Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM

58 posts, read 193,422 times

Advertisements

I'm in the processing of moving to California. My research has narrowed my choices to La Jolla or Laguna area. I'm not opposed to Newport but I've been told Newport is as superficial as Vegas; that's what I'm trying to get away from. My wants are to be near beach activity but close enough to city life (about a 30 min drive). My question, if you had a choice as a single woman, 38 yr, no children and an entrepreneur; from Dana Point to Huntington Beach where would you live? And of course, there's La Jolla...

Thank you for your suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 09:20 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,252 times
jolla and its not even close

Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
jolla and its not even close
I guess I should say LA and South. From this forum, I have come to the conclusion, La Jolla is my best bet for my needs. I've been told Northern CA: Santa Barbara & Ventura area is nice but a liitle quiet & slow for a single woman with no children..

Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 PM

376 posts, read 1,506,052 times
La Jolla is pretty slow as well, but downtown SD has lot's to do and new building so you could get a deal. I prefer OC and would recommend Dana Point, Newport or if you wanted to go up north Long Beach in Belmont Shores area is nice. On the border of Irvine/Newport new high rises catered to young exec. lifestyle are doing really well.
Keep in mind the beach is pretty much 20-30 minutes away from everywhere.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturbe View Post
La Jolla is pretty slow as well, but downtown SD has lot's to do and new building so you could get a deal. I prefer OC and would recommend Dana Point, Newport or if you wanted to go up north Long Beach in Belmont Shores area is nice. On the border of Irvine/Newport new high rises catered to young exec. lifestyle are doing really well.
Keep in mind the beach is pretty much 20-30 minutes away from everywhere.
I'm confused because I just drove that whole area, and Dana point, Newport and Long Beach are all right on the water/ocean?? Are you talking places that are more inland??

I loved Dana Point but it felt slow and yes, there aren't beaches there...

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 AM

179 posts, read 921,696 times
i could so go leykis on this post.... but i won't!

the areas you talked about are sloooooooooooooooooow.

Huntington Beach is the most lively area, but still... boring. ((unless you know people who party that is)). you'd probly enjoy pasadena.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
i could so go leykis on this post.... but i won't!

the areas you talked about are sloooooooooooooooooow.

Huntington Beach is the most lively area, but still... boring. ((unless you know people who party that is)). you'd probly enjoy pasadena.
I live in Vegas, and I have no doubt most places are going to be slower besides NYC. That's why Lajolla seems like the best choice because I'm 15 mins from SD.
I'm not looking for a fast paced or party place. A nice quality lifestyle, and yes with things to do - from beach activities to a concert..

Last edited by leavingvegas; 07-09-2007 at 09:14 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
La Jolla is filled with very expensive real estate - as is Laguna - lots of wealth and lots of wealthy keep-up-with-the-Joneses type people. I think Seal Beach is much slower paced, less pretentious type people, old fashioned down town main street with a pier and good restaurants, shopping, antique stores - a fun nursery - just down the street from Trader Joe's - quite a few good spas in the area - around the corner from Naples - charming expensive homes built around canals (yes they do have gondola rides) with a walkway that takes you all over the island....Belmont Shore is literally within walking distance from Seal Beach - freeway close to lots of things - right next to Sunset and Huntington Beach - it is a place where shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts are worn 12 months out of the year. I was born in CA and have lived her my whole life and know all the coastal cities fairly well. I adore Laguna but it is so packed with traffic and people most of the time that I know it would be a difficult place to live.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
La Jolla is filled with very expensive real estate - as is Laguna - lots of wealth and lots of wealthy keep-up-with-the-Joneses type people. I think Seal Beach is much slower paced, less pretentious type people, old fashioned down town main street with a pier and good restaurants, shopping, antique stores - a fun nursery - just down the street from Trader Joe's - quite a few good spas in the area - around the corner from Naples - charming expensive homes built around canals (yes they do have gondola rides) with a walkway that takes you all over the island....Belmont Shore is literally within walking distance from Seal Beach - freeway close to lots of things - right next to Sunset and Huntington Beach - it is a place where shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts are worn 12 months out of the year. I was born in CA and have lived her my whole life and know all the coastal cities fairly well. I adore Laguna but it is so packed with traffic and people most of the time that I know it would be a difficult place to live.
When I drove along the coastline, it didn't appear Seal Beach was all that nice until I got to Rancho Palos Verdes. Seal Beach appeared seedy or maybe I mistaken Long Beach for Seal Beach...
Due to my business (home stager/decorator), I need to be in or around an area that has affluent people.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
What you may consider "seedy" may be just what I consider "beachy" - there are tons of multi-million dollar homes in Seal Beach and Long Beach....you can't just drive down the coast to assess an area - there are affluent people all over California and often the most expensive homes are not at the beach. If you want to live in an affluent area, then look at realtor.com and look at how expensive the homes are in different areas of So. California - there are areas of tremendous wealth from San Diego to the northern border of California - certainly a concentration of wealth in Orange County - San Francisco has some of the most expensive real estate in the country.

Naples (part of Long Beach) has homes worth tens of millions of dollars with yachts as does Newport Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California