Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

I was just playing around with some of the counties rates in July. Awful, LA County, over 13%. San Diego, 11%, Sacramento, about 13% and Riverside/San Bernadino, combined average of about 15%....wow.
I LOVE the state and hope to live there again some day (I have before, but for short stays of not even 5 months combined)....
but stats like these are really discouraging and probably won't significantly change for years.....
What happened?
If you say "liberal policies"....well, at least have some thought and be specific. I often hear cons rip CA and praise TX, due to "conservatism"....
you can have TX (most of it anyway)........too redneck for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Easy. People need to save more when times are good and spend more when times are bad but they don't do it. Right now I'd put a steeply progressive tax on wealth and higher incomes, forcing more money into consumption. I'd also jack up the money supply causing a healthy dose of inflation to lift wages and raise the value of homes above what's owed on them so people can sell and move where jobs are more available. We're stuck and nobody has the cojones to try the bold but unpopular things that would be required to get us unstuck. The rich whine about such measures but they would work. Sorry, but I'm not willing to let people die in the streets to maintain some crazy free market moralistic philosophy.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
I believe the preference for foreign labor is what contributed mightily to the high unemployment, not only in CA, but across the country.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:45 PM

253 posts, read 349,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Easy. People need to save more when times are good and spend more when times are bad but they don't do it. Right now I'd put a steeply progressive tax on wealth and higher incomes, forcing more money into consumption. I'd also jack up the money supply causing a healthy dose of inflation to lift wages and raise the value of homes above what's owed on them so people can sell and move where jobs are more available. We're stuck and nobody has the cojones to try the bold but unpopular things that would be required to get us unstuck. The rich whine about such measures but they would work. Sorry, but I'm not willing to let people die in the streets to maintain some crazy free market moralistic philosophy.

hmmm.

"steeply progressive tax on wealth"...
...and drive more productive people and companies to other states and countries?

"forcing more money into consumption"...
...can this really be done? I'd love examples...

"causing a healthy dose of inflation to lift wages and raise the value of homes"...
...devalue the "green back" and drive more international finance away, reducing even more the importance of the US, while not truly changing the buying power of individuals, or the value of their homes... just making the numbers bigger?

"they would work"...
...like Argentina from 1976 to 1985, Bolivia 1984 to 1986, Chile 1971 to 1973, Georgia from 1984 to 1985, Peru from 1988 to 1990, Poland from 1989 to 1991...

"some crazy free market moralistic philosophy"...
...like the system that allowed the United States to amass phenomenal wealth in an incredibly short period of time... the system that allows you to live in, relative to most of the world, incredible wealth and prosperity, complaining?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM

437 posts, read 811,170 times
first get rid of the clown Hollywood actor Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Governor .. He doesn't know how to run the state !! he care too much about environment .. for god sakes !! create jobs for Cali !!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
A lot of people in California create their own jobs.

You can't really blame what is going on now on "liberal" policies. We've had 8 years of Republican governor.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM

66 posts, read 162,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I was just playing around with some of the counties rates in July. Awful, LA County, over 13%. San Diego, 11%, Sacramento, about 13% and Riverside/San Bernadino, combined average of about 15%....wow.
I LOVE the state and hope to live there again some day (I have before, but for short stays of not even 5 months combined)....
but stats like these are really discouraging and probably won't significantly change for years.....
What happened?
If you say "liberal policies"....well, at least have some thought and be specific. I often hear cons rip CA and praise TX, due to "conservatism"....
you can have TX (most of it anyway)........too redneck for me..
Seems like you are asking a question that you already know the answer to. For a more detailed answer, My advice is to do the following two things:

1) Go to your library and checkout, Economics in One Lesson:The Shortest and Surest way to Understand Basic Economics by Henry Hazlitt
Amazon.com: Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics (9780517548233): Henry Hazlitt: Books

2) Read the following report: Competitive States Texas vs. California 2010
http://www.texaspolicy.com/pdf/2010-...atesTXvsCA.pdf

The report has some easy to understand graphs and side by side comparisons

Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
California doesn't want to be Texas!

I had a friend who was an ultra-Republican Texan. He bragged about the state up and down. Guess what? He died of leukemia at 60, probably because of all that pollution Texas seems proud to have.

If Texas wants unregulated polluting businesses, I say let them have them. Ruin their water supply. I don't care. Texas is picking these companies. They value business over everything else. That's a surefire recipe for disaster.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Really depends on where. Some places don't have high uynemployment at all. Some sectors don't have high unemployment at all.

Latest Orange County Unemployment Numbers, sorted by lowest unemployment:

city rate

Foothill Ranch CDP 3.2%

Coto de Caza CDP 4.2%
Las Flores CDP 4.7%

Aliso Viejo CDP 5.1%
Portola Hills CDP 5.3%
Los Alamitos city 5.4%
Villa Park city 5.6%

Rossmoor CDP 6.0%
Newport Beach city 6.1%
Rancho Santa Margarita city 6.2%
Tustin Foothills CDP 6.2%
Yorba Linda city 6.4%
Brea city 6.6%
Lake Forest city 6.7%

Dana Point city 7.0%
Mission Viejo city 7.0%
Laguna Beach city 7.1%
Seal Beach city 7.1%
Irvine city 7.3%
Laguna Niguel city 7.5%
San Clemente city 7.8%
Huntington Beach city 7.9%

Fountain Valley city 8.0%
Laguna Hills city 8.2%
San Juan Capistrano city 8.5%
Costa Mesa city 8.6%
Placentia city 8.6%
Orange city 8.9%

Tustin city 9.5%

Cypress city 10.2%
La Palma city 10.7%
Westminster city 10.7%
Fullerton city 10.8%
La Habra city 10.8%

Buena Park city 12.0%
Garden Grove city 12.0%
Anaheim city 12.3%

Laguna Woods city 13.1%

Santa Ana city 15.1%
Stanton city 15.3%

From

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/oransub.xls

Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
hmmm.

Think about it a bit. I understand it goes beyond most peoples' comfort zones but it may be the only measures standing between us and significant political and social instability. Perhaps you'd prefer to read to them from The Wealth of Nations as the starving mob ransacks your neighborhood.

These would have to be done at the Federal level so would not cause anyone to move out of state, and it's highly unlikely many individuals will move overseas. That's just too big a hurdle for most folks plus they would not be able to work legally in most other countries. Devaluing the currency would boost exports, reduce the amount of cheap chinese junk we buy, and increase the amount of goods produced domestically. Rising home values would reduce foreclosures and short sales. To keep corporations in the country we could reduce or eliminate the corporate income tax which is just passed along to consumers anyway.

I will admit that lenders would get screwed royally under my plan.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 10-13-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California