Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Ca will never go bankrupt.
That's rather an absolute and unprovable statement. What's bad about this kind of attitude is that it masks the potentially catastrophic consequences of political decisions.

I bet Iceland and Greece folks were posting the same thing on their forums... - "we can never go bankrupt" Heck, even the entire country of the UK is concerned enough about their debt to take drastic steps to reduce their public wasti... ahem, spending.

I'd take a concerned pessimist over a giddy optimist every time. If reality exceeds pessimistic expectations all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 03:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
What planet do you live on?

How ironic.

Quote:

From Wikipedia:
California levies a 9.3 percent maximum variable rate income tax, with six tax brackets, collecting about $40 billion per year (representing approximately 51% of General Fund revenue and 40% of tax revenue overall in FY2007). California has a state sales tax of 8.25%, which can total up to 10.75% with local sales tax included. All real property is taxable annually, the tax based on the property's fair market value at the time of purchase or completion of new construction. Property tax increases are capped at 2% per year (see Proposition 13).
However, California is facing a $26.3 billion budget deficit for the 2009–2010 budget year. While the legislative bodies appeared to address the problem in 2008 with the three-month delayed passage of a budget they in fact only postponed the deficit to 2009 and due to the late 2008 decline in the economy and the credit crisis the problem became urgent in November 2008.
One potential problem is that a substantial portion of the state's income comes from income taxes on a small proportion of wealthy citizens. For example, it is estimated that in 2004 the richest 3% of state taxpayers (those with tax returns showing over 200K USD yearly income) paid approximately 60% of state income taxes.MOD CUT.
I stopped reading at Wikipedia--its not credible as anybody can write whatever they want..you did know that didnt you? Guess Not. LOL

LET ME SHARE WITH YOU THE WORDS STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH on OCT 6.2010:

"California has never defaulted on its debt and never will,"

-Bill Lockyer, State Treasurer, State of California.

MUNI WATCH: Calif To Sell Up To $10B Notes In Nov -Treasurer - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101006-714725.html - broken link)

We are constitutionally bound to put bond payments higher above all other kinds of spending except Education.

So call California what you want, but the state is no deadbeat.

Last edited by NewToCA; 10-23-2010 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: altered source posting to avoid copyright problem

Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The citizens expect their governments to do more than is realistic. Entire political systems are bought and paid for by a small, moneyed, elite. And ordinary citizens are kept divided and fighting with each other over which moneyed elite faction is looking out for them, when the truth is it's, "none of the above".
Exactly!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
You have any idea how many years I've been told to buy emergency food for the coming collapse?*

HINT: About as many years as I've been told "Jesus is coming back (insert time reference here), so get yourself right with god".

*95% of the time the people telling me that were somehow connected with the emergency food biz, naturally... much like that blog is.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:20 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
[/font]

How ironic.

I stopped reading at Wikipedia--its not credible as anybody can write whatever they want..you did know that didnt you? Guess Not. LOL

LET ME SHARE WITH YOU THE WORDS STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH on OCT 6.2010:

"California has never defaulted on its debt and never will,"

-Bill Lockyer, State Treasurer, State of California.

MUNI WATCH: Calif To Sell Up To $10B Notes In Nov -Treasurer - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101006-714725.html - broken link)

We are constitutionally bound to put bond payments higher above all other kinds of spending except Education.

So call California what you want, but the state is no deadbeat.
Bill Lockyer ...

Old 10-23-2010, 04:38 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,718,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
For example, it is estimated that in 2004 the richest 3% of state taxpayers (those with tax returns showing over 200K USD yearly income) paid approximately 60% of state income taxes.
And they're all EVIL Republicans And they're taking all of their businesses out of the state. I say good riddance to all of them.

BTW, For 39 of the last 40 years, Sacramento has been run by the Dems. Hint, hint, could that be the problem?

Old 10-23-2010, 10:12 PM

213 posts, read 403,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Entire political systems are bought and paid for by a small, moneyed, elite. And ordinary citizens are kept divided and fighting with each other over which moneyed elite faction is looking out for them, when the truth is it's, "none of the above".
IMO a very lucid and wise statement about what's going on generally in this country. And both political parties are complicit in this.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,006,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You have any idea how many years I've been told to buy emergency food for the coming collapse?*

HINT: About as many years as I've been told "Jesus is coming back (insert time reference here), so get yourself right with god".

*95% of the time the people telling me that were somehow connected with the emergency food biz, naturally... much like that blog is.
I bet you can find a Jesus in your neighborhood. You're just not trying hard enough.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
I'd find one if I put in a lawn.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,006,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'd find one if I put in a lawn.
or if you had an El Camino for sale with fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California