U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

14,323 posts, read 20,480,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Please don't shoot the messenger. I also post equally negative articles regarding Las Vegas and Phoenix. I personally love San Diego and consider it paradise (if I could afford it).

California Is Broke – 19 Reasons Why It May Be Time For Everyone To Leave The State Of California For Good
These figures are more a reflection of the effects of 8 years of Bush and 7 years of Arnold have had on this state. Republicans stink, which is why they were soundly rejected in CA in the last election. A brighter future awaits.

The state is on the mend, and we now have good people in place. President Obama and Jerry Brown. Buzz off, Pubs!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,273 posts, read 62,339,680 times
I'm an ex-Californian in Seattle now 18 years, but still have a lot of family and friends there, who we went to visit last summer. Of those, I only know one that got laid off, then moved to Spokane, couldn't find a job and is now back in CA with a new job. Another works for the state and has been threatened with layoff several times, and has taken a pay cut but is still doing fine. The most prosperous relative was making well over $100k with overtime but that has been cut, still at close to $90k is doing fine. Her home cost $168k back when, was worth $675 in 2007 and now about $300k, but that's still a decent return. California has always had more than it's share of unemployed and underemployed, and that has gotten worse there than much of the country because costs were so high all along. I expect it may take longer to recover, but the gloom and doom stories seem exaggerated.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I'm an ex-Californian in Seattle now 18 years, but still have a lot of family and friends there, who we went to visit last summer. Of those, I only know one that got laid off, then moved to Spokane, couldn't find a job and is now back in CA with a new job. Another works for the state and has been threatened with layoff several times, and has taken a pay cut but is still doing fine. The most prosperous relative was making well over $100k with overtime but that has been cut, still at close to $90k is doing fine. Her home cost $168k back when, was worth $675 in 2007 and now about $300k, but that's still a decent return. California has always had more than it's share of unemployed and underemployed, and that has gotten worse there than much of the country because costs were so high all along. I expect it may take longer to recover, but the gloom and doom stories seem exaggerated.
They're not exaggerated. People don't know enough to understand the magnitude of the 'spend and pretend' going on to fully appreciate why things seem to be still stable.

So, what lies ahead? Let me give you a brief :
> Build America Bonds will soon be ending .. No more funny money for states to buffer their deficits :
The End Of The MUB Bounce? Republicans To Block Renewal Of Build America Bonds | zero hedge

> Obama will be announcing his new budget
Obama official: New budget won't be pain-free - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

> Unemployment extensions .. got approval to extend yet again for the 4th time to the end of this year .. there will be NO MORE extensions after that ...

> States have been borrowing a huge amount of money from the fed to pay their perpetual unemployment .. Surprise, they haven't been paying it back
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/us...ates.html?_r=1

> Another round of layoffs from employees .. Companies are seeing their margins squeezed by the inflation being caused by the federal reserve ...
"Get Ready For Margin Collapse" Goes Mainstream | zero hedge

> Inflation inflation inflation.
* higher food prices/Higher gas/energy prices/Higher product prices

W/ all of this, the hottest news centers on social apps/groupon ...
More unproductive consumerism.. Yeah, the future looks real bright !

I don't do this just to be pessimistic .. It pays to be right and predict upcoming events in markets .. To see the 'real' picture. I have to in order to make money.

As for people not seeing the disaster i see.. Remind me.. How many people saw the housing bubble or previous recessions.. Ignorance is bliss until it explodes in your face.
But I still have a job.. Until you don't .. and have no money in the bank....
But I still have a job.. But there are many who don't .. who your company depends on to buy their products...
But I still have a job.. But there are many who don't .. who your government depends on for tax revenue to pay your salary.

Tough times are ahead simply because no one has learned their lesson. The majority of Americans are still the dumb indebted blind consumers they were previous to this downturn because daddy bailed them out.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,141,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
They're not exaggerated. People don't know enough to understand the magnitude of the 'spend and pretend' going on to fully appreciate why things seem to be still stable.
But I still have a job.. Until you don't .. and have no money in the bank....
But I still have a job.. But there are many who don't .. who your company depends on to buy their products...
But I still have a job.. But there are many who don't .. who your government depends on for tax revenue to pay your salary.

Tough times are ahead simply because no one has learned their lesson. The majority of Americans are still the dumb indebted blind consumers they were previous to this downturn because daddy bailed them out.
So the "answer" according to a self-described "sophisticated 20-something" is what exactly? Continued bit¢hing, from someone who moved from Florida and now makes "six-figures" here? And who complains bitterly about the "taxes", or that he can't find a rental for the same price he used to pay in FL (which BTW, is broke)?

Well I have an easy solution to your, um, "problems": first look up the emotional concept of "appreciating what you have" (any spiritual discipline can help you out there). And next, read up a bit on the idea of "supply and demand".

Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So the "answer" according to a self-described "sophisticated 20-something" is what exactly? Continued bit¢hing, from someone who moved from Florida and now makes "six-figures" here? And who complains bitterly about the "taxes", or that he can't find a rental for the same price he used to pay in FL (which BTW, is broke)?

Well I have an easy solution to your, um, "problems": first look up the emotional concept of "appreciating what you have" (any spiritual discipline can help you out there). And next, read up a bit on the idea of "supply and demand".

LOL

I would love soo much for the complacent non-bishing people who accept everything just the way they are (ignorance is bliss) ... The people w/ no grasp on reality to not be bailed out when their ideology of a perfect world comes crashing down on their face. Sadly they are bailed out and snub their perfect little noses in the air at anyone who points out a problem.... What problem? I don't see a problem .. As deficits build and build ...
So, hey ... Sorry for being a concerned citizen who cares. I guess I would fit in more if I didn't as it is the trend now-a-days.

Look, I am pointing out problems... Reality .. The fix is for people to (1st - recognize and understand there is a problem) .. then you can work on solving it. You can't solve a problem unless you first admit there is one.
But now-a-days, that's called b*tching..... Well, hey... If there is no problem, what are you borrowing money for to solve? If there is no problem, why are you getting bailed out.

Please don't talk to me about supply/demand. To 'demand', you have to have money or someone dumb enough to lend you the money. Gee, I wonder how the financial crisis happened. I am guessing it wasn't because people were running around with un-borrowed money creating demand... Gee, I wonder how your average person from California affords a $500k shack... From the many charts I analyzed it was from : ARM loans/Interest only loans... 5% down, non-traditional 30 year mortgages, etc.

Neither of your trivial suggestions get at the heart of the matter and are pretty poorly constructed personal attacks.
My problem were identified and solved about a year after coming here :
> Push as much money as I can into deferred tax shelters
* Drain them upon leaving California
> Enjoy every minute of the natural beauties of California
> Work hard and save money
> Buy as many high priced items online
> Don't buy an expensive car
> Don't buy a house
> Vote against tax increases, compel others to do the same, and inform people about the gross mismanagement of tax funds in CA
> Leave

This state is naturally beautiful. The cost of living/taxes aren't. Doesn't take a rocket science to maximize the value of their stay here.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-14-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,418 posts, read 9,141,794 times
Big deal, so things ain't cheap here.... get over it, and besides, since when is anyone "entitled" to anything? Only a fool expects to be able to buy a Lexus on a Corolla budget. And Cali has much to offer compared to "cheaper" places, so why should the "affordability" here be any different?

Of course if you're really that unhappy, I suppose you can always see if that old "low-rent girlfriend" of yours, Florida will "take you back"!

Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Big deal, so things ain't cheap here.... get over it, and besides, since when is anyone "entitled" to anything? Only a fool expects to be able to buy a Lexus on a Corolla budget. And Cali has much to offer compared to "cheaper" places, so why should the "affordability" here be any different?

Of course if you're really that unhappy, I suppose you can always see if that old "low-rent girlfriend" of yours, Florida will "take you back"!
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/2741071/u-mad-lol-u-mad-tho.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Troll-Face (broken link)

Old 02-15-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Because afford-ability here largely is skewed due to an idiotic govt. and tax policies.
I clearly understand the market forces of supply demand. I further understand the influences of : subsidies, freely available credit, and flawed taxation structures that all go to skew the basic forces of supply/demand. California is a beautiful place. I already admitted that. But not one tax dollar created the nature you see around you. Just remember that this beautiful place was here long before an inept govt. (supported by voters) screwed it up.

New report details deep cuts to schools, public safety if taxes fail - San Jose Mercury News
We'll make sure to talk after the tax extensions don't pass ....
We will see how your lack of caring about outright mismanagement of funds, a dried up pool of bailouts via :
> Unemployment insurance loans
> Build America Bonds
> Backdoor federal funded railroads to nowhere and construction projects

Combined w/ scaled back govt. funds do to your beloved state that's on life support. Again, people point out problems .. A group who would rather be ignorantly bliss says, if you don't like it GTFO ... Good Day Sir Pain is coming. I hope all your love and emotions help the pain Brown is going to inflict on you.

It's going to be a day of utmost joy for me.
bwahahahah

Old 02-15-2011, 05:40 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,832,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Said the same thing a few days ago... traffic is down and it's actually easier to find a parking place.
That looks good even for me especially knowing I can get a better quality of life than FLARIDUH and also still not have to fight for as many parking spaces as youd think. I will be a newbie there, but not coming because its the new "hotspot" to come to. More to improve my situation after living in FLARIDUH.

Yeahthatguy can have this hellhole.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM

151 posts, read 496,728 times
As another ex-California resident (though I was born in Chicago), let me give you my take:

California was always (and still is) a great place to live. The political problems can be solved, if everyone works together. I don’t blame the Dems or the GOP for the mess; it’s really just a sign of the rotten financial times we live in. What worries me the most about California compared to the rest of the USA? Every time I talk to another business acquaintance from the West Coast/CA, they tell me the same thing - the money is gone. No matter how you cut, slice, or dice it - wealth builds wealth, and it seems like the wealthy are leaving CA (and to a lesser degree the whole West Coast) for the East Coast and now even Asia.

The wealthy create jobs and capital. I saw it in my business every day. Where have all the wealthy gone since the 1980’s out West? I think that is the real problem, CA needs to attract more wealthy people. This means not vacation second home owners, rich movie starts who really live in London or NYC most of the year, or investors who live 2000 or 10,000 miles away...etc – but full time residents who spend money on the local schools and in the local communities.

I just saw this updated list (2011) of the 100 wealthiest suburbs in the USA: 13 of them are on the West Coast (just 9 in CA)....and 61 are on the East Coast. More and more the wealthy are concentrating in/outside the mega cities on the East Coast (NYC/Washington/Miami) and less and less in California. When you add in the growing illegal immigration issues (I mean no disrespect to anyone here)... not only is California becoming a poorer state financially, but socioeconomically as well:

http://higley1000.com/archives/380

1 Fisher Island $682,985 Miami
2 Diablo $601,238 San Francisco-Oakland
3 Jupiter Island $467,408 Stuart, FL
4 Chevy Chase Village $466,702 Washington DC
5 Hunting Valley $436,186 Cleveland
6 Brookville $429,525 Long Island Gold Coast
7 Westover Hills $398,883 Fort Worth
8 Hidden Hills $385,536 Los Angeles
9 Oyster Bay Cove $384,963 Long Island Gold Coast
10 Kenilworth $382,188 Chicago
11 Munsey Park $380,882 Manhasset, NY
12 Hunters Creek Village $373,367 Houston
13 Rolling Hills $369,876 Los Angeles, CA
14 Bedford Village $366,254 Westchester County
15 Barton Creek $365,465 Austin
16 Plandome $365,228 Port Washington, NY
17 Pound Ridge $359,868 Westchester County, NY
18 Old Westbury $356,056 Long Island Gold Coast, NY
19 Muttontown $353,476 Long Island Gold Coast, NY
20 Atherton $349,716 Silicon Valley, CA
21 Woodside $349,630 Silicon Valley, CA
22 Plandome Manor $349,562 Port Washington, NY
23 Cherry Hills Village $346,678 Denver
24 Belle Meade $342,368 Nashville
25 Chenequa $341,146 Milwaukee
26 Bannockburn $339,645 Chicago
27 Lloyd Harbor $338,730 Long Island Gold Coast
28 Sands Point $337,881 Manhasset, NY
29 New Canaan $335,708 Fairfield County
30 Old Field $334,086 Suffolk County
31 Harding Township $333,582 Morris County, NJ
32 North Key Largo $332,992 Miami-Dade
33 Laurel Hollow $323,269 Long Island Gold Coast
34 Scarsdale $322,388 Westchester County
35 Winnetka $319,268 Chicago
36 Piney Point Village $319,265 Houston
37 Manalapan $318,077 Palm Beach, FL
38 Los Altos Hills $315,616 Silicon Valley, CA
39 Hillsborough $314,457 San Francisco, CA
40 Rancho Santa Fe $312,495 San Diego, CA
41 Larchmont $311,884 Westchester County
42 Travilah $311,242 Washington DC
43 Upper Brookville $311,166 Long Island Gold Coast
44 Castle Pines $309,269 Denver
45 Village of Indian Hill $308,331 Cincinnati
46 Mission Hills $304,581 Kansas City
47 Glencoe $303,055 Chicago
48 Bronxville $297,310 Westchester County, NY
49 Alpine $296,514 Bergen County, NJ
50 Mountain Lakes $295,869 Morris County, NJ
51 Chappaqua $293,154 Westchester County, NY
52 Weston $290,846 Fairfield County, CT
53 Darien $290,083 Fairfield County, CT
54 Bunker Hill Village $290,071 Houston
55 Roslyn Harbor $289,280 Long Island Gold Coast, NY
56 Chevy Chase Town $287,814 Washington DC
57 Saddle River $287,560 Bergen County
58 Highland Park $287,298 Dallas
59 Somerset $286,600 Washington DC
60 Fox Chapel $286,325 Pittsburgh
61 Hewlett Harbor $285,829 Five Towns, NY
62 Chevy Chase Section 3 $284,697 Washington DC
63 Hilshire $284,421 Houston
64 Glenview $284,301 Louisville
65 Lake Success $283,117 Nassau County
66 Mill Neck $282,625 Long Island Gold Coast
67 Great Falls $281,848 Washington DC
68 Lake Forest $280,172 Chicago
69 Lattington $278,699 Long Island Gold Coast
70 River Hills $278,681 Milwaukee
71 Sunfish Lake $278,463 Minneapolis
72 East Meadows $278,347 Long Island Gold Coast, NY
73 Golden Beach $276,827 Fort Lauderdale, FL
74 Kiawah Island $274,547 South Carolina Coast,SC
75 Essex Fells $273,927 Newark, NJ
76 Flower Hill $273,752 Manhasset, NJ
77 South Barrington $271,366 Chicago
78 Roslyn Estates $270,274 Nassau County, NJ
79 Briarcliffe Manor $268,983 Westchester County, NJ
80 Clyde Hill $268,421 Seattle
81 Portola Valley $267,332 Silicon Valley
82 Bentleyville $266,796 Cleveland
83 Palos Verdes Estates $266,149 Los Angeles
84 Matinecock $262,828 Long Island Gold Coast
85 Plandome Heights $260,875 Manhasset, NY
86 Harbor Hills $260,335 Great Neck, NY
87 Old Brookville $259,912 Long Island Gold Coast, NY
88 Pelham Manor $259,707 Westchester County, NY
89 Millburn (Short Hills) $259,656 Newark, NJ
90 Weston $259,612 Boston, MA
91 Mendham Township $259,463 Morris County, NJ
92 Ross $258,815 Marin County, FL
93 Olmos Park $258,716 San Antonio
94 Martins Addition $258,022 Washington DC
95 Medina $257,258 Seattle
96 Minnetonka Beach $256,983 Minneapolis
97 Gulf Stream $256,474 Palm Beach, FL
98 Westport $256,417 Fairfield County, CT
99 Chevy Chase Section 5 $254,676 Washington DC
100 Yarrow Point $254,322 Seattle

West Coast = 13
East Coast = 61
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California