Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The median rent in San Jose is $1317, and that includes a number of fairly large undesirable areas with cheap rentals. Every place I've seen or lived in for under $1100 was all kinds of unacceptable.. dirty, not updated since Eisenhower was President, bad neighbors, scary neighborhoods.
The key is to stay away from the large apartment complexes run by corporations (easier said than done, but possible).

I also live in a studio, not a 1BR, and that makes a difference. I admit I am not like most Americans. I'm not obsessed with having lots of living space that I'll just fill up with useless stuff. Nor do I care that it's "updated" (although the bathroom is new, and I admit I hate the lack of electrical outlets...but you adapt). My studio feels plenty big to me, especially after seeing my sister's studio in Manhattan.

I've traveled and seen how middle class folks live in Latin America and the US feels like luxury by comparison. Even in Europe, people have less living space than Americans, and I personally think they're not any worse off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it depends on what you're used to as well. I grew up in Germany where EVERYTHING is expensive. Living in California is a piece of cake since the high prices don't surprise me as much. I see apartments renting for less than $700 in other parts of the country (sometimes WAAAY less than $700....) and it's mind boggling to me. Paying 8 or 900 for a 1 bedroom just seems normal...maybe I should just move out of the state for a bit.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. California home prices/rents are a rip off compared with the rest of America. But if you compare California to lots of other places in the world, rent/housing costs relative to peoples' incomes in CA is about the same or better than many places in the world.

Americans have more square feet of living space than anywhere else in the world (by far). Are we really any happier for it? I don't think so.

I wish there was less obsession with square footage and granite counter tops and more emphasis on quality construction.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,684,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Americans have more square feet of living space than anywhere else in the world (by far). Are we really any happier for it? I don't think so.

I wish there was less obsession with square footage and granite counter tops and more emphasis on quality construction.
Well said!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM

943 posts, read 1,315,385 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. California home prices/rents are a rip off compared with the rest of America. But if you compare California to lots of other places in the world, rent/housing costs relative to peoples' incomes in CA is about the same or better than many places in the world.

Yeah, I've been to London and Tokyo, it was a lot more expensive there. In London the prices are about double S.F. So it all depends on what you're comparing to.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM

37 posts, read 68,586 times
Is Texas better?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:24 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,816 times
Quote:
Americans have more square feet of living space than anywhere else in the world (by far).
Australia has recently overtaken us, and now builds the largest houses in the world on average.

Australia Builds World's Largest Homes As U.S. Dwellings Shrink (PHOTOS)

Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Yeah, I've been to London and Tokyo, it was a lot more expensive there. In London the prices are about double S.F. So it all depends on what you're comparing to.
U.K. homes have been steadily shrinking since the 1920s. They have the smallest homes in Europe on average now.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
U.K. homes have been steadily shrinking since the 1920s. They have the smallest homes in Europe on average now.
And still huge, ginormous, compared to my 70 square feet ...
what's up with this space thing people have? I dunno ...

Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And still huge, ginormous, compared to my 70 square feet ...
what's up with this space thing people have? I dunno ...
You profligate. That's 10 more sq. ft. than most prison cells.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:28 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You profligate. That's 10 more sq. ft. than most prison cells.
Yes. The comparison has been noted by others

And you are suffering insomnia ...
I was just awakened by more emergency phone calls ...
what's your excuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California