Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 37,060 times

Advertisements

My wife & I (mid 40's) just returned from our honeymoon, part of which was spent in Humboldt County area.(in several towns). My question to LOCAL RESIDENTS who have live there NOW:

Jobs, I have searched "Craigs List" for Arcata,Mckinleyville,Eureka area's. I have found some work to be available.NOT CAREER big $ money positions BUT for 2 workin class folks, I want to know if we could expect to find decent full time work (multi. expierenced) both of us,w/solid backgrounds) to sustain LIVING costs.We would rent for 6 months then FIND the right house & buy & settle in in Humboldt County somewhere...

Im looking for any input on general work, I have been in sales for 25 years and ALWAYS made a decent living selling just about EVERYTHING.My wife has college degree(s). Art, interior design, & she also does jewelry & paints & has HEALTH CARE background for employment.

WE need ANY & ALL to respond with some answers.We woudl like to set up our plan ASAP. & move after Jan. (3 to 6 months) or as soon as we SELL our home in PA here!
Thanks in advance for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
With the possible exception of Arcata, due to Humboldt State University, much of, if not most of, the northern coastal area has had a depressed economy for years since logging was hampered, as it remains.

I've no doubt two of you working available jobs could exist there but do you really think now is a time to sell your home? Of course, conversely, now is a buyer's market in much of, if not all of, California.

Have you considered the weather patterns in NorCal along the coast? Normally you're talkin' overcast, rain and fog for days , weeks and maybe months on end. We'd have retired up there (we're native Californians) but for the fact that as my wife is susceptible to SAD. Not a good mix.

If you can make it work on all counts, best of luck to you. The northern coast is gorgeous! Just make sure you think it through.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-19-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Yes, I have considered the housing market as a BIG factor.Fortunatly, our home siutaion in equity terms is VERY good. We KNOW we will take a "hit" in the value as to what we think we can sell it for.
IE: Property is valued at 190k, I expect around 160k in this current housing market OR less..We can take the hit due to the fact that we owe VERY little on the property.Our thoughts are that we can sustain the loss in $$$ NOW & relocate & BUY in Humboldt with about 100k down & a VERY small mortgage because we only need a SMALL home bungalow size for 2 of us & our dog.

We are aware of the climate. SAD is NOT a factor for us. I am VERY drawn to the area after our visit last month. JOBS are my concern.Thanks for your input sir. ANY & ALL info is IMPORTANT to us in helping make this HUGE decision in relocating for the "2nd." half of our life. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyroads1967 View Post
Yes, I have considered the housing market as a BIG factor.Fortunatly, our home siutaion in equity terms is VERY good. We KNOW we will take a "hit" in the value as to what we think we can sell it for.
IE: Property is valued at 190k, I expect around 160k in this current housing market OR less..We can take the hit due to the fact that we owe VERY little on the property.Our thoughts are that we can sustain the loss in $$$ NOW & relocate & BUY in Humboldt with about 100k down & a VERY small mortgage because we only need a SMALL home bungalow size for 2 of us & our dog.

We are aware of the climate. SAD is NOT a factor for us. I am VERY drawn to the area after our visit last month. JOBS are my concern.Thanks for your input sir. ANY & ALL info is IMPORTANT to us in helping make this HUGE decision in relocating for the "2nd." half of our life. Thanks.
I understand. My wife and I married at ages 48 and 50, respectively, then retired to the MO Ozarks some years later. In our experience, the "2nd" half of our lives has far outweighed the "1st" half.

Best to you!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Curmudgeon is correct about it's fragile economy. After the the crash of the logging industry Humboldt County's economy never fully recovered. One of the largest current economic factors if not the largest is the growing of marijuana - it's huge! And there is actually some concern that legalization may cause an even larger economic crash than the timber industry once did. But many are hoping/praying that it won't. Take a look at a recent article in the local paper discussing this:

As It Stands: Why Humboldt County will survive marijuana legalization - Times-Standard Online

Much of the sales work up there involves the Medical MJ business which is thriving apparenty.

Marijuana and the real life stories of the people who grow it in Humboldt County.

Pot growers thrive in Northern California

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-19-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Every single inquiry always end up with "pot" in the conversation. Im glad the area is weed friendly.I AM VERY knowledgable about the marijuana economy in Humboldt. We are VERY tolerable of the local mind set & terms of the people who make their "living" by growing and/or selling pot. I RESPECT their life,property, & values. I intend to make a livin working & just want peace,quiet & enjoy my life with my wife.We LOVE the enviorment & landscape of the area.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Every single inquiry always end up with "pot" in the conversation. Im glad the area is weed friendly.I AM VERY knowledgable about the marijuana economy in Humboldt. We are VERY tolerable of the local mind set & terms of the people who make their "living" by growing and/or selling pot. I RESPECT their life,property, & values. I intend to make a livin working & just want peace,quiet & enjoy my life with my wife.We LOVE the enviorment & landscape of the area.
You should fit in perfectly!

Yet another reason we moved back to America!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
When MJ business accounts for over half the economy how do you not talk about the area's economy and jobs without discussing it? It's the biggest money maker. If you are fine with that then as Curmudgen said you will most likely fit right in. Whether you choose to work with or along side that line of business of course will be up to you. Just don't expect a lot of other types of work to be readily available. That's not saying you couldn't work retail or find some other sales job. But there aren't really larger well known companies hiring sales reps in that region. Maybe you could start an insurance business or some kind of franchise?

Derek

Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info.Appreciated.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I think you have your answer from everyone who has responded. It is very difficult to make a living in Humbolt county. We were there during the logging hay days, but about the time the eniornmentalists starting protesting the cutting of trees. Even then the economy was suffering.

There are other areas, charming, remote, but not too remote that might work better for you. Visiting and living someplace isn't quite the same.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California