Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think of these two developments? I think Colony Square should bring in some nice restaraunts like Apple Bees and Olive Garden while I think La Plaza should build a bowling alley. I also think Colony Square should get some stores like Pac Sun or other cool stores. We definately have enough population to support one in Atascadero since we used to have a striving bowling alley. The city of Atascadero I can't believe allowed for laser tag to be built. It hasn't even started construction yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM

514 posts, read 686,511 times
Try being a locavore, patronize your neighbors business, not national chains.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Try being a locavore, patronize your neighbors business, not national chains.
We have so many local businesses as it is. And the only local place worth going to Atascadero for me is Garcia's. Plus, look at Santa Barbara is. If I were you I'd focus on changing that city. The liberals and hippies are for sure taking over there. Oh well, that city is money hungry. With stores like Amercian Apparel that destroy the means of America Life and a gay night club there you know that a city has been lost. And not all national chains are the devil. They help bring tax revenue to cities in need. All though I will say Wal-Mart is pretty bad because they do not treat their foreign workers in China very well.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 AM

514 posts, read 686,511 times
Quote:
The liberals and hippies are for sure taking over there. Oh well, that city is money hungry.

Never been to Santa Barbara have you? Very odd, you are a kid, and you are disparaging liberals and hippies? I understand why you think national chains are the way to go, it is drummed into you every day by the TeeVee. Tell you what, start a business, see how you like the National Chains then.

Quote:
We have so many local businesses as it is
Oh yes, Atascadero is full of thriving business, you can see them all just by driving down the main drag.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Applebees=canned hot wing sauce
Olive Garden=canned Alfredo sauce
Geez kid! At least wish for something original!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
We've lived in Atascadero over 25 years. I agree with those who would actually like to see something in Atascadero that SLO, A.G. and Paso do NOT have, businesses to which people here to willing to drive long distances to access. Instead of another Walmart (when there is one only 10 miles away) how about an Ikea store, a Frys? We need to woo businesses where locals might be actually interested in shopping that don't have exactly what everyone else has, that draw in not only people from Atascadero, but also are destination stops for people from south of the grade and north of the city, and even the "valley" tourists.

Personally, I would not likely shop much at a Walmart. I'm not opposed to chain stores, just getting the right ones, not the first business to the plate with money in hand. What do we really want to buy that we cannot already readily access? There was once a proposal to have a Trader Joes here....Templeton jumped on that. What a missed opportunity! Clothing stores? The only great place in Atascadero is Kelly's Casuals (good job Kell!) But virtually nothing for men and women. Why didn't we woo Kohl's or TJ Maxx before surrounding cities did?

And I've always lamented at the huge number of gaudy fast food places that NEVER get my business. It cheapens the town. The BEST restaurant in town is Kai Lana's. Kudos for good pricing, great food and service, nice patio. We occasionally go to Sylvester's. We were patrons of Hoovers and Village Cafe, but those have gone by the wayside. We've tried most places in town, but not many good choices. Older places are run down and run-of-the-mill blah. How about incentives to step up their games if they want to remain?

Atascadero city council prided itself in the development of "businesses" along Highway 41. There was no master plan so that it looked cohesive and put together...actually planned. Any builder with an idea was welcomed in to build with no apparent limitations or guidelines. So the result? A hodgepodge of SMALL spaces, unrelated architecture, that remain 1/2 empty since completion. Unappealing. The larger and more appealing of the building WERE taken. But some of the smaller ones are almost an eyesore. A better balance of larger office spaces might have invited in some larger business, thus creating much needed jobs. A few years ago, from my exposure to members of the EVC, businesses were looking for more space, but didn't want to build. Little was available here. Missed opportunity. Some went to Paso or elswhere. How short-sighted Atascadero seems to be! Seems always without a well-rounded vision or master plan for the long-term, and maybe out of touch with resident spending habits. Colony Square is cool and I am hopeful, but as others have said here, poor choices of vendors kill the luster. Another cell phone shop, a Subway...really? Coldstones may be ok by the theatre and if the rest of the plaza develops into a real strolling pathway, it will be a good summer stop.

Well, I'm here for the long run, I have shopping money to spend and prefer to spend locally, so hope to see improvements in the future.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the hill View Post
We've lived in Atascadero over 25 years. I agree with those who would actually like to see something in Atascadero that SLO, A.G. and Paso do NOT have, businesses to which people here to willing to drive long distances to access. Instead of another Walmart (when there is one only 10 miles away) how about an Ikea store, a Frys? We need to woo businesses where locals might be actually interested in shopping that don't have exactly what everyone else has, that draw in not only people from Atascadero, but also are destination stops for people from south of the grade and north of the city, and even the "valley" tourists.

Personally, I would not likely shop much at a Walmart. I'm not opposed to chain stores, just getting the right ones, not the first business to the plate with money in hand. What do we really want to buy that we cannot already readily access? There was once a proposal to have a Trader Joes here....Templeton jumped on that. What a missed opportunity! Clothing stores? The only great place in Atascadero is Kelly's Casuals (good job Kell!) But virtually nothing for men and women. Why didn't we woo Kohl's or TJ Maxx before surrounding cities did?

And I've always lamented at the huge number of gaudy fast food places that NEVER get my business. It cheapens the town. The BEST restaurant in town is Kai Lana's. Kudos for good pricing, great food and service, nice patio. We occasionally go to Sylvester's. We were patrons of Hoovers and Village Cafe, but those have gone by the wayside. We've tried most places in town, but not many good choices. Older places are run down and run-of-the-mill blah. How about incentives to step up their games if they want to remain?

Atascadero city council prided itself in the development of "businesses" along Highway 41. There was no master plan so that it looked cohesive and put together...actually planned. Any builder with an idea was welcomed in to build with no apparent limitations or guidelines. So the result? A hodgepodge of SMALL spaces, unrelated architecture, that remain 1/2 empty since completion. Unappealing. The larger and more appealing of the building WERE taken. But some of the smaller ones are almost an eyesore. A better balance of larger office spaces might have invited in some larger business, thus creating much needed jobs. A few years ago, from my exposure to members of the EVC, businesses were looking for more space, but didn't want to build. Little was available here. Missed opportunity. Some went to Paso or elswhere. How short-sighted Atascadero seems to be! Seems always without a well-rounded vision or master plan for the long-term, and maybe out of touch with resident spending habits. Colony Square is cool and I am hopeful, but as others have said here, poor choices of vendors kill the luster. Another cell phone shop, a Subway...really? Coldstones may be ok by the theatre and if the rest of the plaza develops into a real strolling pathway, it will be a good summer stop.

Well, I'm here for the long run, I have shopping money to spend and prefer to spend locally, so hope to see improvements in the future.
I think Colony Square should expand by 200,000 sq. ft. and more clothing stores and restuaraunts. The outlet mall is the only mall in the area and outlet malls don't offer all the traditional mall restaurants and stores. Atascadero's Colony Square could attract Hollister's, Forever 21, Express, Orange Julius, Cinnabon, etc...Clothing stores and restaurants like being near a movie theater because it draws the young age group and Colony Square has a parking lot which makes it more of an outdoor mall. Examples such as the Shoppes at Arbor Lakes and Destin Commons are small towns with outdoor malls.

However, Atascadero has been written off as the working class rural city. Even Paso Robles has been written off as a working class rural city, but with winery tourism.

Templeton has been considered to be a middle class yuppie town with a good school district, hospital, Trader Joes, small parks, and a small population that attracts educated families here.

Unfortunately though, in this county the apparel stores and restaurants locate in downtown San Luis Obispo while the clothing department stores and Costco went in the big box centers in Southern San Luis Obispo.

Expect to see White House Black Market, J. Jill, J. Crew, Anthropologie, American Apparel, or Sur La Table to replace Talbots and also any of these stores to go on Palm Street of Downtown San Luis Obispo in the next two years. Also Whole Foods to go into Garden Street Terraces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California