Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Did you not read the article about why North Carolina is ranked first for business climate from the OP's link?

"“I tell prospects I will work as aggressively as anybody in the state to keep taxes where they are — I understand that tax issues are drivers,” says the governor. “I can promise them the state will be as regulatory-[burden]-free as possible. We need to do whatever we can do to make it easier in our state for people to do business.

“We need to build on what we have and make sure it’s a priority for everybody. We’ve done a series of initiatives around small business and making the state as aggressive as possible for them,” says Gov. Perdue. “It’s not all just about attracting the big companies, although there is nothing that makes me happier. So I continue to focus on the low cost of doing business here and the skills and knowledge of the work force and our quality of life."

Governor Bev Perdue gets it. I would rather elect *her* than the candidates we have now.
I bet McCrory beats her in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
"“I tell prospects I will work as aggressively as anybody in the state to keep taxes where they are — I understand that tax issues are drivers,” says the governor. “I can promise them the state will be as regulatory-[burden]-free as possible. We need to do whatever we can do to make it easier in our state for people to do business.
That's fine, but if that means letting businesses walk all over the environment and treat their employees like crap then you can forget it.

All the money in the world is not worth it.

California will continue to reap the economic blessings that come from taking care of each other and protecting nature's bounty.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's fine, but if that means letting businesses walk all over the environment and treat their employees like crap then you can forget it.

All the money in the world is not worth it.

California will continue to reap the economic blessings that come from taking care of each other and protecting nature's bounty.

Better to have bruised egos than to be without a job. The government will continue to bring in companies for tax revenue purposes.

At some point, California will go broke if they don't do something about the current business climate. Then what? Where will the state government get their revenue?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Doesn't it have to start reaping those benefits first?

Most unfortunately, idealism doesn't put beans, bacon and biscuits on the table!

Given the choice between empty rhetoric and full bellies...

Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Better to have bruised egos than to be without a job.
California's job picture is only an exaggerated version of the nation as a whole. It not like California is suffering while all 49 other states are flying high.

No, we caught the brunt of this recession because of our housing market and that is something that is slowly fixing itself.

It would be very foolish to think that California is now on a permanent downward spiral considering all the things it has going for it including all the of the cutting edge industries CA dominates.

Quote:
The government will continue to bring in companies for tax revenue purposes.
And Californians continue to create far more new businesses than the total of businesses that leave the state-by a VERY WIDE MARGIN at that.

It's not true that businesses are fleeing the state, Henton said. Adding up the numbers of businesses that started up compared with those that closed or moved elsewhere showed that the state gained a net average of 58,500 new businesses each year from 1995 to 2008, the report said.

California leads nation in green tech - SFGate

Quote:
At some point, California will go broke if they don't do something about the current business climate.
Actually the current business climate hasnt really stopped companies from being founded and flourish here.

What some corporations and businesses want is nothing short of corporate welfare and I don't think CA needs to reward that.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
I've lived and gainfully worked, paid taxes, gave to charities VOLUNTARILY, etc... but enough is enough. In this state we are definitely not "helping EACH OTHER" the 'help' is only flowing one way. The bums and unproductive citizens are asking for more, and are recieving more and more from those who work and do research and are self sufficient, and even then 'the poor' (in california a 'poor' bum that never even tried to get a job drives a BMW and has comcast premium TV) have the gall to complain they are not subisdized enough.

The declining pool of productive citizens is helping the growing pool of bums and freeloaders. We are not helping each other, the proverbial 'help' only goes one way in this state from folks that actually do something to those that just whine and ask for handouts.

It is not sustainable either, at some point CA will run out of people that work for a living and produce the wealth that the Sacramento and local politicians are so fond of distributing.

p.s. I am only speaking for middle class and blue collar jobs - the backbone of this state and the country, not the mega corp exec scumbags whom I have a special axe to grind with

Last edited by wellyouknow; 11-01-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
According to the Bureau of Labor statistics California' Average employment increase 1.8 million jobs from 1990 to 2008. During that same time our population increased 7.2 million. That's some real wonderful job creation.

Check out the info for yourself and you decide. Every county in California is broken down.

CA Regional Economies Employ, California LaborMarketInfo

Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
According to the Bureau of Labor statistics California' Average employment increase 1.8 million jobs from 1990 to 2008. During that same time our population increased 7.2 million. That's some real wonderful job creation.

Check out the info for yourself and you decide. Every county in California is broken down.

CA Regional Economies Employ, California LaborMarketInfo

So you've just proven that we actually grew by 1.8 Million jobs instead of having a net loss overall.

Er, thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
So you've just proven that we actually grew by 1.8 Million jobs instead of having a net loss overall.

Er, thanks
That is an 18 year period. Keep in mind that if the most recent two years were included, the job growth would be far smaller, and possibly negative (over a twenty year period). Remember that 2.3 million in California are unemployed now.

Population growth is far outstripping job growth. Not good. That means the people without jobs are not paying income taxes (and other taxes), and increasing the demand for government services without paying for them.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:

Er, thanks
Thanks for what. I'll I've shown is how dismal the job growth has been.
Who cares if we have had a net gain it only occurred because of population growth. The population growth is 2% higher than the job growth in those 18 years. That means we have actually declined in the amount of jobs available for our population. Where in the hell is the silver lining in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California