U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,936 times

Advertisements

We're a family of six thinking of moving to California next year. Our childrens ages are 14, 12, 9 and 5. My husband is a fully qualified chef. We both have many years experience in catering and hotel management.

Where do you recommmend we live? (for a start!)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,242,708 times
Ok, more info needed. Choose your weather, population, proximity to airports, skiing, beach, etc...
California is a vast state with many different types of geography and mindsets.
My default answer is Arvin, but your mileage will vary.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,815,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Ok, more info needed. Choose your weather, population, proximity to airports, skiing, beach, etc...
California is a vast state with many different types of geography and mindsets.
My default answer is Arvin, but your mileage will vary.
Arvin, CA the California dream. =p

A ball park figure of how much you want to spend on housing, etc. would help us figure what you might want.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 8,191,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie63 View Post
We're a family of six thinking of moving to California next year. Our childrens ages are 14, 12, 9 and 5. My husband is a fully qualified chef. We both have many years experience in catering and hotel management.

Where do you recommmend we live? (for a start!)
Depends. What can you afford in rent? Do you have green cards? Employment in California is almost as desperate as in Ireland right now.

Now off that subject, take a look into Napa/Yountville/Sonoma/Glen Ellen areas. It's our famous wine growing region and there are many restaurants, day spas, hotels, wineries, wedding receptions, etc. out this way.

Also the cities of Oakland/Berkeley/Albany are very good for a lot of fantastic restaurants as well. Keep in mind that many areas surrounding San Francisco, are crazy expensive however- think Dublin prices. A decent 3 bedroom house to rent in a nicer area would run 3K give or take.

I'm not very familiar with Southern California, so I can't help you with info on that region. Anyone?

Where the heck is "Arvin" that everyone keeps mentioning--is this a joke that I'm not getting??

Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,627,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Depends. What can you afford in rent? Do you have green cards? Employment in California is almost as desperate as in Ireland right now.

Now off that subject, take a look into Napa/Yountville/Sonoma/Glen Ellen areas. It's our famous wine growing region and there are many restaurants, day spas, hotels, wineries, wedding receptions, etc. out this way.

Also the cities of Oakland/Berkeley/Albany are very good for a lot of fantastic restaurants as well. Keep in mind that many areas surrounding San Francisco, are crazy expensive however- think Dublin prices. A decent 3 bedroom house to rent in a nicer area would run 3K give or take.

I'm not very familiar with Southern California, so I can't help you with info on that region. Anyone?

Where the heck is "Arvin" that everyone keeps mentioning--is this a joke that I'm not getting??
haha Arvin is a real place, but uh...

too vague, I cannot answer you Tootsie63

Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM

23,599 posts, read 33,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Arvin is a farm town next door to Weed Patch (Yes! That's a real place too) about 15 miles south of Bakersfield (No! That's not a real place).

Think Grapes of Wrath.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM

14,131 posts, read 28,474,189 times
From Wikipedia:

In 2007, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) listed Arvin as having the highest levels of smog of any community in the United States. The city's level of ozone, smog's primary component, exceeded the EPA's acceptable limits an average of 73 days per year between 2004 and 2006.[3] In Peter Greenberg's 2009 book Don't Go There!, the city is mentioned for its high pollution and ozone levels, although he does mention the main reasons for the pollution are not necessarily its own: its unfavorable geography, which allows airflows from its proximity to Los Angeles and Bakersfield, high amounts of nearby highway traffic, and diesel engines from agricultural vehicles.[4]

Thank your lucky charms you're not breathing that.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,936 times
Thanks for all you replies!

We dont have green card, haven't gone that far down the road yet, but basically we would be looking to rent for the first 12 months while we suss the place out. A friend recommended Newport Beach, but I see property isnt cheap there! Our budget would be 2K pcm

So in a nutshell, we are looking to be just a few miles from the coast, with good schools, (all the usual amenities) in a close knit community which we are used to. Oh, and warm weather all year round would be handy!

Thankyou for your help.

Goes off to Google Arvin.....

Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Going from south to north, here are some you might like: [San Diego County] on the coast: Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, (inland: Poway- very good school district, Rancho Santa Fe, Fallbrook);
[Orange County] on the coast: San Clemente, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Corona Del Mar, (inland: San Juan Capistrano, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo); [Los Angeles County] on the coast: Seal Beach (inland: meh, it all seems the same, and it's crowded until you get up to Calabasas and Agoura Hills); [Ventura County] on the coast: Ventura, (inland: Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Camarillo- hotter than heck during the summer in the Ventura County hinterland! Ojai is the nicest little town in Ventura County); [Santa Barbara County on the coast: Carpinteria, Santa Barbara, Goleta (inland: Santa Ynez, Solvang, Ballard, Los Olivos, Los Alamos, and Orcutt- with the exception of Solvang and Orcutt, which are small, these others are very small); [San Luis Obispo County] on the coast: Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Los Osos-Baywood Park, Morro Bay, and Cayucos, (inland: San Luis Obispo is the main draw, Paso Robles is a good-sized town, Arroyo Grande's fairly nice, Atascadero a little less so, other small towns in the county are nice, but very small). Further north inland brings you into Monterey and San Benito Counties. The Monterey Peninsula is beautiful, but maybe too cold for your liking. Inland in San Benito County is a great little town called San Juan Bautista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California