Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times

Advertisements

If Quay Valley Ranch is built,I can guarantee you that it won't have a problem in attracting 150,000 people.

The Valley Rush is not over,but were just experiencing a Temporary Slowdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWJamesLDS View Post
How are they going to draw in 150,000 people? even over 40 years. The current valley rush is over. There are for sale signs and for rent signs all over every neighborhood Visalia, Fresno, Bakersfield. Also, with all the newsness and convience, how are they going to keep the homes within the reach of the average Valley worker? Lastly, gangs and crime is running rampant in the area, cities with much larger budgets can't keep a hold of it, how would this new city.

All and all, if they could bring some of the perks of the OC, without a bunch of rich snooty people and keep hold of some of the life in the valley that makes it unique, while keeping out the crime and rifraf it would be an amazing place. However, I think keeping one, cancels out the other. How about instead of building this fantasy city, whe just have then dump all the money into Bakersfield, Visalia and Fresno!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 49,072 times
I would have to say this does not sound like a very well thought out project at this point and does not sound feasible.
There is a racetrack less than 10 miles from this proposed site operated by Sports Car Club of America known as Buttonwillow Raceway Park.

150,000 people- where is it that these people are supposed to work? race tracks are not labor intensive. On the average day Buttonwillow has less than 10 staff members there. River and waterski lake? with what water? The central valley already has water problems and Buttonwillow had to beg, borrow and steal to get the minimum usage water rights they have and they have no on track or near track housing.

The closest community that might provide employment would be Paso Robles or Bakersfield. Both are over 40 minutes away on a good day.

A master planned community dumped in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound feasible or like a good idea.
I'm aware of the planning problems that Buttonwillow Raceway Park had at the time it was being planned and built as I worked for SCCA Cal Club at that time. I would say there is little to no chance that this will be built in my lifetime and I still have a lot of life ahead of me.

Would I move there if it was built? The last race I raced at Buttonwillow it was 106 in the shade. The first race of the year was 34 degrees and fog so thick you couldn't see the turns for the first part of the morning. I think I'll pass.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
There is a master planned community just west of Quay Valley, it was a complete failure, California Valley. TopoZone - USGS SIMMLER (CA) Topo Map

Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 79,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisone View Post
I would have to say this does not sound like a very well thought out project at this point and does not sound feasible.
There is a racetrack less than 10 miles from this proposed site operated by Sports Car Club of America known as Buttonwillow Raceway Park.

150,000 people- where is it that these people are supposed to work? race tracks are not labor intensive. On the average day Buttonwillow has less than 10 staff members there. River and waterski lake? with what water? The central valley already has water problems and Buttonwillow had to beg, borrow and steal to get the minimum usage water rights they have and they have no on track or near track housing.

The closest community that might provide employment would be Paso Robles or Bakersfield. Both are over 40 minutes away on a good day.

A master planned community dumped in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound feasible or like a good idea.
I'm aware of the planning problems that Buttonwillow Raceway Park had at the time it was being planned and built as I worked for SCCA Cal Club at that time. I would say there is little to no chance that this will be built in my lifetime and I still have a lot of life ahead of me.

Would I move there if it was built? The last race I raced at Buttonwillow it was 106 in the shade. The first race of the year was 34 degrees and fog so thick you couldn't see the turns for the first part of the morning. I think I'll pass.

I somewhat agree with you, race track is not going to employ many people, but your forgetting; entertainment, schools, government, commercial, offices, distribution centers,retail, plants, and so many other businesses which are going to built in Quay Valley...they will also provide jobs, which hopefully will be high-paying jobs. Water was an issue, but as stated in the developers information, water will be recycled, and they (developer) have already have a contract with a local farm to borrow water. Quay valley wants to be different than any other California city, and its uniqueness will attract many companies and people.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
I agree with you...Considering how large this project will be,it will most definately attract a diversity of Jobs in, Schools, Government, Commercial, Offices, Distribution Centers,Retail, Plants,Dining,Entertainment and many other Jobs will be created in or near Quay Valley.

It's like creating a New Mid-Sized City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralcali19 View Post
I somewhat agree with you, race track is not going to employ many people, but your forgetting; entertainment, schools, government, commercial, offices, distribution centers,retail, plants, and so many other businesses which are going to built in Quay Valley...they will also provide jobs, which hopefully will be high-paying jobs. Water was an issue, but as stated in the developers information, water will be recycled, and they (developer) have already have a contract with a local farm to borrow water. Quay valley wants to be different than any other California city, and its uniqueness will attract many companies and people.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,540 times
I dunno about this project has good and bad aspects to it and the lead guy on it seems kinda shady and this bit about an auto oriented attraction the raceway and such-it hardly seems 'green' they say there's enough water but I have my doubts. Plus they tout organic farming and such but then there's the 'seed' planted for areas just outside of the project-ie not so good projects going up just outside it's boundaries creating the sprawl that it was designed to prevent who owns this land free and clear and are the developments rights purchased on the areas just outside of it so that they stay in farming/wilderness and don't turn into the usual urban sprawl? No one seems to be asking the hard questions on this and the project border seems kinda sprawling not contiguous and compact. If they are really serious they would straighten all these questions out no iffiness and make sure they don't bail, with county taxpayers picking up the tab for their mistakes as they abscond to Costa Rica. Plus almost always they end up different than planned and mostly not meeting what was envisioned-anyone remember that EPCOT was supposed to be domed city and what it turned out to be-Just another Disney attraction and Celebration next door, then you see all those big plans there were envisioned for the north shore of the Salton Sea, that so far haven't happened. I have my doubts, If I were voting on this I would vote no. They'd be better off doing this by an already existing urban area.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I agree with you...Considering how large this project will be,it will most definately attract a diversity of Jobs in, Schools, Government, Commercial, Offices, Distribution Centers,Retail, Plants,Dining,Entertainment and many other Jobs will be created in or near Quay Valley.

It's like creating a New Mid-Sized City.
I agree. The jobs will come. The fact that they are starting out with alternate forms of energy as opposed to trying to add them later impresses me. I would live there.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 16,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester6 View Post
I agree. The jobs will come. The fact that they are starting out with alternate forms of energy as opposed to trying to add them later impresses me. I would live there.
I also agree the jobs and people will come. I am a nurse who moved to Atlanta due to the nursing shortage sign on bonus. I would love to come home, though. This place sounds great. Alternative energy from the start is the way to go. In Atlanta and neighboring southern states I have seen sprawl that was a completely unplanned mess. I visited the Quay website, and it seemed like they have their act together. Are there any medical facilities nearby where I could work? It sounds like an outlet mall, car/boat racing facility would attact visitors who would need medical care, plus the permanent population. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM

23 posts, read 79,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarn View Post
I also agree the jobs and people will come. I am a nurse who moved to Atlanta due to the nursing shortage sign on bonus. I would love to come home, though. This place sounds great. Alternative energy from the start is the way to go. In Atlanta and neighboring southern states I have seen sprawl that was a completely unplanned mess. I visited the Quay website, and it seemed like they have their act together. Are there any medical facilities nearby where I could work? It sounds like an outlet mall, car/boat racing facility would attact visitors who would need medical care, plus the permanent population. Thanks!

Hopefully this project can start making more progress soon..the project itself is just massive. The proposed project is in the middle of nowhere basically..theres a new modern state hospital in coalinga like 25 min northwest of the site. and the other nearest hospital is in Hanford, 45 min. away, which is constructing the largest hospital in the county. Even before any of the motorsport complex is started, the developer needs to have a Level 1 trauma center, and a large scale hospital for any accidents and also for the local permanent population.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:38 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Let's not forget this is in King's County....the county that already has one fast growing city called Hanford at 50,000 population. And then there's Lemoore. If Quay Valley is built the quality of life in Hanford will go down, and sure enough the same will happen in Quay Valley. And I sure hope all those people living in the hottest region of Quay Valley don't all get sick from the heat, cause then that city will have a bad un-employment rate.

And, do we need to grow in the central valley more? what about the mountains?

and with that city being built it will enable kings city to become one of the 28 largest counties in the state.

i'm not for this project right now, being that i see a down in population for cities in california...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California