Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,339 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating to California next fall. I'm a special education teacher, single mom, 2 kids, one will be in middle school, the other will be in elementary school. I have family that lives in Orange County, and am planning on putting in applications there, but am curious as to other's thoughts on some of the other counties, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Riverside and San Bernardino. Are there areas that I should avoid? I've also thought about NoCal, since I have family in the Napa area as well, but really don't know a lot about any of the counties there. I don't mind living a little inland. I'd like to be close to the coast, (doesn't everyone!!) but i don't mind going an hour or so inland to find a good match for myself and my kids....just not so far inland that we're in the desert!! Main concerns for me are good schools to work in, good schools for my children to attend,and finding 2 or 3 bedroom apartments for under $1700/month. I plan on staying with my parents for a few months in Orange county this summer so I can apartment hunt, job hunt, and scout out some neighborhoods, but any advice I can get for a starting point would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
I don't mean this rude by any means .... but you should avoid any areas with 2-3 bedroom apartments for $1700/month. And you certainly will not want to put your kids in school in these areas.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM

106 posts, read 273,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I don't mean this rude by any means .... but you should avoid any areas with 2-3 bedroom apartments for $1700/month. And you certainly will not want to put your kids in school in these areas.
2 bedrooms for $1700 is not always going to land you in a bad area.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Maybe I was being a bit overly cynical ... but 2 bedrooms maybe, 3 is tough on that budget. San Bernardino County maybe.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM

106 posts, read 273,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Maybe I was being a bit overly cynical ... but 2 bedrooms maybe, 3 is tough on that budget. San Bernardino County maybe.
True

Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbug View Post
I am planning on relocating to California next fall. I'm a special education teacher, single mom, 2 kids, one will be in middle school, the other will be in elementary school. I have family that lives in Orange County, and am planning on putting in applications there, but am curious as to other's thoughts on some of the other counties, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Riverside and San Bernardino. Are there areas that I should avoid? I've also thought about NoCal, since I have family in the Napa area as well, but really don't know a lot about any of the counties there. I don't mind living a little inland. I'd like to be close to the coast, (doesn't everyone!!) but i don't mind going an hour or so inland to find a good match for myself and my kids....just not so far inland that we're in the desert!! Main concerns for me are good schools to work in, good schools for my children to attend,and finding 2 or 3 bedroom apartments for under $1700/month. I plan on staying with my parents for a few months in Orange county this summer so I can apartment hunt, job hunt, and scout out some neighborhoods, but any advice I can get for a starting point would be great!
Good luck finding that match in Orange County. For you I would suggest the inland empire. Just not San Bernardino. I would suggest looking into either Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario. VERY nice and family friendly cities. Affordable for CA prices and overall higher quality of living than LA and less snooty attitudes of the OC.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Good luck finding that match in Orange County. For you I would suggest the inland empire. Just not San Bernardino. I would suggest
looking into either Rancho Cucamonga or Ontario. VERY nice and family friendly cities. Affordable for CA prices and overall higher quality of living than LA and less snooty attitudes of the OC.
Yeah .. maybe Redlands, if you don't ming being 80 miles inland. You should be able to get a 3 bedroom in that range, and decent schools.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 10,339 times
I realize that 1700 isn't a whole lot to work with...but I'm hoping if I spend some time looking I'll be able to find a good match. We lived in a 2 bedroom in San Diego in a nice area for 1700 a month a few years ago, so I'm hoping by being willing to look inland we might be able to squeeze a 3 bedroom out of that amount, and still be in an area where I can go for a walk at night. I don't mind being inland (I'm 12 hours from the nearest coast where I live now!! So 80 miles would be a huge improvement!!) like I said, I just don't want to be out in the desert, and really want to be closer to my family!! I'll look more into the areas around San Bernardino, I think my mom mentioned Rancho Cucamongo, and I'll check out the Redlands and Ontario as well...Thanks for the input...My mom tends to make some unrealistic suggestions, so I like to get second opinions

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200rt View Post
yeah .. Maybe redlands, if you don't ming being 80 miles inland.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm exactly 80 miles from my house in Santa Monica to U of R where I went to school.... 62 is probably from DTLA? Regardless, I would pick Redlands over Rancho or SB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California