Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
And you probably rail on interminably about people on welfare who are actually getting a tiny amount of the welfare money lavished on the military.
Actually you're wrong on many counts, but you kind of missed my central point in the first place...

First of all health and human services take up the majority of spending now in the federal government, states like CA it takes up the vast majority. Hardly "tiny". And even with defense, most of the spending goes into operations, not the cost of "the bomb" itself. Moreover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We spend more on national offense, the military budget, than the next 20 nations COMBINED. We simply don't need that for defensive purposes, we could easily make do with one-third the amount, that's why it's really welfare for the military contractors who surround the Capitol with capital.

That money could be used for universal health care (as ALL the other industrialized nations have) or any number of humanitarian purposes where the money spent would hire even MORE people than the military-industrial complex uses!

I might see a neighbor lose a job on a bomb factory assembly line, but I'd see 3 people hired as nurse's aides, insulin production, mental health worker, etc.
I don't have a problem redistributing money from defense to other things as long as we have a strong defense. The problem is many in CA like you sit there and complain about military spending without realizing their paycheck is probably coming from the exact same thing they complain about. Especially in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Actually you're wrong on many counts, but you kind of missed my central point in the first place...

First of all health and human services take up the majority of spending now in the federal government, states like CA it takes up the vast majority. Hardly "tiny". And even with defense, most of the spending goes into operations, not the cost of "the bomb" itself. Moreover...

I don't have a problem redistributing money from defense to other things as long as we have a strong defense. The problem is many in CA like you sit there and complain about military spending without realizing their paycheck is probably coming from the exact same thing they complain about. Especially in CA.
Since at least 2/3 of all military expenditures are unnecessary, the superfluous amount is a sort of gigantic welfare program benefiting a relatively small number of mostly rich stockholders.

There are other nations which provide all the social services and safety nets as we do, but at a lower cost - including universal health care in ALL other firstworld industrialized nations. We could study their systems and make one like it, and we could subsidize such a necessary system from reductions in a largely superfluous form of welfare, the military. Then we could shift from paying welfare to the wealthy shareholders of military contractors making "gee whiz" new bombs, to funding the expanded social system which is a necessity and not a luxury.

But what happens when you start up or expand a new program? You need to hire people. So it would be social services, clinics, medical supply factories, etc which would employ many people, instead of somewhat smaller number of military personnel and bomb factories.

The jobs don't go away if the military budget is cut and social programs enhanced. They get changed. Or maybe I should say the jobs get cut, and then more jobs open up. It would be painful, but better for California and the world.

California is starting to perk up now, more jobs and tax revenue. The reports of our death are greatly exaggerated as always. We will have to tighten our belts to sustain it, though, especially in the matter of unrealistic public pension plans.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,519 times
LOL at the doom and gloomers the SF/ Bay Area is the ONLY part of the country creating new companies and jobs. We are the innovation capital of the country and the world and will remain so.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Please don't shoot the messenger. I also post equally negative articles regarding Las Vegas and Phoenix. I personally love San Diego and consider it paradise (if I could afford it).

California Is Broke – 19 Reasons Why It May Be Time For Everyone To Leave The State Of California For Good
I' am not directing this at you at all (in fact I think you are an auesome poster ), but to those who seem to have endless hate for the Golden State:

YES, CALIFORNIA IS HAVING IT'S ECONOMIC TROUBLES, BUT EVERY STATE IS. A person with a hint of intelligence would realize that California's struggles are at the state government level. That has NO BEARING whatsoever on the private sector (i.e. large corporations and small businesses, which if I' am correct, employs the majority of California's workforce).

All of the hating on California needs to stop. It is childish, and I' am sick of seeing it on CD.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:12 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
LOL at the doom and gloomers the SF/ Bay Area is the ONLY part of the country creating new companies and jobs. We are the innovation capital of the country and the world and will remain so.
LOL, "Buy more Internet stock, the price will NEVER go down!" "Yeah flip that house, the value of that house will NEVER go down"

LOL yeah <sarcasm> I'm sure Facebook value is ALWAYS going to go up even though they link 10% of the planet already, and their business model is to suck up information on everyone on the Internet. That'll go over well. That and tech companies which can't even stay afloat without massive government subsidies from their donor parties.</sarcasm> Life must be great with those rose colored glasses on. I want a pair!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,757 times
It probably won't take an overnighter to recover but the stats are showing huge number of jobs are coming back in California in recent data. The home prices are at the lows where around before 2000 were at. I hope a really good governor (wishful thinking) of California will do something to turn things around. If they don't improve or turn things around, I will go for Washington state instead which is one of my back up plans.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
LOL, "Buy more Internet stock, the price will NEVER go down!" "Yeah flip that house, the value of that house will NEVER go down"

LOL yeah <sarcasm> I'm sure Facebook value is ALWAYS going to go up even though they link 10% of the planet already, and their business model is to suck up information on everyone on the Internet. That'll go over well. That and tech companies which can't even stay afloat without massive government subsidies from their donor parties.</sarcasm> Life must be great with those rose colored glasses on. I want a pair!
Didn't know Facebook was the main industry in California, or that Californians can't learn from past mistakes that many residents of other states have also made. I learn something dumb every day!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:

Right.

Well, have fun in transition and all that... I'm sure it's better than Kommiefornia

Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 AM

6 posts, read 6,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I guess people have to look at their own situations. That article is a HUGE generalization about a state with nearly 40 million people and several distinct districts.
Its true, one cannot generalize on the basis of one article. There are a lot of people living in this state and all have had different experiences about life in California, hence generalization gives a wrong picture. Every place has its pros and cons, but the emotional connect one develops is important. The connect to the people and the place is what makes us call it home!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:32 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
California is Broke-19 reason why it might be time for everyone to leave the state of California for good.

See ya! Bye Bye! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California