Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:02 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times

Advertisements

IMO, if you're going to live in Baker, you might as well go live in Phoenix where there are jobs and things to do.

Man, I remember passing through Baker during a road trip in the summer. By far the hottest, dryest weather I had ever experienced. We stopped at a rest stop and took out some sandwiches we had packed to eat for lunch. I am not exaggerating when I say the bread basically turned to TOAST after a minute or two of being unwrapped. Even when it was up around 110 recently hear in the Inland Empire, I thought to myself "At least it's not like Baker!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
good eveing whowants2know<<< Your right there is a lot of Ca. bashing, people saying what they do or donot like about their particular area or state. what i don't see and I am realy looking for, is what did they do about their particular dislikes e.i. do they par take in any of the city councel meetings, county , government meetings regarding changes planned for their areas. did they join any civic groups to fight crime , fight drugs in our schools , fight gang activity. I gues what I am asking is did they take part in corecting any of their dislikes for their areas , OR did they complain and complain and when they found that someone else did not respond and correct their dislikes ,they moved to another area or STATE and start it all over again ? If that was the answer that any of the respondents give for their actions , maybe next time they get disenchanted with where they live , they will get involved and see as I did that YOU and YOUR actions can and DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERANCE

Last edited by Fighter 1; 09-17-2007 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
good luck on your move , as I try to tell everyone get involved in the goings on in your new home, don't just live there, you will see it makes a differance and you will be a part of the growth and the direction that your new town goes.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 09-17-2007 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM

31 posts, read 225,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
You're confusing me... You just posted that you lived out in Temecula and had to commute 90 minutes. However, from the post above, it sounds like you could afford to live much closer to work in a much better area without the commute... Which is it? If you could have afforded to live in the nicest area close to work, would you have liked California better?

For the record, I don't like Temecula either and I would never live there unless I had a job close by -- but all of California isn't Temecula. Imagine if you had a job up near Eureka or Lake Tahoe or Napa Valley... It would be completely different from living in Temecula.
Again, just because I have the money doesn't mean I should spend it which is what I posted previously. Sure, I had a few nice cars but I didn't have all of the income in the world to pay for some home in Down Town San Diego. And even if I did had the money - what a crap investment (at least in my point of view)! Not only did house prices fall recently but I just could not see myself paying close to 1 million for some stucco track house on a lot the size of my parking space at work.

Also, San Diego is completely bankrupt without any major police presence and the drivers have a total lack of respect for others around them on the freeway or on the inner-city roads. I could go on and on and on.....

So again, if I could have afforded to live in the nicest area close to work I would not of wanted to stay.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
Their is so much to be Thankful for in being Americans and living in this Great State and Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I also want to add, we are all very lucky to be in AMERICA where people get such a DIVERSE choice of where we want to live. In most countries you do not have the luxury of simply moving to an entirely different region and climate on a relative whim. We have our choice of everything from a Mediterranean Climate, Tropical Climate, sub-arctic climate, temperate forests, sweeping plains, big cities, small cities, in-betwen cities, etc etc. We are truly blessed to have so many places we can choose from to raise our families and freely live our lives.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
Hi Ben,I totally agree with you,that people should get involved in making improvements wherever they live.

I live in California and I don't want to flee,but rather remain here and put an effort in making improvements,even though my efforts may only be a drop in the bucket,but at least that small drop has made a difference

California is a Very Precious State to give up hope on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Screwed View Post
good eveing whowants2know<<< Your right there is a lot of Ca. bashing, people saying what they do or donot like about their particular area or state. what i don't see and I am realy looking for, is what did they do about their particular dislikes e.i. do they par take in any of the city councel meetings, county , government meetings regarding changes planned for their areas. did they join any civic groups to fight crime , fight drugs in our schools , fight gang activity. I gues what I am asking is did they take part in corecting any of their dislikes for their areas , OR did they complain and complain and when they found that someone else did not respond and correct their dislikes ,they moved to another area or STATE and start it all over again ? If that was the answer that any of the respondents give for their actions , maybe next time they get disenchanted with where they live , they will get involved and see as I did that YOU and YOUR actions can and DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERANCE

Old 09-27-2007, 12:23 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
In general, I think California tends to generate strong reactions because the advantages of living here are great....but so are the disadvantages. So it kinds of creates a love / hate relationship.

The good things: great weather, diverse people, beautiful scenery

The bad things: lousy schools, tons of poor people from the 3rd world, ridiculously high housing costs, lousy state government

In general, if you are really loaded, this is a great place live. If you're upper middle class, it still might be worth it. If you're middle class but don't have or want kids, it still might be worth it. If you're middle income and have or want kids....forget it...it's just too stressful.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 PM

168 posts, read 637,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
California is a Very Precious State to give up hope on.
I agree totally with this statement. You can talk about reasons to leave all day long, but spend a few years away, and no matter what reason you left, you will find reasons why you wish you were back, especially if you have the money to move around to a better spot than the one you left.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
On my end here, though I talk a lot about either moving back home to Calif, or moving on, to WI or OK (I have friends and/or family in those two areas) and people I know only tell me the negative about all those places. Not like Im not aware of tornadoes or earthquakes, so what! Every state you live is going to have its weather issues...what makes the desert furnaces of Az so different, when its only 'cool' a few months out of the year?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
we all read ongoing debates about CA. It's too expensive, it's too crowded, there is too much crime...etc., etc., etc. I grew up in SoCal and loved it...but for whatever personal reasons, we left in '94. I don't hate CA and never will. I just don't understand why people have to "knock" CA or any other state. I guess I'm just not a natural complainer and don't believe in putting down anyone, or anyone's choice of where they live.

Yes, housing is expensive in CA...so? It has been that way for a long time and will continue to be that way for a long time. Crowded? Sure, but so are other places in the country. Crime? Yes, there is crime, as there are in other places.

We can all find something wrong with living any place on the planet.

I just don't see the need to tell anyone that the place they choose to live is a lousy place to live. Where we live is a personal choice and is no one else's business.

CA has MUCH to offer, as well as every other state. There are pros and cons for living anywhere.

I happen to enjoy where we're living now...NE sector of KS. It has it's good points and bad points. But, it is where we chose to live and that pretty much says it all.
For the most part people are giving a honest answer to a honest question about California and sometimes the truth hurts,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California