Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

I'd rather just require the educational institutions to charge students the same no matter where their residence is. Why discriminate against out of state students?

I'll make you a deal. Let's charge legal US residents the same tuition no matter where their residence is, and we can charge foreign nationals the same tuition.

Fair for everybody, right? Or otherwise you're discriminating against residents of the other 49 states in favor of people who are here illegally. That isn't fair!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The not so liberal side is coming out in me now. In short, we absolutely should not be providing for them. I'm a citizen. I want to go back to school right now but can't afford it. I did everything the right way; I worked hard for a long time at a job that gave me little else than a paycheck and medical benefits (which I had to make small payments to have). I've paid my taxes but I get nothing for free and don't expect to.

So no, I don't agree with this court ruling.
I've not seen anything about college being "free" for anyone Gentoo. What are you reading?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
In-state tuition for illegal immigrants is preserved with California Supreme Court ruling [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

is anyone else torn on this? i understand that it is not fair to kids from other states who are american citizens, but i don't think it is all bad either. illegal immigrants tend to be extremely poor, so giving the youth an opportunity to educate themselves and pull themselves out of the depths of poverty seems to be a pretty good idea. since the illegals aren't going anywhere anyways (due to their large numbers), we might as well give them a path out of crime and poverty. it costs us nothing if an immigrant chooses not to take advantage of this offer anyways. having said that, the subsidies to in-state students are pretty large and this would cost the state a lot of money. i would just hope that this would be an investment that would pay off in the long run.

FWIW, i am not a bleeding-heart liberal. i am looking at this strictly from an economic point of view, although there is a social impact as well. i'd much rather give a man a rod to catch his own fish.
in-state, hey let's go all the way, FREE education for illegals

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
in-state, hey let's go all the way, FREE education for illegals
Hey there's already at least one scholarship fund that's only open to illegals.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
serious question, are you not eligible for in-state tuition?
I'm eligible, but I can't seem to swing the same types of deals as a citizen that illegals can

Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Big load of crap! Deport all illegal immigrants back to Mexico. I no longer feel sorry for them. The fact that I, being American born has to pay full tuition while some illegals get in half price is CRAP. I am a liberal guy but this is ridiculous. I don't know how any liberal could support this unless they are illegal themselves.....
Ok dude, despite how you feel about me, I have to give you props for that. I too am a liberal who feels the same way as you

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
If you are a resident, you get the same benefit, if you aren't a resident, please remember that this benefit applies to residents.

I suggest you all step back and read "Breaking Through" by Francisco Jimenez. Time to open some eyes.
No, I do not get the same benefits. No one is championing for me to get help for college. I am told that I need to find a way to pay myself, period. I make too little to afford to, but too much for a free ride. Not fair!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Let me illuminate with a couple of anecdotes;

Juan, he and his family entered this country illegally. Today he is both a citizen and a renown professor in one of California's finest Universities.

Pedro, he and his family entered this country illegally. Today he is both a citizen and a prominent businessman in his community employing over 1200 employees.

Why? Because they were given a free public education and the opportunity for higher education, given them by the enlightened citizens of this nation.

Some of you would prefer that they be gangsters and drug pushers the usual result of being denied the tools to improve themselves and serve their communities.
No no no! That is not what we're saying. The problem I think most of us have is that citizens of this country do not have that same opportunity when it comes to charity. Wanna help the illegals? Fine but what about those of us who could have taken a similar path had we been offered the same assistance?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've not seen anything about college being "free" for anyone Gentoo. What are you reading?
My dear Ceece; where in the post you quoted did I say anything about college being free?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My dear Ceece; where in the post you quoted did I say anything about college being free?
You didn't say college is free but you did say this,
"No, I do not get the same benefits. No one is championing for me to get help for college. I am told that I need to find a way to pay myself, period. I make too little to afford to, but too much for a free ride. Not fair!"

I am generally pretty liberal (as you are) and I agree with your general view: illegal immigrants should pay the same as out-of-state residents.

That said, I don't see where this ruling cuts illegals a cheaper deal on tuition than you can get as an in-state resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California