Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
But seriously I see A LOT of people in the CA forum complain about how liberal California and how a liberal politicians are ruining California.

. . .If you don't like liberal policies, why did you come here in the first place?
The state is dysfunctual and broke and the liberals have been running this state for decades (the Dems have held on to the Assembly & state Senate in Sacramento for 39 of the last 40 years). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw a connection.

As to why I came here in the first place, I was born here. My family has been in CA since the 1880's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,538,544 times
I'm a conservative republican. And yes I am a Christian. Unshamed of it all. I will be moving to CA. I don't care what other people's view is. I am concerned with my own. And if it doesn't agree with yours so be it. But one thing your not going to do is shut me up. Shut my mouth and opinions up. You can go to Kentucky with all your liberal views and no one will care. People are people. Your going to find agreeing and opposing views anywhere you go. There is only one time I had complained about CA's liberal views. The day it effected the entire United States. And that's something I will never understand nor condone. And that is my opinion. What I don't understand is that you while your trying to defend your side, your putting down the entire state of Kentucky with conservative people all the while going directly against the liberal objective. I thought it was about peace with you people. Also, let's not forget to adress the fact that while California maybe majority liberal, there are plenty of conservative people living there among you who still cling to their own values and traditions. Heck, that was the history of your state! So next time you want to spiral off about us moral and God-fearing folk, I'd suggest you take a good look in the mirror of California past and check yourself before your wreck it.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM

964 posts, read 2,640,035 times
Quote:
why are you here? California a the liberal/progressive stronghold and has been for decades.
Why aren't you packing your bags and heading to the deep south?
Inertia is one reason - it's not easy to move from friends and family and support network. Despite the bad news on unemployment, the overwhelming majority of Californians are gainfully employed. Why pick up and leave?

Another reason is, not a reason at all - some people are moving out of CA.

Four years ago the housing price differences between CA and many other viable states was so great that for simply economics alone, moving was an option. Not so anymore - even though CA housing prices are still higher than other states', the differences are a lot less - there's less incentive to leave CA for housing reasons.

But in reality the differences between a very liberal state and a very conservative state are in the noise when comparing the differences in weather, diversity of industry, diversity of people, geography, amenities, lifestyles, entertainment options, and activities. Most people on a day to day basis see very little indications that their state is very conservative or very liberal. It isn't in the top ten things people think about making a move. Nobody moves because their state is liberal and the other state is conservative or vice versa.

Last edited by proudmommy; 10-26-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
So the question is, why are you here? California a the liberal/progressive stronghold and has been for decades. This is nothing new. If you don't like liberal policies, why did you come here in the first place? Why aren't you packing your bags and heading to the deep south?
Like Lovehound, I was born in California. Ultimately, I did pack my bags and relocate -- not to the deep south where I'd lived several times before. You don't necessarily have to move there to find what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land View Post
Because they will just bring up the way it used to be, they tend to love to wallow in the past i.e. 1950's when things were "great" if you were a white male of course. They hold on that things will go back the way it used to be, no more illegals, no more progressive libs, and you could be happily middle class. They don't want to accept those days are long gone. They'd rather stay here and complain.
See above. Didn't stay. Things will never go back and some facets of them never should. As for the rest not reverting, pity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Um, I was born here... As a freshly born baby I didn't have any choice in where my momma plopped me out.

… then I'll move out of state and I'll quit complaining about California because whatever they do with the state won't affect me.
Similarly situated but we are affected by what happens in CA since my wife and I have five children and six grandchildren living there. Besides, it's our "home" state where we spent most of our lives. It's less about complaints and more about concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I don't identify as liberal or conservative, but I think the question posed in this thread's title is ridiculous. Politics certainly wouldn't be my #1 priority in deciding where to live, in fact it wouldn't even make my top 10, and I doubt it's the deciding factor for most people either.
Not a deciding factor but one of many that we considered. It's difficult for us not to after spending a combined 40 years working in politics and legislation in and for the state. Why make a significant and costly move and put down new roots if many of the same annoyances and frustrations you are trying to leave behind are duplicated where you end up?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM

55 posts, read 167,889 times
California is not as liberal as many make it out to be. Look at parts of Northern California, Orange County, Ca and much of San Diego. That said, I am a conservative (used to not be when I was younger) and can't wait to get out. Finishing school here, saving for my home then headed for the high country of Colorado in about 3 years. I'll miss the weather here and the Dodgers and that's about it. Never occured to me to go to the deep south lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM

964 posts, read 2,640,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker71 View Post
the high country of Colorado
Where are you going to work? Denver isn't the high country, neither is Colorado Springs. Both of those places are likely to have jobs.

Google - public data

Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,253,028 times
Quote:
Serious thread please don't lock as I am genuinely curious. I'm not going to post any funny pics of Meg Whitman or youtube videos of Oakland.

But seriously I see A LOT of people in the CA forum complain about how liberal California and how a liberal politicians are ruining California. It also seems most here support conservative doctorines like low taxes, low social services, anti-government workers, anti-immigration and so forth. Basically the type of rhetoric you'd hear out of someone from the deep south. Lucky I have not seen any kind of religious zealots posting in the CA forum (yet).

So the question is, why are you here? California a the liberal/progressive stronghold and has been for decades. This is nothing new. If you don't like liberal policies, why did you come here in the first place? Why aren't you packing your bags and heading to the deep south?

It just seems silly to me. I would never, ever, move to the deep south even if you paid me a substantial amount of money. And even if I did move there, I definitely would not complain about how conservative the place is as I would know exactly what I was getting into before moving there.

Uh, maybe because we were born here and so were our great great great grandparents? I think you have the wrong idea about what California. Many of us are Classic Democrats, which by today's standards is probably considered moderate. This recent far right radical liberal stuff is way too extreme. I don't identify with it and want no part of it. I think it's destructive and goes against everything that made the country great.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think it's destructive and goes against everything that made the country great.
That earned you a rep!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
As a native and resident Kentuckian that is interested in moving to California, this caught my attention.

Why Kentucky? I'm curious, not defensive. I'm proud to be from Kentucky but it's not a place I want to spend the rest of my 20s and 30s. You could have said a multitude of states: Idaho, Alabama, Mississippi, Utah, Texas, South Carolina, etc.

For the record, approximately 65% of Kentucky's registered voters are Democrats. Understand, though, that many of these aren't the nationally-known left-wing Democrats that so many think of. These are people who can be socially conservative and who have elected U.S. Senators like Wendell Ford, U.S. Representatives like Ken Lucas and Carroll Hubbard and Governors like Brereton Jones and Martha Layne Collins who, while all Democratic, would at least be on par if not to the right of Meg Whitman and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Much of the south fits this old "Dixiecrat" tab altogether and, in fact, many rural regions around our state, especially those surrounding places like Owensboro, Madisonville and Lexington will elect conservative or (usually) good ol' boy Democrats to local offices yet elect strong conservative Republicans to federal office.

The only consistently Republican-across-the-board regions of Kentucky are Northern Kentucky (Metropolitan Cincinnati) and many of the counties bordering Tennessee. (As a factoid, these were the regions most strongly aligned with the Union defense during the Civil War.)

The only truly liberal pockets of Kentucky are various neighborhoods in Louisville and Lexington, which have elected representatives state and federal that even the farthest of the left would be proud of; smaller cities like Frankfort and Henderson are also fairly liberal, but not overwhelmingly so. Extreme eastern Kentucky is more union Democratic; think along the lines of SE Michigan and SW Pennsylvania, for example. Oh, yes, these Democratic areas were predominantly sentimental with the Confederacy in the Civil War.

I wanted to call the facts as I saw them to demonstrate that not all of Kentucky is solidly Republican. (For the record, I am Republican and proudly voting for Rand Paul!!) I also know that not all of California is liberal and, really, if you took away the Bay Area, it would be more of a purple state. I did not get any impression during visits that places like Orange Co., Ventura Co., San Luis Obispo, and the High Sierras were liberal Democratic. Really, at least the Central Coast and High Sierras gave me the impression of being more libertarian than either liberal or conservative.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 PM

767 posts, read 1,735,389 times
I don't consider myself "a conservative" though I can be called such on many issues.

I was born here, many others were as well or they grew up here.

Quote:
It also seems most here support conservative doctorines like low taxes, low social services, anti-government workers, anti-immigration and so forth. Basically the type of rhetoric you'd hear out of someone from the deep south. Lucky I have not seen any kind of religious zealots posting in the CA forum (yet).
You misrepresent some "conservative" issues.

Many favor low taxes because when they are taxed, they don't like how their tax dollars are spent. This coincides with social services, as such have long been exploited by those who seem to have little desire but to live on welfare. It can be argued that welfare rewards people for being poor and conditions them to stay such, esp when they were raised by parents collecting welfare.

Further, many favor low taxes because the cost of living is high here and high taxation only increases that cost. My parents have their house paid off and their property tax keeps increasing- to pay for what, exactly? There are section 8 houses in their neighborhood which are inhabited by obnoxious, hostile low-lifes raising large families of children who will follow their example and be just like them. I think I just answered my own question .

Regarding government agencies, what "conservatives" usually call for are fewer services being provided by government agencies in favor of private industry, the argument being that government agencies lack efficiency, esp when they are staffed by unmotivated union-protected employees, whereas private agencies have to be efficient to compete with each other. Are they wrong?

As for anti-immigration, some actually are categorically such but I think it's reasonable to say that most are anti-illegal immigration. Some people don't like when the law is broken. Weird.

To summarize my blathering, these "conservative" view points are perhaps not conservative at all as I think many moderates, which is what I paint myself as, are probably now more inclined than ever to lean toward.

This is especially so given what our high-tax, overpaid government employee, high welfare-program, illegal immigrant amnesty state of affairs has done to this state, which is to secure the position of the upper class while placing so much pressure on the middle class as to force it to make sacrifices to survive in CA as such, to leave in CA to preserve itself as such or to succumb to the pressure and be reduced to the working class.

Last edited by sjnative; 10-26-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California