Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times

Advertisements

(4) Slaves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
(4) Slaves

Is that what you call them?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
(3) If you can own 3 properties in ANY city, which 3 would they be?

I would own the new World Trade Center when completed.

I would own the Cowboy's Stadium. I would have constructed it in Downtown Oakland, CA.

I would own San Diego Sea World. I would have constructed it in the Jack London Square District in Oakland, CA
On that last one there....
I'd dig up Jack, mount a saddle on Shamu, make sure Jack is secured on Shamu's back with some tough baling wire, strap a Stetson on top of his cranium and let have it!
Now, that's entertainment! Bound to please both kids and adults alike.

It's a good way to teach kids about literature.

Last edited by Snort; 10-18-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Reason for Editing? Because I forgot something.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Uh...let's see...people who aren't greedy? People who don't worship Mammon? People who do not want to consume more than their fair share of resources? People who are wise enough to know that moderation brings more happiness than excess? People who don't live out most of their lives cooped up indoors? I could go on, but I think that's good enough for a start.

Books like The-Not-So-Big-House wouldn't be bestsellers if McMansions made people happy.

And how many square miles would the Bay Area have to cover if every family were to have a huge off-the-grid house?
Funny how many people that I know that don't have much use the word greedy. A young mother will say to her kids, don't be greedy. My sister in law uses that phrase all the time and she works for less than $10 an hour and has housing assitance. She thinks I am greedy because I have an airplane, boat, Porsche, and live a nice lifestyle. Those toys are also paid off and owned by me outright. Lucky me. Funny how she doesn't say no to getting a ride in the plane or going out with us on the boat.

I like to teach my kids to accomplish all you can so that you can have the kind of life you desire. Maybe my 6 year old son is greedy when he tells me that he will live in a 3 story 6,000 square foot home on the beach, drive a Ferrari, and have a job as the boss. Is that being greedy? I see that as being ambitious. Those that accomplish what they set out to do are not greedy but what I like to call achievers. Nothing wrong with that. The good thing is that their is plenty of room for those that achieve. We would never build a state full of excess because so many people don't want to do what it takes to achive it.

What you may not understand is that it isn't the trappings of success that make a person happy. It is accomplishing something that makes them happy. The trappings of success are a result of the achivement. a person can be just as easily happy in a small home as a large home. I know of several people that have achived success that are quite happy in smaller homes. Still they could if they chose to, buy a larger place.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
A 10 acre horse property next door to work. Or alternately, a 10 acre horse property with 100 acres of productive vineyard.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Today ..... I wish I owned an umbrella.

Ok, I know, I know ... what is an "umbrella", you ask?

It's one of those dome-shaped thingies that retract and pop up to shield you from the rain.

What is "rain"???

It's that stuff dropping all over us from out of the blue, today.

Yeah, I know, I'm wondering the same thng: "Do they still make umbrellas?" And of so, "do they sell them in California?"

Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 PM

434 posts, read 849,031 times
I want to own a narrow strip of land on the border with Mexico. I'd then ask for volunteers to build a double fence. And more volunteers to stand guard 24 hours a day on the fence. I'll bet I'd have no trouble getting plenty of donated materials and labor. Wouldn't take a dime of government money to do it. Except I'd need an army of lawyers to fight all the groups who would sue to stop me (environmentalists, Hispanic rights groups, the US government, etc, etc).

Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default If You Could Own Something... What Would It Be?

Short answer: my soul! That's why I don't belong to a political party.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM

27 posts, read 76,843 times
Geez, I didn't mean to start a debate. Lol!

I just meant that I'd want a house that was over 2,000 sq feet, but also eco-friendly and built with non-toxic materials. I'd want it to be decked out with water filters, air purifiers, etc.

I didn't mean it to be a political statement or a controversial idea...it's just a dream of mine.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
(1) If you can own 3 properties in your city, which 3 would they be?

And Or

(2) If you can own a city, which city would you own?

And Or

(3) If you can own 3 properties in ANY city, which 3 would they be?

And Or

(4) If you can own something of great value, what would it be?

(1). I'm pretty simple. three properties in Los Osos? It'd be a home on the bay, a home on top of Cabrillo Estates, and a home in the area of Los Osos which has the acre lots.

(2) Los Osos

(3) A ranch outside Templeton, a home in Oak Shores (near Paso Robles) that sits on Lake Nacimiento, and a vacation home somewhere in the Sierras.

(4) A 4x4 van conversion, and I'm serious. I'm a simple man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California