Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 AM

11 posts, read 24,056 times

Advertisements

I will be finishing college in about a year and a half and would like to live in California. I am quite aware of the hardships, taxes, crime, traffic, etc. but if I can get a decent job I would like to try it for at least a year.

I'm in IT and have some corporate experience already so I think I could realistically make anywhere from 30-45k, plus I'll have about 15-20k in the bank, and a car already... open to college towns (school again?!?)

Is it even possible? Would I be able to afford a decent apartment (1 bed of course!) in a somewhat safe area? Busy/non-busy doesn't matter too much to me, I live in CT where there's a blend of both, and I'm in NYC every once in a while to catch the Yankees.

I've been told that Orange County, San Diego, San Jose and the Inland Empire are the most realistic job/cost of living places. What do you think? I would definitely take some road trips so I'm not dead-set on NorCal or SoCal specifically.

Thanks,

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM

7,372 posts, read 15,976,804 times
Arizona would be a lot more feasible with that salary unless you're looking to move to an inland city in CA.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,265,527 times
I think you answered your own question. Hop on a plane and fly here. See what is what; what you THINK you can afford, vs what is really here. What type of job can you really get? Not what you think. Drive around the neighborhoods and see the people, the housing, the community. Make sure its something you want.

I've never looked myself, however, when I was in Poland, they had "American Nights" in many of their larger cities: Warsaw, Krakow, etc. It was a night, where American's met, along with Poles, and we spend HOURS talking about thing. I still email several people from Poland, I met on these nights.

If possible, see if there is something like this. Some sort of a support group, where you can meet others, who have moved here, from other states, and can help you through the BS.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,541,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Arizona would be a lot more feasible with that salary unless you're looking to move to an inland city in CA.
You CAN live in LA on $35k+, especially without a car payment. Its doable, but you're not going to be living it up.

With $35k in phx, you could do a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California