Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

19 posts, read 42,647 times

Advertisements

Its a beautiful place to live but it is hard for middle income families. Employment is hard to come by, the private sector is small. Shopping is limited but not terrible. We do have a Target opening soon, we have a costco ect..
We are cheaper than Santa Barbara by about 30% but in my opinion SB is far more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,508 times
Default Nightlife in SLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Is there an active nightlife with fun bars in SLO? I know it's a college town, so there must be something? Preferably something for late 20's/early 30's crowd.
There aren't really any fun bars that don't cater to the college crowd in San Luis. Sure, there are definitely people in their late 20s, early 30s at some of the "college" bars: Bulls, Marston's, Mother's, Library, etc., but the majority is college students. I'd imagine most of us in late 20s/early 30s are ready to move on from that scene
For that age group, it's more about going to some of the nicer restaurants. Having wine/cocktails/apps, and then maybe hitting up another place for dessert and more wine (hey, it's San Luis!). I recommend Blue, Palazzo Giuseppe's, Luna Red, and Novo. There is a new place that opened over in Railroad Square called Meze that is fantastic, and packed with that demographic.
Cielo Cantina (formerly Native, formerly Mission Grill) and Creeky Tiki try to target that age group, and I see a lot of Cal Poly grads there who are not into the crazy party scene, but also not quite settled down/fine with just wine/cocktails at a nicer restaurant, if that makes sense.
You'll find a mixed bag at McCarthy's Irish Pub, from the wasted 21 year old taking a Jameson shot to the 50 year old guy fresh off work, enjoying a pint. It's always struck me as a place for serious drinkers.
It just keeps getting better here, so I expect to have even more options (especially along the wine bar/bistro line) coming soon!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM

193 posts, read 434,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobarbie View Post
Its a beautiful place to live but it is hard for middle income families. Employment is hard to come by, the private sector is small.
This is what drove me to move from SLO after college. I wanted to stay but there were very few jobs in my field and they did not pay much. I'm still dying to go back but I don't know how we would make a living.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
This is what drove me to move from SLO after college. I wanted to stay but there were very few jobs in my field and they did not pay much. I'm still dying to go back but I don't know how we would make a living.
Me too! I would love to be back in SLO. But I dont see any way to make a pension work there and still have some quality of life.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Me too! I would love to be back in SLO. But I dont see any way to make a pension work there and still have some quality of life.
What type of quality of life do you need?

I'm from Templeton, and I would say I live in an middle income area. And live in a life of no complaints and no wants. Anything in life my parents couldnt afford for me I earned by working in high school.

Some people in SLO county have money to have high end homes, cars, have the nicest clothes, wine taste at wineries, and eat the finest foods. But thats a slight portion of people who are lawayers, doctors, professors, and white collar jobs that master degrees.

The middle class I know are living in smaller homes and saving their money more in SLO. They still drive middle class cars like Hondas and Toyotas. And they still do all their shopping at the discount chain stores of America.

Anyways, my list of reasons of why I like SLO:
-Lots of hiking trails (Bishop's Peak, Madonna Mountain, etc...)
-Walkable and historic downtown with bars, restauraunts, shops, theaters, coffee shops, and gov. jobs
-Organic grocery markets (Trader Joes, Fresh N Easy, New Frontiers)
-Warehouse Club (Costco) and department stores (Sear's, Kohl's, Forever 21, and coming soon Macy's)
-Asian market (SLO Oriental Market) and Asian restaurants (sushi places and Golden Gong Restaurant)
-No Wal-Mart (so local businesses can succeed)
-45,116 population (enough people to see diversity such as different faiths, ethnicities, and cultures)

Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM

23 posts, read 35,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have heard of alternative realities, hadn't actually seen one in action, except under the influence of certains substances. It is hard to accept a post that is so at odds with what everyone else thinks about the community, even Jenny McCarthy and Oprah.
LOL you think i'm on drugs? I haven't touched a drug in 8 years.

I guess you'd rather listen to some celebrities than someone who grew up in the area.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
That's one reason why i moved and will never look back.

Retired with a lot of cash? working for the college or prison? going to school? ok, go ahead and live in San Luis Obispo.

Otherwise it's probably not for you unless you are REALLY LUCKY to land one of the few decent jobs available. Employers were insanely picky before the recession hit. I cannot imagine how picky they are now.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman51 View Post
Other than the cost of housing whats not to like about SLO? Mountains,ocean,ideal weather.Farmers market and a great downtown.Plus they have JET JOCKEY!
1. Lack of jobs.

2. Demographic - great if you are in college or are retiree age, otherwise you belong in an outlying city because SLO is not for the working class.

3. One of the highest sales taxes in the nation ( it was a little over 9% before i moved )

4. The cops and highway patrol are there to make money and not police, and will not forgive the smallest infraction.

5. Typical California attitude where if you aren't middle or upper class, you are a loser.

6. Mountains are brown the rest of the year as soon as spring is over. And a lot of those mountains are private property.

7. I mentioned this before but employers are extremely picky and pay low because they know they can exploit local college students who mostly have silver spoons in their mouths and don't have to make living wage ( am speaking more of Cal Poly students here. ).

8. Lack of culture - SLO was a bohemian place back in the day, with tons of interesting local businesses... now it's any ordinary corporate-capitalist Californian city with a few cute local businesses thrown in there to "keep the city's character".. the bohemian element has left for greener pastures - Portland, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, and eastward.

9. Wear earplugs during summer because the college kids party with their windows open and if the cops do respond to a noise complaint, it will take them well over an hour to do so.

10. If you have allergies, this place may be a big problem for you. The city has planted a lot of male trees in the area to keep the maintenance bill down. Most people don't have issues but it was one of the reasons i left.

11. Predominance of white, Christian/Mormon and conservative attitude amongst anyone outside of college and retirement age. Maybe that's a plus to you, but it wasn't to me.

12. Difficult to drive through the city. Insane amount of stoplights per capita! I worked as a computer technician around town and it made life hell for me. They keep putting in more stoplights even though the population hasn't really increased. Great to get around as a bicyclist, but not as a car.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Yeah, it's a hard life in SLO....

Old 09-17-2011, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,478 times
If you are a rich retiree, then San Luis Obispo is very nice.

If you are the average young person with goals, hopes, and dreams in life then you get out of there as quickly as possible. If you do not work for the government or work for yourself, then get used to making $9.50 an hour or digging ditches in construction.

It is beautiful there, but beauty does not pay the bills of a college graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California