U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 37,398,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I dunno about that one. They just closed the auto plant in Fremont a few months back and consolidated to a more business friendly state with lower taxes and labor costs.
Was that the one GM and Toyota owned? I thought someone else reopened it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,855,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Im curious to hear from the locals themselves. I mean...I came from Florida which was similar, but probably not as bad.

I just cant imagine the locals saying how broke their state is, how poor they are, etc. There's got to be someone living good there, right?

I was really considering moving there, but all the talk I've heard over the months scared me away.
It's not that bad yet, but it could get very bad. The problem is that everyone thinks the governor can fix things, that he's some sort of king, but basically nothing can be done to fix the system without an overhaul of the state constitution (because of the supermajority needed to make financial changes such as taxes).

Still, it's better to live here than in some primitive, 3rd world backwaters such as the Dixie states.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 AM

28,686 posts, read 31,298,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
We have to create jobs or we can kiss our society as we know it goodbye. You start creating jobs by creating a business friendly environment instead of anti-business which is currently the plan. A good start would be to cut taxes and business environmental regulations, repeal Obamacare and take the cap and trade off the table. We need to give confidence back to the small business entrepreneurs.
In general I'm for lower taxes and regulations. Aside from not adding more taxes & regulations, I don't think getting rid of useless regulations and lowering taxes won't be anywhere near enough to get us out of the hole.

We desperately need to find a way to lower health care costs and to create a health care system that focuses on preventing the long term chronic illnesses that leat to high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, stroke, & diabetes. Most incidence of these diseases are preventable. Since 50% of our health care dollars are already spent publicly (and that's before Obamacare kicks in), that would help a lot to rein in state and national budget deficits...as well as create a happier & healthier population.

Neither political party really has any concrete solutions. Even Obama proponents, like Warren Buffett, admitted that Obamacare will do little or nothing to control health care costs.

Of course, ordinary citizens can take matters into their own hands by learning the difference between REAL food and fake food. My parents were in Quebec last September and they remarked on how there were much fewer overweight people there compared to America.

I love this short and simple book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Eat...7984082&sr=8-1

Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 AM

9,722 posts, read 13,888,368 times
Quote:
We have to create jobs or we can kiss our society as we know it goodbye. You start creating jobs by creating a business friendly environment instead of anti-business which is currently the plan. A good start would be to cut taxes and business environmental regulations, repeal Obamacare and take the cap and trade off the table. We need to give confidence back to the small business entrepreneurs.
Businesses don't need confidence. They need CUSTOMERS!!! They hire when the work is overwhelming for the existing staff.

I have a business in California. Taxes are not bad. I've only met one person who (stupidly) folded up a good business in California because of the taxes. (I tried to tell him, the surest way to cut your taxes is to cut your income, but he wouldn't listen. Moved to a low tax state and damn! Cut his income by 80%!)

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 AM

8,405 posts, read 15,361,556 times
I'd agree to repealing "Obamacare" in a minute if we replaced it with a real, single-payer healthcare program, such as the "Medicare for all" idea, instead of the watered-down bargain-basement plan that was passed to appease the unappeasable Republicans. Single payer would cut our medical bills in half for essentially the same care and provide the same number of jobs, but cost about half as much. But we can't have it because THE GUMMIT.

To the OP: Take your own advice and leave California. We will do fine without you.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 AM

9,722 posts, read 13,888,368 times
I agree with all of you on healthcare. We need to do something. I would have preferred a single payer system too, or at least a single payer option.

High blood pressure and diabetes are the types of diseases that can be managed. When they are NOT managed, that's when you get expensive problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,255,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Businesses don't need confidence. They need CUSTOMERS!!! They hire when the work is overwhelming for the existing staff.

I have a business in California. Taxes are not bad. I've only met one person who (stupidly) folded up a good business in California because of the taxes. (I tried to tell him, the surest way to cut your taxes is to cut your income, but he wouldn't listen. Moved to a low tax state and damn! Cut his income by 80%!)
Potential customers need money to buy your product ...

Consumer confidence is low, everyone is worried they will lose their jobs.

The business environment confidence is low because of current cost and perceived costs under Obama if Cap and Trade gets passed and more job killing bills.

Obamacare is a scam and is only redistribution of wealth and government control of the medical industry. The people that work will pay for the people that don't including all the illegal aliens.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM

27,435 posts, read 56,414,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Was that the one GM and Toyota owned? I thought someone else reopened it?
NUMMI in Fremont was joint owned by GM and Toyota with Toyota vehicle production ahead of GM.

The property was sold to Tesla and last I heard... negotiations are on going for equipment inside.

5000 employees called NUMMI home and reports state another 10,000 ancillary jobs across all segments depended on the Plant for their livelihood.

NUMMI tried to expand on Land held solely for this purpose and met numerous roadblocks... there were also problems with the electric grid and cost of electricity.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM

1,081 posts, read 3,058,672 times
Quote:
The cap-n-trade scam is DOA in Washington thank God - but you may be stuck with a state level version in CA. The enviros there are intent on shutting dpwn whats left of the state's economy in the name of fighting anthropogenic global warming - which actually a religion not science.
CA enviros have already put the state's agricultural sector on life support by cutting of water in the San Joaquin valley - now they're working to hit the rest of your state's economy.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM

23,599 posts, read 33,303,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
CA enviros have already put the state's agricultural sector on life support by cutting of water in the San Joaquin valley...
Well, the enviros gotta make sure they have enough water left to make all that Kool-Aid they drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California