Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times

Advertisements

...three of them while I was out picking up my newspaper this morning. What a comfort to know it's because deer season opened yesterday and not because of drive-bys.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What a comfort to know it's because deer season opened yesterday and not because of drive-bys.
According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities.

How Many People are Killed or Injured in Hunting Accidents - Hunting Accidents Kill and Injure Thousands

California led the nation in drive-by shootings during a six-month period in 2008 with 148 reported shootings that killed 40 and injured 129

from

Study: California leads U.S. in drive-by shootings | California Watch

Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities.
Well, since I wasn't shot and killed in combat way back when, I'd much rather be shot by accident out in the wild than standing on my front porch in front of my home which should be a safety zone.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
What a comfort to know it's because deer season opened yesterday and not because of drive-bys.
Yeah but you're stuck waiting for some silly season to open. Here in L.A. drive-by shooting season lasts all year round, doesn't require payment of a license fee, can be done 24 hours a day (IIRC deer hunters cannot hunt at night) and with drive-bys you don't need to bother to verify if you have a valid target. In fact judging from the results it appears that having a verified target might even be a liability.

And the most drive-by fun of all, you can hold the gun's grip horizontally and look like a big bad gangsta, and instead of your bullets uselessly going up in the air when the gun kicks they get spread out horizontally so as to get a wider spread on your target(s), which is probably good for shooters who are compromised by drugs or alcohol.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yeah but you're stuck waiting for some silly season to open. Here in L.A. drive-by shooting season lasts all year round, doesn't require payment of a license fee, can be done 24 hours a day (IIRC deer hunters cannot hunt at night) and with drive-bys you don't need to bother to verify if you have a valid target. In fact judging from the results it appears that having a verified target might even be a liability.

And the most drive-by fun of all, you can hold the gun's grip horizontally and look like a big bad gangsta, and instead of your bullets uselessly going up in the air when the gun kicks they get spread out horizontally so as to get a wider spread on your target(s), which is probably good for shooters who are compromised by drugs or alcohol.

Arrrrgh! I shoulda thought of all that!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post

How Many People are Killed or Injured in Hunting Accidents - Hunting Accidents Kill and Injure Thousands

California led the nation in drive-by shootings during a six-month period in 2008 with 148 reported shootings that killed 40 and injured 129

from

Study: California leads U.S. in drive-by shootings | California Watch
One after my own heart.

+1

Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Well, since I wasn't shot and killed in combat way back when, I'd much rather be shot by accident out in the wild than standing on my front porch in front of my home which should be a safety zone.
Get shot by accident out in the wild and it could be many hours journey to the emergency room. Get shot by accident on your front porch and it'll probably be only 10-15 minutes journey to the emergency room, although you might be held up several hours before treatment by waiting for illegal aliens to have their colds and coughs and skinned knees treated.

Bonus for drive by shootings: you don't have to hang your victim from a tree and gut and bleed him out.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Get shot by accident out in the wild and it could be many hours journey to the emergency room. Get shot by accident on your front porch and it'll probably be only 10-15 minutes journey to the emergency room, although you might be held up several hours before treatment by waiting for illegal aliens to have their colds and coughs and skinned knees treated.

Bonus for drive by shootings: you don't have to hang your victim from a tree and gut and bleed him out.
Ergo, you miss out on half the fun!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Curmudgeon

Have you ever ate venison? I like it myself but have only eaten it twice. My relatives in the Sacramento valley have hunted deer and pheasant also; both taste good to me.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Although not addressed to me, I loved venison but I'm not a hunter and none of my friends are currently active hunters. I like sage hen too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: