Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times

Advertisements

The CHP is writing tickets left & right. Speeding tickets have increased 300% this year alone. The state is desperate for revenue so if the speed limit is 65 then go 65. Also if the cop says your ticket will be $100.00 dont believe him. As of 1-09 the horrid ca legislature enacted a new law that has a added fee to your ticket to pay for the state courthouses that they claim are falling apart. A $100.00 ticket will easily be over $300.00. A normally $20.00 cell phone ticket will cost you $132.00. A friend of mine had a one day operating permit from the dmv & the CHP pulled him over on the freeway & gave him a fix it ticket even though he had all the legal paperwork. The cop didnt have to do that once he saw the paperwork. I guess he had to prove his power like most cops do especially the LAPD.

Last edited by steel7; 07-08-2009 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Where are your sources? I don't really believe this...

Its too easy to say that just because the state is out of money that the cops are writing more tickets to try and make more money. Sounds too formulaic...

I haven't seen an increase in the number of people getting pulled over... If anything I've seen less over the past year.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 AM

433 posts, read 1,619,740 times
I am on a construction project that involves a City Police Dept. and my sisters boyfriend is a county Sheriff. I can't speak for the CHP but city police departments are writing more tickets because your ticket fee goes directly to the police department. If a county Sheriff writes a ticket the ticket fee goes to the county so they are much less inclined to actually write traffic tickets.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Where are your sources? I don't really believe this...

Its too easy to say that just because the state is out of money that the cops are writing more tickets to try and make more money. Sounds too formulaic...

I haven't seen an increase in the number of people getting pulled over... If anything I've seen less over the past year.
I disagree. Everyday on 80 within a 5-mile radius of my apartment, I see at least 1 person pulled over everyday and I'm not even on 80 much. I would have to believe that's higher than it's ever been. I also received a ridiculous ticket near Tahoe where I was coming down a long hill at 15 over the limit (70 in a 55) and I knew he was going to pull me over, so I slowed and pulled into the area he was sitting (thinking he would be impressed with my honest move). Nah, he drilled me with a $270 dollar ticket. Brutal.

Of course that's going to be the way cities make extra money when they're getting less in all forms of taxes. Why wouldn't they? It sounds formulaic being it is. Why wouldn't they do that? I can't even blame them - I'd do it too. Drive the limit now, folks.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
A warning to all, don't pull your trailer over 55. I saw over 20 cars/trucks pulling boats and jet skis pulled over for trying to drive 65 on the freeway.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Doesn't everybody have a radar detector?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
I drive more freeway then city & i have seen quite a increase on the I10 east freeway between redlands & palm springs. I do understand that they need the money but they are nitpicking. Its not our fault the no good, foul, scummy ca legislature is the worse in ca history. If these bums could make it illegal to fart in ca & fine you $100.00 they surely would. UGH!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Roll with the flow and you'll be alright. So far as I know, California still has the "resonable and proper" law and that basically means keeping up with the flow of traffic. If you're not unreasonably slow, or fast, CHP won't say boo to to you.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Radar detectors will offer you no protection from a speedometer pace or lazer. IMO, anyone who buys one is almost begging for a ticket because of its vulnerabilities and inevitable complacence that will set in when you think you are being protected.

Second, as one person said above: go with the flow. Make yourself as inconspicuous as possible so you don't stand out. the person who is weaving in and out of traffic, practically pushing others out of their way, and just generally driving like an ass (which many of you do whether you want to admit it or not), is the one that's going to get the pinch.

Let's just assume for the sake of argument that a direct link exists between tickets and the budgets and you were being told by your superiors to "step up" enforcement, what would you do?

Nab the family person who is otherwise driving safe with a well maintained vehicle but going a little over the limit and maybe shake them down for $300-which there's a good chance they will try and contest?

Or wait 5 minutes under a bridge and nab someone going thirty over the limit? And get them for $1000 plus who knows whatever else you can tack on such as illegal window tint, unsafe tires, possible warrant, etc.

When you are fishing and game is plentiful, you tend to pick and choose what you keep.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
For one thing I don't think that you will see a cost for the ticket on the ticket. If you get a ticket from the CHP the amount will be missing. Each county can assess the cost of the ticket. What that means is that if you get a ticket in Riverside county going 20 MPH over the speedlimit, the cost may be differant for someone driving 20MPH over the speedlimit in Ventura County. It is up to the court of the County that originated the ticket.

As far as standing out, it is much more efficient to go with the flow, as has been mentioned. Their is strength in numbers. That doesn't always work though. I was in a car that was pulled over with 6 other cars on the way to Utah. All of us were speeding and all of us got a ticket. The CHP officer started at the front of the line took all the drivers information, wrote all the tickets and walked back up the line. The last guy was some older gentleman that had a problem with all of this and decided to argue with the officer. No one likes getting a ticket, but what I hate even more is being held up by someone else that is stopping our progress. Take the ticket and take the fight to the court room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California