Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:23 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times

Advertisements

Please don't shoot the messenger. I also post equally negative articles regarding Las Vegas and Phoenix. I personally love San Diego and consider it paradise (if I could afford it).

California Is Broke – 19 Reasons Why It May Be Time For Everyone To Leave The State Of California For Good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,068 times
Im curious to hear from the locals themselves. I mean...I came from Florida which was similar, but probably not as bad.

I just cant imagine the locals saying how broke their state is, how poor they are, etc. There's got to be someone living good there, right?

I was really considering moving there, but all the talk I've heard over the months scared me away.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:45 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Im curious to hear from the locals themselves. I mean...I came from Florida which was similar, but probably not as bad.

I just cant imagine the locals saying how broke their state is, how poor they are, etc. There's got to be someone living good there, right?

I was really considering moving there, but all the talk I've heard over the months scared me away.
Well, Californians are supposed to be dramatic, right... (Hollywood and all) If you can afford it, just try it for a while and see for yourself..., there is no other way.

If you hear bitter complaints (like mine ), it's because we care about the state and many of us just are sad to see it in what many of us consider this pathetic condition while it could be so much better if not for the idiocy in Sacramento...

It's like this once healthy and sprightly state has caught a potentially life threatening malady...

Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
I guess people have to look at their own situations. That article is a HUGE generalization about a state with nearly 40 million people and several distinct districts.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
The article is 100% correct. ALOT of californians are in denial & when the **** hits the fan you will regret it. Ca used to be a really good state to live in but thanks to the worse legislature in ca history & a washed up actor/govenor its no longer the golden state.

It would be nice if we could clean house in sacramento but it will never happen. I dont care for either whitman or brown & i have a gut feeling it going to get alot worse here.

The ca air resources board (CARB) are foul natzis that need to be stopped.

Unfortunately im stuck here in ca cause i have barely worked in the past few yrs. I did contact the county requesting help but they said they are broke just like the state.

I have never been homeless but i could be at any time & its scary as ****. The mgr did tell me that if i cant pay my space rent the owner will give me a 60 day notice to evict & take my mobile home that i worked for years to pay off.

I havent worked for min wage since i was a teen many yrs ago but it looks like i will if i get a weekend job i applied for. Most of my work has been outdoors in the hot ca sun & this job is indoors so its ok.

I have done landscaping, roofing & general construction for quite a few yrs but the work is either dryed up or im being outbid by the illegals or whomever. My estimates are fair & resonable. I have to earn a living too.

So yes.....its really bad in california.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Is ca. in bad shape? sure along with most of the states, Am I hurting? Nope, I've got a good stable high pay job and a very low debt ratio.

Will a new govener save Ca. ? Nope
Are the people so upset they are rioting in the streets? NOPE then it must not be all that bad.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
As far as I'm concerned I hope this crap stays this way until it breaks this state. Then maybe we can change a few things.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post

California is broke, but Californians aren't that broke. Like I've said before, I haven't seen anyone standing in soup lines yet, and that won't ever happen. One of my cousins is a massage therapist, hasn't lost his job and doesn't look like he will. His wife is a nurse and her job is secure. My other cousin works for UPS and his job is secure. My good friend is police officer and his department is not laying off officers. My other friend just landed a good job with an energy company. My other friend is a football coach for a college and his job isn't going anywhere. My other friend is a cook at a boarding school and his job is secure. My other friend owns bars in a college town and he has barely even been effected by the recession. My other friend's dad is a business consultant and his wife is an independent architect. They haven't been too effected by the recession.

Its true, a lot of places that always traditonally hire aren't hiring right now, and lay offs are taking place just like other states, but this whole thing about California turning into a Haiti is just ridiculous. California will be just fine and I don't know many people who feel the need to move.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Please don't shoot the messenger. I also post equally negative articles regarding Las Vegas and Phoenix. I personally love San Diego and consider it paradise (if I could afford it).

California Is Broke – 19 Reasons Why It May Be Time For Everyone To Leave The State Of California For Good
Interesting that the number is "19", considering if California voters stupidly vote to reject Prop 19, they will have proved themselves even stupider than I thought they were.

Is that number just a coincidence? BTW - that article doesn't mention the one issue that threatens California's future more than anything else - water.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

Those "economic collapse" blogs just crack me up. As someone who is often fairly sympathetic to the conservative causes, I'd have to say that they often hurt the legitimate cases made for measured government.

Just take a look at another figure, state revenue, and then compare it to other states. That gives you a decent idea how California is doing.

Tell you what, I'll even give you a head start here (fair warning though, I never reference a blog):

2009 States Ranked by Total State Taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California