Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times

Advertisements

A lot of landlords do not want items that will need service or repair. I knew a owner who refused to have garbage disposals under the sinks as she felt they would be mis-used and need replacing.
Also some things follow regionally, do you pay for electricity? Many rentals have utilities included, running a AC all summer will triple a electric bill.

My brother rented out his condo in New York, everytime he drove by the lights were all lit up regardless the time of day. He and the tenant bumped heads on thay for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A lot of landlords do not want items that will need service or repair. I knew a owner who refused to have garbage disposals under the sinks as she felt they would be mis-used and need replacing.
Also some things follow regionally, do you pay for electricity? Many rentals have utilities included, running a AC all summer will triple a electric bill.

My brother rented out his condo in New York, everytime he drove by the lights were all lit up regardless the time of day. He and the tenant bumped heads on thay for years.
It is rare for electricity/gas to be included in California.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM

27 posts, read 30,450 times
I lived in Larkspur for years and a window fan was usually enough.
Sure could have used a wood burning stove during the winter tho!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I admit my eyes bugged out when I saw the amount you're paying in rent, but it's only about $1 per sf per month.. I would be delighted with that..

It's not just Marin. Air conditioning is very rare in San Jose which is a lot hotter. The only people I know with a/c live in townhouses or brand new apartments. Marin has a lot of older housing stock and is very anti-development. I don't know of any prior laws against a/c but somehow I doubt it was ever illegal.
I live in SJ and second what sonarrat is saying here. It's typically a few degrees hotter here than Marin, not so much during the day..but it doesn't cool off quite as much at night.

Blazing hot in Marin? I know they have their hot days, but really, it's not that bad.

I do think the climate has warmed up a few degrees since many of those homes were built, though...and that may be part of the reason...Since places like Marin & San Jose are right on the edge between hot zones like the Central Valley & cooler parts of the coast, a summer temperature that averaged 2 or 3 degrees cooler 30 years ago tipped the balance away from air conditioning (esp. because of the expense).

Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Just wait 20 or 30 years when we start entering the cooling cycle. You know how all these wack jobs talk about global warming. I remember when they were telling us we were going to have another ice age because things were cooling down. Every 30 years or so you get stuck between cycles. LOL

Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wait 20 or 30 years when we start entering the cooling cycle. You know how all these wack jobs talk about global warming. I remember when they were telling us we were going to have another ice age because things were cooling down. Every 30 years or so you get stuck between cycles. LOL
good point.

Nita

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Umm. When exactly were they saying things were cooling and another ice age was coming?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm. When exactly were they saying things were cooling and another ice age was coming?

Global cooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I grew up in Mill Valley and can't remember a single day day that was really hot. Marin folks are very environmentally conscious and wouldn't waste money and energy on air conditioning only wanted a few days a year when a ceiling fan will do nicely.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It is rare for electricity/gas to be included in California.
I agree, I see it in other states. I think you would only run into it here in CA in illegal rentals. Like a split house or odd duplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California