Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

You realize that California may have a greater population than all of Canada (last estimate I saw was pretty close).
Yes, the state of California actually has about 5 or 6 million more people than all of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default What do Californians think of Canadians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
What do Californians think of Canadians?
They try not to!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And they can be VERY touchy...
Apparently...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Hockey in Los Angeles, right?

So, when the Kings owner Jack Kent Cooke addressed the Kings early (late 1960s) struggles, especially at the lack of tickets sold at the gate, after having been told that there were more than three hundred thousand former Canadians living within a three-hour drive of Los Angeles, he remarked, "Now I know why they left Canada: They hate hockey!"

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK78 View Post
Oh, and because you are from Kansas, California and New York you consider yourself either Liberal or Conservative. I lived in Ontario and I am conservative....give me a break, don't sterotype me. If you want to say it I am more like a person from Manitoba. As for the east coast, being more rural, they are more conservative. But please stop putting us all neat packages. I have been in the States for 20 years, I am not going to be tread on by the likes of someone who thinks they know who I am. We, I can say as a population, use better english, and are polite and apologize immediately if we are incorrect. If I'm incorrect here NewToCa, I apologize but unless you were born and bread as a Canadian-American (don't ever call me that- because I am an American-thank-you) you can keep your stereotype to yourself. If my grammar or english was incorrect, I apologize because i have been up late with 5 kids too many days in a row..
Let's see now, a poster ask what our opinions are concerning Canadians, and then another one states I'm not interested in reading your opinion.

Hmmm....

Actually though, there are political tendencies in each of the major Canadian population centers. As with the US there are always exceptions, but the trends are clearly there. For example, you can find profound liberals in Alabama, likewise you can find conservatives in Ontario, but the areas themselves have specific political tendencies.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
A former Californian, I realized the sinister truth about Canadians long ago and decided to sacrifice my happiness in the land of milk and honey south to serve on the front lines up north. I now reside almost on the border in Washington to keep watch on the conspiracists in the Great White. It is not pretty.

Much as Sarah watches the Russians through binoculars from her home in Wasilla -- tracking the sinful, naked prancing of polar bears and seals -- I faithfully study, monitor, and document the weather these 'civilized' Canadians send south, all while they support and spout false science that attributes the cold to "atmospheric conditions". HA! Total fabrication!

I have mingled for years, often behind enemy lines. Brutal! Sitting in hockey rinks! Shivering on ferries! The plot is real. Don't let their kind and mild manner deceive you. Don't let their polite generosity suck you in. Don't be engaged by their witty intelligence. Watch out for their showmanship lest it dazzle you!

These evil demons are bent on freezing you all out of California -- subtly and slowly, careful not to reveal themselves as the source of ALL bad weather. But it is true. And once you have all finally fled the horror of flannel and wool, these icy hearts will swoop down like the honking geese they really are -- by the tens of millions -- like an icy wind. But they know how to shut off the weather generator, and once established in California they will return our fair land to perpetual warmth and sunshine for their own indulgence!

I'm just sayin

Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 AM

126 posts, read 231,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And they can be VERY touchy...
nope, just overly tired and americanized Stereotyping myself this am (can I also tag on PMS too. ROFLMAO) It is amazing what you get out of me when I feel horrible. This morning it is a whole new ball game.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 AM

126 posts, read 231,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Let's see now, a poster ask what our opinions are concerning Canadians, and then another one states I'm not interested in reading your opinion.

Hmmm....

Actually though, there are political tendencies in each of the major Canadian population centers. As with the US there are always exceptions, but the trends are clearly there. For example, you can find profound liberals in Alabama, likewise you can find conservatives in Ontario, but the areas themselves have specific political tendencies.

Most of the rural areas of Ontario are conservative. People like to lump all Ontarians with either Toronto or Ottawa, one the provincial capital, the second the capital of the country. That is like saying everyone from New York state tends to be liberal, rural areas anywhere tend to be opposite. I most Canadians hospitable liberal or conservative.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM

123 posts, read 286,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
A former Californian, I realized the sinister truth about Canadians long ago and decided to sacrifice my happiness in the land of milk and honey south to serve on the front lines up north. I now reside almost on the border in Washington to keep watch on the conspiracists in the Great White. It is not pretty.

Much as Sarah watches the Russians through binoculars from her home in Wasilla -- tracking the sinful, naked prancing of polar bears and seals -- I faithfully study, monitor, and document the weather these 'civilized' Canadians send south, all while they support and spout false science that attributes the cold to "atmospheric conditions". HA! Total fabrication!

I have mingled for years, often behind enemy lines. Brutal! Sitting in hockey rinks! Shivering on ferries! The plot is real. Don't let their kind and mild manner deceive you. Don't let their polite generosity suck you in. Don't be engaged by their witty intelligence. Watch out for their showmanship lest it dazzle you!

These evil demons are bent on freezing you all out of California -- subtly and slowly, careful not to reveal themselves as the source of ALL bad weather. But it is true. And once you have all finally fled the horror of flannel and wool, these icy hearts will swoop down like the honking geese they really are -- by the tens of millions -- like an icy wind. But they know how to shut off the weather generator, and once established in California they will return our fair land to perpetual warmth and sunshine for their own indulgence!

I'm just sayin

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa *deeeep breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa

I don't currently reside in CA but I was born there, I have family there, and I will be moving back soon. I've also worked with quite a few Canadians that were visiting and working at my branch temporarily. We talked often and discussed the difference in prices of things like cigarettes and beer and the alcoholic percentage of beer and whatnot. All of them were extremely nice, with the exception of one who was only really nice. Nice about covers it, but, as I said, we conversed in a professional environment so that doesn't leave much room for anything other than nice. I worked with one in particular for about 10-13 hours every day for a few weeks...he was very nice, vaguely flirtatious despite his married status, and whenever I made a sarcastic joke or statement, I had to clarify for him because he took most of it literally. None of this really means anything, but it's what I know. I like people, in general. Canadians are people, and the few that I've known are very nice. I like Canadians.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

I'm just sayin
Dude, you're killin' me! This is seriously funnnyyy. What a warped mind to decipher this conspiracy theory and then observe it actually taking place!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California