Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,913,572 times

Advertisements

This interesting survey just in (from LA Times). Overwhelming support for legals and illegals across the board.

Disclaimer: I am neither supporting nor condemning the conclusions of the survey ... my personal fascination lies with the apparent contradiction of this survey's results and the overwhelming anti-immigrant expressions I read on this California Forum (and other C-D Forums) ... indicating to me, once again, that this Forum does not reflect the State in many issues. I continue to wonder why the C-D Forum attracts more conservative commentary than liberal. This apparent reality says something about both conservatives and liberals -- but I can't quite put my finger on the "what" button?

Californians hold positive views of immigrants; most oppose deportation - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by nullgeo; 10-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Surveys are very interesting in that they can give an answer based on how a question is worded. For example do I hold positive views of Immigrants? Sure, I am from a family of immigrants. That is what made this nation great. Do I support those that break the law and get here illegally? NO I do not. Many in the liberal media want to get rid of the word "illegal" when talking about those that break the law to get here. They would have you belive that they are just missing their papers. I don't know maybe the dog ate them. What do you think happened to those papers that they are missing?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Surveys are very interesting in that they can give an answer based on how a question is worded. For example do I hold positive views of Immigrants? Sure, I am from a family of immigrants. That is what made this nation great. Do I support those that break the law and get here illegally? NO I do not. Many in the liberal media want to get rid of the word "illegal" when talking about those that break the law to get here. They would have you belive that they are just missing their papers. I don't know maybe the dog ate them. What do you think happened to those papers that they are missing?
Ah! ... well, your response would indicate a conservative view, I'd say ... and, without me passing any judgment on your point of view, let me say your response is, in any event, exactly a case in point of what intrigues me: first comment on the survey on this C-D California Forum is conservative ... yet the State at large apparently holds an overwhelming liberal position. Note that the survey reports strongly favorable majority support for illegals, as well as legal immigrants.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,405,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah! ... well, your response would indicate a conservative view, I'd say ... and, without me passing any judgment on your point of view, let me say your response is, in any event, exactly a case in point of what intrigues me: first comment on the survey on this C-D California Forum is conservative ... yet the State at large apparently holds an overwhelming liberal position. Note that the survey reports strongly favorable majority support for illegals, as well as legal immigrants.
In many ways California is a paradox. I think the mere diversity of peoples, ethic groups, minority majority situation strongly influences overall opinion. If California were as White\ Anglo-Saxon\ Protestant as many Midwestern states the opinion would likely result in an opposite outcome.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,187,467 times
I represent the liberal viewpoint and I agree with the survey.

People seem to somehow forget that we have illegals from countries all over the world. Some of the illegals are NOT poor. Some of them come from countries we have a quota with and they cannot easily become legal so they stay here illegally. The NYT ran a story about a year ago about a couple from the UK who moved to Maine, bought a restaurant and a house, and then their Visa ran out. I don't know what happened to them but it would have been really easy to just overstay their Visa.

Anyway, I believe California is richer in culture and diversity because we have so many immigrants.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
In many ways California is a paradox. I think the mere diversity of peoples, ethic groups, minority majority situation strongly influences overall opinion. If California were as White\ Anglo-Saxon\ Protestant as many Midwestern states the opinion would likely result in an opposite outcome.
Yes and no. I think it's more of a local cultural thing that racial. New England is predominantly white but is quite liberal. Washington too is mostly white and is very liberal. Illegal immigrants are in Washington too. I think the midwest and south just have a different mindset; you know, not quite in this century sort of thing?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I represent the liberal viewpoint and I agree with the survey.

People seem to somehow forget that we have illegals from countries all over the world. Some of the illegals are NOT poor. Some of them come from countries we have a quota with and they cannot easily become legal so they stay here illegally. The NYT ran a story about a year ago about a couple from the UK who moved to Maine, bought a restaurant and a house, and then their Visa ran out. I don't know what happened to them but it would have been really easy to just overstay their Visa.

Anyway, I believe California is richer in culture and diversity because we have so many immigrants.
Another excellent point and your last sentence is probably a big reason why immigrants, legal or not, are supported by most out here.

Latinos are often thought of when the phrase illegal immigration is spoken. However LA and SF both have a lot of illegals from Asian countries, Chinese illegals are especially prevalent in the Bay Area.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,366,879 times
I really doubt the findings reflect the majority, I find Illegal to be just that and support deportation, I know very few people in real life that feel any differently.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The state is neither overwhelmingly liberal or conservative. What we have is both parties are in the 40% + range with a lot of additional people in smaller parties or that vote across lines

What does it matter if an illegal comes from Latin America, China, Canada, or anywhere else? For those that break the law they need to be deported. Why is it so hard to understand? Kind of a slap in the face to those people who did it the right way don't you think?

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 10-25-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I really doubt the findings reflect the majority, I find Illegal to be just that and support deportation, I know very few people in real life that feel any differently.
Hmm ... Well, I am curious as to why you doubt the survey reflects the majority in the face of the reporting. Do you say this simply because it is not your own, personal, empirical experience: "I know very few people in real life that feel any differently ...", or because you have other evidence to support your feeling? Question -- not argument here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California