Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:42 AM

160 posts, read 865,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If you can get away from CA, why not move to a place where there are jobs?
Because that's mean to lose everything I've done until now. I said I am almost done with my credentials: done with my coursework and need only internship to get my full credential. Wouldn't be just a pitty to throw everything away and go I-don't-know-where to do something completely different, only because there are jobs there (I don't know what kind of jobs anyway)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveCali View Post
Because that's mean to lose everything I've done until now. I said I am almost done with my credentials: done with my coursework and need only internship to get my full credential. Wouldn't be just a pitty to throw everything away and go I-don't-know-where to do something completely different, only because there are jobs there (I don't know what kind of jobs anyway)?
Do you have to do your internship in CA? If you're desperate to find an internship or a job, there are jobs in places like reservations in the southwest.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Do you have to do your internship in CA? If you're desperate to find an internship or a job, there are jobs in places like reservations in the southwest.

Obviously you don't know the rules one has to follow in order to get a teaching credential, and that's ok, I will present them to you. Bref: during the internship which lasts for 6 months, the student has to attend seminars at the university where s/he is doing his/her credential, so the intern job cannot be more than let's say 30 miles away form the university, because no person in the right mind can do such a commute and be on time with class work, and do the teacher job well enough to pass the internship requests. And no, one cannot do the internship in some other state because one will never get her/his credential from the California university where s/he began. HTH.

Last edited by loveCali; 11-07-2010 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

I don't know the rules for teachers' credentials, but there are plenty of exceptions for school psychologists. We have an intern who travels about 5 hours round-trip to intern where I work.
If I were you, I'd be willing to travel further or ask your university for some kind of accommodation where you can work somewhere else, wherever there actually is a job or internship and schedule your supervisory meetings at more convenient times or via internet and/or telephone.
My understanding is that most people finish coursework and the internship only requires meeting occasionally with a supervisor. Am I wrong on this point?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM

I don't know where is your intern doing his/her credentialing program, it depends on the university. You can be an intern even before finishing the coursework, so maybe you can still have 1-2 classes left. I don't, butI'd have to attend once a week the seminar that is mandatory to be taken while an intern, as well as other meetings with the supervisor that the university assigns to each intern. The seminar cannot be taken whenever everybody wants, it has a certain schedule, the same for all the interns in that TED program. Also, the university doesn't make any arrangements for any of the students because it would create a precedent. I know from my advisor that things like this one cannot be done. If you don't like it, you're free to go somewhere else, meaning you can lose the course credits if the other university doesn't accept them (which is very possible), therefore leaving you with tons of student loans to be paid from a c..ppy wage from a c..ppy job other than the teaching one, because that's right, you didn't get the teaching credential. Sad. And dissapointing, because they teach us all kind of modern techniques and strategies and when you go in the field you can see that teachers there use the same old school strategies, nothing has changed although we're supposed to reform education for our kids.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 AM

I'd be pretty upset with a university where I was paying thousands of dollars and then have them not recognize the current reality of the job market and not try to be helpful to you. I'm hoping you can find a way to make this work, but, I'd get several others together who are in the same boat and complain to the chair of the education department. Nothing is written in stone. That's one thing I've learned over the years.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks Snort, that's good to know. But the reality where there is high need of teachers in/around LA, in areas like Inglewood or East LA, and still they even don't give you the chance of getting to the interview, is here and it's not going to change.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
So what good is all the time you've put in if you can't find an internship, much less and actual job, in SoCal? How long are you prepared to wait before deciding the well's dry?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm not waiting. Meanwhile I started a Master's degree in Education and I'm almost done with that too; I still have the thesis to write and hopefully by next Summer I'll graduate with a MA Ed degree. If I can find an intern job, I'll go with it deffinitely because I love working as a teacher. If not, I will look for a job according with my new qualifications.

Do you suggest to just throw away all the things I've learned, only to work my current sh...tty job, like nothing ever happened? I'm not that kind of person. But I'm also disappointed in all the talks about needing this and that for lots and lots of school districts, and then keeping all as it used to be, and not making the so-much-needed changes.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveCali View Post
I'm not waiting. Meanwhile I started a Master's degree in Education and I'm almost done with that too; I still have the thesis to write and hopefully by next Summer I'll graduate with a MA Ed degree. If I can find an intern job, I'll go with it deffinitely because I love working as a teacher. If not, I will look for a job according with my new qualifications.

Do you suggest to just throw away all the things I've learned, only to work my current sh...tty job, like nothing ever happened? I'm not that kind of person. But I'm also disappointed in all the talks about needing this and that for lots and lots of school districts, and then keeping all as it used to be, and not making the so-much-needed changes.
No, I'm suggesting that if you can't get a teaching job here, you may have to go somewhere that you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California