.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:36 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
My point is that California - any part of California - is not paradise. I'm not just looking at the seasons alone, I'm saying the lack of seasons are a symptom of the larger issue. No seasons = people get dumb when things are just a little bit different than the open sunny sky they're used to and that bothers me.
You're clearly one of those posters who suffers from SoCal Myopia in understanding what the term "California" truly encompasses. California does not end at the Grapevine. Some of us in northern California rarely see "open sunny sky" and have all the seasonal variation anyone could want (though we're a bit short on sunshine and warm weather some years).

Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM

He has the typical view of someone not from here: All of California is represented by either the sprawl of the So Cal megalopolis or the Bay Area.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It irritates me and one of the co-workers actually ridiculed me for letting it bother me so much.
And for good reason, you are a bit of a drama queen when it comes to this subject as I've seen in the past. Considering rain only effects the commute maybe 5-10% of the time in San Diego, who gives a crap how they aren't the best drivers in the rain? And even then, it's not even that bad or at least as bad as you make it sound. And what exactly do you propose California do to rectify this problem of lacking seasons in Southern CA?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And for good reason, you are a bit of a drama queen when it comes to this subject as I've seen in the past. Considering rain only effects the commute maybe 5-10% of the time in San Diego, who gives a crap how they aren't the best drivers in the rain? And even then, it's not even that bad or at least as bad as you make it sound. And what exactly do you propose California do to rectify this problem of lacking seasons in Southern CA?
Unfortunately many ppl move here for the $$ or to try and make it big only to end up moaning and complaining how it's not like whatever they remembered in Ky, Ok, Nh or <fill in the blank>. My point is life's too short. Either make the best of where you are or move somewhere else. It's really that simple, but yet so hard for some.

It's highly likely that the same person will eventually move only to find something new to complain about the next place they go. Here is a reality check - no place is perfect! If your illusion of San Diego was something other than a relatively dry mediterranean climate, well you were wrong. You either didn't do your homework or notice it's geographic location (hint - bordering Mexico and Arizona).

We got tired of SoCal after growing up and living there most of our lives. So we moved to Co then to the Central Coast which is very different from what you are experiencing. If you really don't like it set some professional goals and go somewhere different.

But don't stereotype the entire state based on your own very limited experience and myopic view of CA. Just look at the photos from other parts of the state which have been posted including cities like Sacramento. Climate changes as you move north geographically.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-14-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Unfortunately many ppl move here for the $$ or to try and make it big only to end up moaning and complaining how it's not like whatever they remembered in Ky, Ok, Nh or <fill in the blank>. My point is life's too short. Either make the best of where you are or move somewhere else. It's really that simple, but yet so hard for some.

It's highly likely that the same person will eventually move only to find something new to complain about the next place they go. Here is a reality check - no place is perfect! If your illusion of San Diego was something other than a relatively dry mediterranean climate, well you were wrong. You either didn't do your homework or notice it's geographic location (hint - bordering Mexico and Arizona).

We got tired of SoCal after growing up and living there most of our lives. So we moved to Co then to the Central Coast which is very different from what you are experiencing. If you really don't like it set some professional goals and go somewhere different.

But don't stereotype the entire state based on your own very limited experience and myopic view of CA. Just look at the photos from other parts of the state which have been posted including cities like Sacramento. Climate changes as you move north geographically.

Derek
I would have said this but he already did, except for the Central Coast part, I don't live there .

Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
This is too funny, I had no idea that there would be someone who did not get the Joke, obviously someone who knows little about either Anchorage nor Alaska.
Yup, sailed right over his head!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:36 AM

And mine.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Its a joke among Alaskans. Since Anchorage is Alaska's only big city, most of the rural folks like to joke that the real Alaska can be reached with only a 15 minute drive out of Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California