Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 04:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Dude, you're crazy. Nobody takes California food seriously. Wine, yes. That's it. You slap "California" on food, and people think "what do those tofu eaters know about it?"
What 'people' are you talking about?

Californians eat very well. We enjoy the best produce, the finest ingredients are right at our fingertips and this wave of incorporating fresh seasonal ingredients into fine cuisine is a trend that began in the Bay Area decades ago but has redefined dining the world over.

Essentially, the Bay Area changed the way America eats. Here, read about it: American Masters . Alice Waters | PBS

Quote:
No. Never. I've heard of the California Pizza Kitchen, but I don't know anyone who's ever gone there. New York, Philly, New Orleans, Texas, Carolina, Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis, these are your food regions. For example, who makes the best California-style cheesesteak?
No, San Francisco along with Chicago and New York are the premier restaurant cities of the United States. New Orleans comes next.

The others you mention have their strong points, but overall, San Francisco is a complete city when it comes to restaurant offerings.

What distinguishes San Francisco from NY and Chicago and everywhere else is the overabundance of world class restaurants in the surrounding Bay Area.

From Oakland, Berkeley, The SF Peninsula and Napa/Sonoma Valley-EXCELLENT food all over.

Also, you don't have to be rich to eat rich in SF. That's another thing.

Quote:
Most of America thinks California eats tofu and bean sprouts.
Most ignoramuses think that. This is 2010, California is in a class by itself when it comes to the food in any state.

Quote:
The best crab comes from the Chesapeake. Florida Stone Crab is also strong.
Dungeoness is wonderful.

[
Quote:
California olives suck. Their groves just can't make a decent olive, despite lots of trying, and that's why California olives are regularly sold stuffed, to cover up for the bad taste. Nobody buys California olive oil. Nobody. You grow a lot of garlic. That doesn't mean it tastes any better than garlic grown in my garden. It's a crop, not a cuisine.
Neither your garden, or your entire state, or your entire region can compare to what California grows:

California produces 50% of all fresh produce in the USA.

Olives 100% of US Total
Almonds 99% of US Total
Artichokes 99% of US Total
Figs 99% of US Total
Walnuts 99% of US Total
Kiwi 97% of US Total
Celery 95% of US Total
Tomatoes(Processing) 95% of US Total
Nectarines 95% of US Total
Plums 95% of US Total
Broccoli 93% of US Total
Strawberries(Processing) 93% of US Total
Apricots 92% of US Total
Avocados 90% of US Total
Leaf Lettuce 90% of US Total
Grapes 89% of US Total
Cauliflower 86% of US Total
Fresh Market Strawberries 86% of US Total
Garlic 86% of US Total
Lemons 86% of US Total
Peaches 86% of US Total
Fresh Market Spinach 83% of US Total
Romaine Lettuce 83% of US Total
Dates 82% of US Total
Head Lettuce 76% of US Total
Honeydew Melons 72% of US Total
Carrots 66% of US Total
Spinach(Processing) 63% of US Total
Raspberries 61% of US Total
Canteloupe 55% of US Total
Asparagus 52% of US Total
Bell Peppers 48% of US Total
Chili Peppers 43% of US Total
Onions 38% of US Total
Tangerines 37% of US Total
Navel Oranges 34% of US Total
Fresh Market Tomatos 33% of US Total
Pears 28% of US Total
Cherries 27% of US Total
All Oranges 26% of US Total
Cabbage 22% of US Total
Agaricus Mushrooms 20% of US Total
Squash 19% of US Total
Corn 16% of US Total
Watermelons 16% of US Total
Valencia Oranges 15% of US Total
Beans 11% of US Total
Pumpkins 11% of US Total
Cucumbers 10% of US Total
Grapefruits 10% of US Total
Apples 4% of US Total
Blueberries 6% of US Total
Boysenberries 3% of US Total
Pecans 1% of US Total

Old 11-02-2010, 04:48 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California is in a class by itself when it comes to the food in any state.
No, it isn't. There is nothing remarkable or exceptional about California food, wine, excepted.

You can eat far better in Missouri or Florida than you can in California. You've developed a taste for California food, whatever it might be. The rest of the country hasn't.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What 'people' are you talking about?

Californians eat very well. We enjoy the best produce, the finest ingredients are right at our fingertips and this wave of incorporating fresh seasonal ingredients into fine cuisine is a trend that began in the Bay Area decades ago but has redefined dining the world over.

Essentially, the Bay Area changed the way America eats.
No, San Francisco along with Chicago and New York are the premier restaurant cities of the United States. New Orleans comes next.

The others you mention have their strong points, but overall, San Francisco is a complete city when it comes to restaurant offerings.

What distinguishes San Francisco from NY and Chicago and everywhere else is the overabundance of world class restaurants in the surrounding Bay Area.

From Oakland, Berkeley, The SF Peninsula and Napa/Sonoma Valley-EXCELLENT food all over.

Also, you don't have to be rich to eat rich in SF. That's another thing.

Most ignoramuses think that. This is 2010, California is in a class by itself when it comes to the food in any state.

Dungeoness is wonderful.

Neither your garden, or your entire state, or your entire region can compare to what California grows:

California produces 50% of all fresh produce in the USA.
Well, Monty, I suppose the law of averages dictated that it had to happen. You and I actually had to agree on something. But before you go celebrate, we do differ on crab. Dungeoness are great but Chesapeake Bay blues are still better. Sorry!

Now when California cuisine started becoming popular and highly touted in the 90s I thought it was merely a ploy to serve you not much food for a very inflated price. However, I also had to admit that while any normal man couldn't make a complete meal of it, the blending of freshness, flavors and fusion were and remain excellent. Thankfully, you no longer have to pay for three entrees in order to have enough food placed in front of you to consider a real meal.

But I also have to tell you, California beef can't even come close to Midwestern grass and grain fed beef. Compared to what we get here at much lower cost (sometimes 1/2 or less), CA beef is flavorless and over-processed. What we buy locally has no hormones, fillers, saline solutions or other additives. It's just beef! The same goes for our chicken and pork.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Dude, you're crazy. Nobody takes California food seriously.
Nobody, except for people who care about food. Evidently, that doesn't include you.

Quote:
No. Never. I've heard of the California Pizza Kitchen, but I don't know anyone who's ever gone there. New York, Philly, New Orleans, Texas, Carolina, Chicago, Kansas City, Memphis, these are your food regions. For example, who makes the best California-style cheesesteak?
I'll give you that CPK sucks, but then again, I can't think of any restaurant that has "Texas" in their name that's been particularly good. Or rather any that has had Texas in their name at all.

I don't know where you came up with those "food regions." the only ones that make sense on there are New York, New Orleans, and Chicago. Being famous for Cheese Steak does not a "food region" make. By that logic I've never heard of Texas-style cheesesteak either. Carolina? Kansas City? Really?

Quote:
Most of America thinks California eats tofu and bean sprouts. I've never heard of a good California rib shack.
Wow, way to stereotype California. Come to think of it, way to stereotype "Most of America" too.

Quote:
The best crab comes from the Chesapeake. Florida Stone Crab is also strong.
I won't deny both of these are good, but SF Dungeness crab is also good.

Quote:
That comes from Alaska.
Not exclusively. The very best comes from Alaska, but it also comes from BC, WA, OR, & CA. Any of these > Atlantic salmon. No comparison.

Quote:
California olives suck. Their groves just can't make a decent olive, despite lots of trying, and that's why California olives are regularly sold stuffed, to cover up for the bad taste. Nobody buys California olive oil. Nobody. You grow a lot of garlic. That doesn't mean it tastes any better than garlic grown in my garden. It's a crop, not a cuisine.
Like I've said and pointed out in my first post (and 18Montclair has too), California does very well for cuisine.

As far as garlic being a crop, so what if it's a crop, not a cuisine? You'd have no cuisine without crops, correct? The crops here are better. We have the best climate year-round for growing most of these.

[quote]
You don't like Tex-Mex? What? Everyone likes Tex-Mex. It's one of America's favorite foods.
[/quote

So's McDonald's, that doesn't mean it's good food.

Quote:
By the way, if it weren't for the guacamole served at Tex-Mex joints, you wouldn't sell half of those avocados.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Dude, you're crazy. Nobody takes California food seriously. Wine, yes. That's it. You slap "California" on food, and people think "what do those tofu eaters know about it?"
Most of America thinks California eats tofu and bean sprouts. I've never heard of a good California rib shack.
When I've seen the occasional item that comes from California, such as Columbus salame, I'm met with "really? California?" Most people think you're all vegetarians.
The best crab comes from the Chesapeake. Florida Stone Crab is also strong.That comes from Alaska.California olives suck. Their groves just can't make a decent olive, despite lots of trying, and that's why California olives are regularly sold stuffed, to cover up for the bad taste. Nobody buys California olive oil. Nobody. You grow a lot of garlic. That doesn't mean it tastes any better than garlic grown in my garden. It's a crop, not a cuisine.You don't like Tex-Mex? What? Everyone likes Tex-Mex. It's one of America's favorite foods.By the way, if it weren't for the guacamole served at Tex-Mex joints, you wouldn't sell half of those avocados.
Notice how you have to use the ENTIRE country just to compete with California. Texas doesn't even have the best barbecue. That would go to KC.

Guess you've never heard of the the California Cobb Salad, the California Roll, Santa Maria Style Barbecue, baby back ribs, Tri Tip, Dungeness Crabs, Striped Bass, Baja Style, Fresh Mex, Fish Tacos, or California raisins or oranges, apples, artichokes, asparagus, fresh dates, figs, garlic, and persimmons. Trader Joe's...that's us! Wolfgang Puck--he started here too. Not to mention our wine production.

Guess you've also never heard of any of CA's fast food exports such as
McDonalds,
A&W,
Weinerschnitzel,
Taco Bell,
Pizza Hut,
Carl's Jr.,
In N Out,
Fatburger,
Del Taco,
Baja Fresh,
Rubios,
Jack in the Box,
Big Boy,
The Hat,
Chipotle.

Californians even invented the drive through.

TX has NOTHING on us in terms of food production! Know your role. Look and learn, son!

Last edited by Jay100; 11-02-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. There is nothing remarkable or exceptional about California food, wine, excepted.

You can eat far better in Missouri or Florida than you can in California. You've developed a taste for California food, whatever it might be. The rest of the country hasn't.
I've lived in multiple states and countries.... and California's food is among the best. Just because it isn't slathered in sauces and deep fried doesn't mean it isn't good.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:21 PM

583 posts, read 884,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Notice how you have to use the ENTIRE country just to compete with California. Texas doesn't even have the best barbecue. That would go to KC.
That's silly. KC makes ribs. TX makes brisket and hot link. Completely different BBQ regions.

Quote:
Guess you've never heard of the the California Cobb Salad, California Roll, Santa Maria Style Barbecue, baby back ribs, Tri Tip [you already said this], Dungeness Crabs, Baja Style, Fresh Mex, Fish Tacos.
That's it? You have the most population and this weak selection of food? Fish tacos? No, thank you. That doesn't sound very good.

You've proven my point. California is not a food state.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
No. I just explained that BBQ is cooked via smoke, not fire. Fire is grilling, not BBQ'ing. Further, Texas and the South are where BBQ is made. You'd get laughed at if you went to Memphis and started talking about California-style BBQ.

By the way, what else does California BBQ besides sirloin? How are California's ribs, hot link, pork shoulder, mullet, turkey and brisket?

Brisket is fantastic, and California would be wrong and sloppy in its classifications, because country ham has little to do with BBQ brisket, though both are smoked.

As for tri-tip, if I want sirloin steak, I'll just get a prime sirloin from a real butcher. No need to go for the lesser cut from a box store. When I'm down around Santa Maria I'll try the tri-tip there.
You keep saying sirloin, it said tri tip or sirloin. Are you ever down around Santa Maria? Have you ever been to CA?

Your definition of bbq is wrong. Have you seen bbq specials on the food network? They regularly include Santa Maria style and California oak fire grilled veggies. California has the best produce in the United States. Have you been to a Central Market here in Texas? They have outstanding produce and they label where each item is from, check it out 90% California.
Brisket is good, but is a crappy cut of meat.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
ITT, opinions are passed off as facts. I love the wide variety of cuisine here. Indian food and sushi everywhere simply kicks ass.

The best BBQ places however all have one thing in common, we imported them from the southern states. Especially this orgasmic BBQ joint in Sacramento, I wish I could remember the name of the place, but the family was from Georgia.

I haven't had a single decent cajun meal since I left Texas.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Stereotypes are for small minds and Cupcake takes the cake. It doesn't matter if you're calling Blacks criminals or or whites racists or Texans fat. If Texans are fatter than other states its probably by about 3%. I live in Texas and run several miles a few times a week 5'10 178 what about you Cupcake?

Americans are fatter than most other countries but not all are fat.

California and Texas both have some scenic and great places. Both have dumb-assed governors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California