Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,076,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Yeah, its a shame Bill White wasn't elected governor. Probably the best mayor Houston ever had and very savvy.
I'm not sure Houston residents are that convinced. White barely beat Perry 50/48 in Harris county. I think White is a credible man, but his fiscal record in Houston is VERY mixed. He shifted money for pensions to other areas. He spent lavishly but added significantly to Houston's debt. His reputation as a friend of illegal immigrants also hurt him.

The current mayor of Houston, a Democrat and lesbian, has openly complained about Houston's fiscal condition when she took office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm not sure Houston residents are that convinced. White barely beat Perry 50/48 in Harris county. I think White is a credible man, but his fiscal record in Houston is VERY mixed. He shifted money for pensions to other areas. He spent lavishly but added significantly to Houston's debt. His reputation as a friend of illegal immigrants also hurt him.

The current mayor of Houston, a Democrat and lesbian, has openly complained about Houston's fiscal condition when she took office.
+1

Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

The new Houston mayor won the office on a platform of fiscal responsibility. She is highly respected (at least so far) and it goes to show that Texas is not the "redneck Bibleland" that California Sur thinks it is.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,148,617 times
you want to know why people love California? Because its beautiful, diverse, and open minded. It is always going to draw people whether you like it or not. I don't hate Texas, but to put it bluntly, Texas doesnt have those things the way California does. Texas has 2 or 3 diverse cities, but California has at least 8 or 9. Texas has some natural beauty, but you cannot find the mountains, beaches, and deserts on the level that you can in California. You wont find Yosemite, the Redwood Forrest, the Riveria geography of the Coast line, or the proximity of them to each other. Texas has a few cities that are open minded, but most of Texas (outside the Major cities) is extremely closed minded. California does a much, much better job overall of welcoming you no matter who you are.

California will never be down for long. If prices come down, people will start moving there in droves. Who wouldnt want to live where you can have the beaches, mountains, forrests, and deserts close by while having 70 degree weather year round?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,756,837 times
Yes, California has nicer weather and more varied geography than Texas -- so what! Are we talking about a vacation or a place to live?

When you live somewhere, not just go there on vacation, you also have to consider the CA taxes, stupid regulations (gun control, global warming, plastic bag bans, happy meal bans, etc.), and millions of mexicans.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,653,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
you want to know why people love California? Because its beautiful, diverse, and open minded. It is always going to draw people whether you like it or not. I don't hate Texas, but to put it bluntly, Texas doesnt have those things the way California does. Texas has 2 or 3 diverse cities, but California has at least 8 or 9. Texas has some natural beauty, but you cannot find the mountains, beaches, and deserts on the level that you can in California. You wont find Yosemite, the Redwood Forrest, the Riveria geography of the Coast line, or the proximity of them to each other. Texas has a few cities that are open minded, but most of Texas (outside the Major cities) is extremely closed minded. California does a much, much better job overall of welcoming you no matter who you are.

California will never be down for long. If prices come down, people will start moving there in droves. Who wouldnt want to live where you can have the beaches, mountains, forrests, and deserts close by while having 70 degree weather year round?
Liked it that much did you?

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...sks-can-3.html

Old 11-18-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post

I won't argue that California is an attractive place for all the reasons you suggest. I have been to most of those places. Get real about California weather. It is sensational in many places. But 70 degrees year round? Not in San Francisco. Not in LA. Not in Sacramento. Certainly not in many of the areas people can afford to buy a house.

If everyone wanted what California had - why do more than 10 million people live in NYC? They have cold weather, hot humid summers, little green space, crazy cost of living, lots of noise, no place to ride a bike for fun, etc.

I think California's open-minded-ness is overstated. A great example is San Francisco. It is no more open-minded than Atlanta (or Houston). They are no more tolerant of other views than almost any other large metro. Texas per se isn't closed minded. You guys think it is. Texas has a strong culture that binds people more strongly than in many other areas. But that doesn't mean they won't listen to new ideas. Is Texas as welcoming as California to people "no matter who they are?" Probably not. But Texas is not like the south governed by Jesse Helms.

When prices come down people will move to CA in droves? I have my doubts. People have to earn a living. Cheaper housing makes that easier, but they need jobs. I'll remind you that more Americans leave California than move in and it has been happening for twenty years.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,913,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Can anyone imagine having to move to Texas because of a job? How many people say, "hell no" to the idea of moving to redneck Bibleland. I'm sure most would rather be unemployed than move to a state like Texass!
I had a friend who did make that move. Two years later she is back. She HATED Texas with a passion. She still works for the company (for another couple of months) but got them to agree to let her work from California since her job requires loads of travel.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,140,226 times
zzzzzzzzzzz

Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,148,617 times
lol Texans came running to this thread as usual. Get over yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California