Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

For Calif, beyond the coastal regions, lies mostly undesirable land w/o jobs .. much of which i passed through on my trip out of Calif. To compare such places which still come w/ Calif.'s state income taxes and all the cons of taxation/regulation to other places outside Calif. is a joke.

That being said, throughout my cross country trip, I've observed a great deal of beauty all through America which only adds to my sentiment that there is beauty all over and is not just present in coastal Calif.
California owes it's mild climate to the prevailing winds that come over the ocean from the west. Only coastal California has the climate people dream of. The prevailing wind doesn't cool the interior.

If you can't live on the coast or perhaps in the mountains, and you have to live in some less-than-scenic HOT inland area, why even bother? As you said, you're getting all the downsides of high taxes with none of the benefits.

A lot of the inland people must be trapped there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
California owes it's mild climate to the prevailing winds that come over the ocean from the west. Only coastal California has the climate people dream of. The prevailing wind doesn't cool the interior.

If you can't live on the coast or perhaps in the mountains, and you have to live in some less-than-scenic HOT inland area, why even bother? As you said, you're getting all the downsides of high taxes with none of the benefits.

A lot of the inland people must be trapped there.
Exactly my points earlier. The majority of the world is actually ignorant to the true climate and weather conditions in California. They see some television and think of the Venice Beach as ALL of California. As you said, unless you live on the coast of California, the weather here is really horrible. Just like anywhere else. Its unbearably hot in the summer and shoot, live in Truckee in the winter. Its below zero with many, many feet of snow (I actually used to get into fights with people, when I was in the Marine Corps, stationed in North Carolina. No one believed it really snowed in California).

Now, lets discuss the "coast." Good weather is really restricted to Southern California. The coast in Ft Bragg, San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey, down to about San Luis Obispo is generally cold has heck; even in the summer. Remember: The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in California.

In these areas, they are generally covered in fog and clouds for most of the day. You MIGHT, even in the summer time, get the fog to lift at 1, or 2pm and have a few hours of direct sunlight, until the fog rolls back in. Of course, there are days where this doesn't occur, however it IS the exception and not the norm. Not too mention, these places are generally cool to cold. Even in the summer it can only reach 75 degrees. Moreover, the water of the Pacific Ocean is COLD. Have any of these: "I want to move to California for the weather people," put their feet in that ocean???? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....(Another side bar here: California is the THIRD highest spot for Great White Sharks; think about that race fans).

So, if you want the "California Dream," you are moving to Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Beach, etc and you are going to pay large sums of money to live there. No one says, "I'm moving to California to live the dream and I am moving to Bakersfield."

Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Exactly my points earlier. The majority of the world is actually ignorant to the true climate and weather conditions in California. They see some television and think of the Venice Beach as ALL of California. As you said, unless you live on the coast of California, the weather here is really horrible. Just like anywhere else. Its unbearably hot in the summer and shoot, live in Truckee in the winter. Its below zero with many, many feet of snow (I actually used to get into fights with people, when I was in the Marine Corps, stationed in North Carolina. No one believed it really snowed in California).

Now, lets discuss the "coast." Good weather is really restricted to Southern California. The coast in Ft Bragg, San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey, down to about San Luis Obispo is generally cold has heck; even in the summer. Remember: The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in California.

In these areas, they are generally covered in fog and clouds for most of the day. You MIGHT, even in the summer time, get the fog to lift at 1, or 2pm and have a few hours of direct sunlight, until the fog rolls back in. Of course, there are days where this doesn't occur, however it IS the exception and not the norm. Not too mention, these places are generally cool to cold. Even in the summer it can only reach 75 degrees. Moreover, the water of the Pacific Ocean is COLD. Have any of these: "I want to move to California for the weather people," put their feet in that ocean???? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr....(Another side bar here: California is the THIRD highest spot for Great White Sharks; think about that race fans).

So, if you want the "California Dream," you are moving to Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Beach, etc and you are going to pay large sums of money to live there. No one says, "I'm moving to California to live the dream and I am moving to Bakersfield."
I have a friend who wouldn't live anywhere else, but I happily moved inland after highschool, after living there before. I was in Huntington beach a mere quarter mile from the water. Starting about November, it would get just warm enough inland to start drawing in the costal fog. I remember walking to school in an absolute blackout of fog. Driving in it was worse,since you could usually only see the corner. If where you were going you turned right after five corners, then you hoped the count was right or you ended up in nomandsland.

A lot of people don't have AC, but you tend to run your heat longer and more often since its so damp with the costal humidity. And of course high tide in summer stranding all those litte creatures on the beach and the resulting smell later...

I loved the salty smell of the air and to be honest its one of the few places in Socal you can escape smog, but my parting with the coast was made perminent with a bad case of bronchitus which retrurned ever cold with the dampness. I guess the middle of the county is about as far inland as I can get, but that revered three miles or so from the coast is something not everyone comes to love.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Can't believe there are people who don't know it snows in CA.

Yeah, I know about the cold and fog of San Francisco. I'm a reader, so I gather lots of useless facts. I also know someone who recently moved from San Francisco to Oakland partly for the decrease in rent, and partly to get some SUN. They were becoming very depressed in the fog and cold after a few years there.

And then there's the uninformed tourists who go there in the summer with a wardrobe of shorts and freeze to death.

Oh the ocean. I grew up in Florida where the water is warm and now I live in the Appalachians. My business partner also partly grew up in Florida going to the beach. He ended up living all over and lived in Boston for a while. His first trip to the beach in MA was hilarious. He was so looking forward to jumping in the water and when he did, he screamed from the cold. No Gulf Stream near that coast!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I loved the salty smell of the air and to be honest its one of the few places in Socal you can escape smog, but my parting with the coast was made perminent with a bad case of bronchitus which retrurned ever cold with the dampness. I guess the middle of the county is about as far inland as I can get, but that revered three miles or so from the coast is something not everyone comes to love.
Now bronchitis would be a reason to move inland.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,045 times
Quote:

I like the weather in the Bay Area -- just outside of S.F. proper. Neither too hot, nor too cold, most of the time. And I'm outside of the fog bank.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Thanks!
It's still hella true, though.
Hella right! So expensive my wallet regularly needs oiling. Our credit cards need to be made out of kevlar to prevent breakage.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:

Yeppers! Many days were spent surfing Manhattan Beach in the morning and skiing Mountain High or Waterman in the afternoons. Like the song says "it never rains in California, it pours" There was decent snow all the way to July 4th last year. Did Mammoth ever thaw out in 2011?

Anywhere from about Point Dume to the north and San Diego to the south will be sunny and bright more than 300 days a year. Ocean temps... heh! One Summer day we treked to Monterey Bay to catch big surf and the water was 44 degrees with frozen ankle slappers. Even wearing full suits with taped seams wasn't enough to keep us from being sick when the frozen water swamped our suits. We quickly headed 250 miles south to Bird Rock (La Jolla) and caught a rare 6-8ft swell in 64 degree bare back off shore conditions. I never surfed north of Ventura county again (seriously!)

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,667 times
Default Moving From El Paso Texas to Bakersfield California

Looking To move in a family area that is safe and not to expensive in Bakersfield. The job Transfer will most likely be in Amtrak Station. I have 2 kids and what would be the ideal college to go their? My 12 year old kid would be in middle school and very active in baseball year round travel team is a plus. Just to get an idea what I am looking for. What type of weather ? Does it snow in Bakersfield? To be honest, I am very excited to moving out their as we have played baseball tournaments in San Diego, Chino Hills, and visited Dodger Stadium. Lots of positives and negatives but in every city be big or small have some type of issues. But overall California is going to get better....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California