Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I don't think it's bashing you are describing. Although I'd probably prefer Seattle for it's natural beauty which I know I have mentioned. The reason I say this is twofold. It meets your criteria for a more modern city. And I also noticed you said you were moving there anyway. So did you change your mind? If so why not Seattle?
I was about to specifically recommend Bellevue. LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 20,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So you passed judgment on the entire huge state of CA because the section of SF you were in was run-down?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Although I'd probably prefer Seattle for it's natural beauty which I know I have mentioned. The reason I say this is twofold. It meets your criteria for a more modern city. And I also noticed you said you were moving there anyway. So did you change your mind? If so why not Seattle?
It's funny you should mention that, since I've kind of done this whole "where would I like to live?" thing once, and the first time was Seattle.

I decided to become a police officer, and since every city has police officers, well, where would I like to live? I picked Seattle; I thought it'd be perfect for me.

Uh-uh. Seattle turned out to be grimy/dirty, pretty damn old, and just unappealing in a lot of ways, but I didn't have a problem with the weather, which is a common complaint. I was disappointed, to say the least. Now Redmond, that was a pretty nice place. I loved Edmonds as well. But Seattle.... mehhhh.

Also Derek, thank you for your replies thus far. You have really given me some food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Based on your preferences, San Jose sounds about perfect, exception being that it does get hot there in the summer (though this year was really cool). San Jose is mostly brand new, it used to be a town of orchards and farms until the Silicon Valley boom. San Jose compared to San Francisco is a lot less congested, less homeless, cleaner, but also quieter and more suburban. For a city its size it has very little night life to offer. It gets a lot of flack for this reason as well as its suburban/bland feel as compared to San Francisco.
Wow. You're really selling me on San Jose. I'm a nerd, so I like staying at home. I don't go out to party, and I like the suburbs. Always have. But thank you for clarifying why exactly some people might not like San Jose. It's good to know.

I'll have to take a look at Stanford as well. It's unfortunate that it would be pricey, though. These are all great suggestions.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I was about to specifically recommend Bellevue. LOL!!!!
Oh, and Bellevue was nice too, but not as nice as Redmond, IMO.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piks View Post
Oh, and Bellevue was nice too, but not as nice as Redmond, IMO.
Yeah, there are so many great options in WA if you can handle some clouds and rain. I love how green it is in the PNW. It's really gorgeous this time of the year especially. We just got back from vactioning there and were very impressed. But I love the outdoors and with the Cascades that close to the cities it's truly an awesome site to see. Not to mention the mountains themselves.

Derek

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
So you passed judgment on the entire huge state of CA because the section of SF you were in was run-down?
Sounds like they will fit in perfectly

Old 09-17-2010, 03:45 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
My nieces and nephews in Phoenix would do the same (in fact, they had just such a response to Paris when they visited two years ago). You have to realize that Phoenix is a city that barely existed half a century ago. Half of the Valley of the Sun megapolis that you see today has been built since 1980. Seeing infrastructure that's more than 50 years old is a bit of a mind-blower to a lot of Phoenicians. They don't know what to think when they visit a place that has some historical depth.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM

I could see that from Phoenicians. Of course, I'm from Canada, myself, and haven't been in Phoenix for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California