Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,470 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior in highschool this year and will be graduating in the Spring. My boyfriend and I plan to move to California after graduating. We don't know where to live though. We need to go somewhere fairly cheap. We'll be renting an apartment just need to find an area. We would like to be fairly close to L.A. and about an hour from the beach. Not sure of any other requirements. Any ideas? please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallis View Post
I'm a senior in highschool this year and will be graduating in the Spring. My boyfriend and I plan to move to California after graduating. We don't know where to live though. We need to go somewhere fairly cheap. We'll be renting an apartment just need to find an area. We would like to be fairly close to L.A. and about an hour from the beach. Not sure of any other requirements. Any ideas? please and thank you.
My idea is cut the boyfriend loose, graduate, get a college education, stay at home, save some money and when you have something to offer the working community, think about moving.

But being young, you won't listen!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Mccallis,
Do exactly what he says because if you don't, in twenty years you'll end up like this:

Breaking into houses all over Ventura County, without a boyfriend....without a friend. OK, she is still pretty smoking hot for a 37 year old, but that's not the point.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
My sister got married fairly young, not right out-of-high-school-young but early-college-young, I loathe her husband. She also has two kids now, not doing much other than raising her kids, she has her AA in business I believe but she isn't doing much with it.

Listen to Curm, in this instance.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Just what we need in times of high unemployment, more unskilled entry level workers. How many people applied recently for 100 positions at some nothing special SFV employer, 9000?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,470 times
I'm attending college in California. That's why I'm asking where to move to.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
Man, you old people SUCK =P! Let me handle this:

Understand that California is probably the most expensive state to live in on a mile per mile basis. Even more marginal areas will still cost, on average, way more than the same type of area in any other state. Here are some things to consider:

1) How much of a budget are you willing to have? How much are you willing to pay for rent?
2) Do you have any money saved up?
3) Are you going to bring a car over to CA?
4) Are you planning to go to school over here?
-If yes to #4, consider trying to get California residency, as it will decrease your tuition per unit
(at a CC) from $183/unit to $26/unit. For the universities, the savings is even larger
5) What field are you trying to get into?
6) Are you looking to live in a large city? Suburb? Town?
7) Have you been to California before?

An "hour" in Southern California (which seems is what you want) can mean either, depending on traffic, living 20 miles away or 50 miles away.

If you really want to live here, that's good! However, it's very important that you're serious about it and plan accordingly.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times

Who are you calling old?... whippersnapper!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Man, you old people SUCK =P! Let me handle this:

Understand that California is probably the most expensive state to live in on a mile per mile basis. Even more marginal areas will still cost, on average, way more than the same type of area in any other state. Here are some things to consider:

1) How much of a budget are you willing to have? How much are you willing to pay for rent?
2) Do you have any money saved up?
3) Are you going to bring a car over to CA?
4) Are you planning to go to school over here?
-If yes to #4, consider trying to get California residency, as it will decrease your tuition per unit
(at a CC) from $183/unit to $26/unit. For the universities, the savings is even larger
5) What field are you trying to get into?
6) Are you looking to live in a large city? Suburb? Town?
7) Have you been to California before?

An "hour" in Southern California (which seems is what you want) can mean either, depending on traffic, living 20 miles away or 50 miles away.

If you really want to live here, that's good! However, it's very important that you're serious about it and plan accordingly.
LMAO. Does mommy and daddy know stud muffin is moving out with you?!?. Just Kidding. If you are going to a State, UC or Private college California does have the most number of World Class colleges. However IT IS NOT CHEAP for an out of state student in this State. I hope mommy and daddy is footing the bill or you will have ten of thousands of dollars in student loan debt. Example Fresno State registration for over 7 units for a resident approx 2500 per semester. Non residents pay an extra $350 per unit on top of the registration fee. Throw in books and other misc expenses your looking at about $8000 per semester for 12 units. UC's and Private College's 2 to 2.5 times that amount per semester.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallis View Post
I'm attending college in California. That's why I'm asking where to move to.
Now how do you think you will be able to afford out of state tuition? Do you realize how hard it is to get accepted in the Ca colleges for out of state students? Have you taken your SAT yet and are your scores really high? What kind of a job are you and boyfriend going to get with on education? You are aware of the high unemployment rate in the state aren't you? Even McDonald jobs are not easy to get. What do you mean, fairly cheap? Most areas, anywhere near Los Angeles will cost you $1000 or more a month just for rent plus can insurance, food, utilities, other insurances, gas, etc.

Like everyone else, I am chiming in here to tell you what you want to do isn totally out of the question. What do your parents say about all this? I am sure they are not happy and where are you living now?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California